Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vega Kammback Funny Car

Here's my latest project. I bought two of the AMT '76 Vega Kammback kits and I'm going to stretch the hood and give the top a slight chop. The frames (will need a slight stretch, too) are from the Revell Gene Snow funny car. The third body will sacrifice it's wheel wells that will be grafted onto the Vega body. I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive via the post. I will source an elephant motor from somewhere...I'm sharpening up the Sawzall.

Fun, fun, fun...

ygbbhblh.thumb.jpg.8e843a1518b120c376934af734eaa4a5.jpg

---------------------------

I'm going for a body somewhat like this, but I'm not going to replicate the Wonderwagon.

racing-car-chevrolet-vega-wonderwagon-funny-car-vladyslav-shapovalenko.jpg.dce4148009ed1d53e78c159539aab70d.jpg

I've always loved these cutaway drawings... RRR

• Like 8

You’ve got my attention on this one, although I have several  resin bodies, I prefer plastic. I’ve looked at those AMT bodies and they seem out of scale, too big, too wide. Im looking forward to what you do here. Great project!

36 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

I tried the same conversion. It is beyond my skills. Been watching Feepay for an AMT Vega/Astre kammback FC but they are beyond my maximum. Will be watching. 

Competition Resin has a Vega Kammback funny car body: https://ecsvr.com/cpr/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=2&subcat=2&cat=1970+funny+car 

I just prefer to make my own.... -RRR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragcarz said:

I’ve looked at those AMT bodies and they seem out of scale, too big, too wide.

I agree, they're not perfect, but it's what we have to work with, right? I ordered some Grumpy Jenkins "Grumpy's Toy" '72 Vega body and other parts on FleaBay. I'm waiting for parts to arrive to see if I can graft the '72 front end on the '76 body...AMT vs MPC, how close will the tolerances be? Stay tuned.... -RRR

42 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I agree. I'm hoping I can change that with some deft cuts with the scale sawzall. I going to get started this weekend.... -RRR

Oh, yeah. I knew that's what you are doing. I guess I was just kind of wondering how anyone at AMT could have seen that as looking anything remotely like a funny car!😅

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I guess I was just kind of wondering how anyone at AMT could have seen that as looking anything remotely like a funny car!😅

I'm sure once the manufacturer has a tooling done they look around to see haw many different variations they can make to amortize that investment. To me, the fun of building model cars: is there enough "raw material" available to modify to make what I want? The enjoyment and challenge for me is "can I put my vision into reality?". When I first got back into model building as a mid 30's aged adult after not building since I was a kid, I got frustrated that I didn't have the skills to bring my visions to reality, after being involved in the hobby for almost 40 years (yeah, I'm olde), I can build what I envision (for the most part). That makes the hobby really enjoyable for me. That's why I really like building hot rods is because there are no "rules" per se, each car/truck is an original statement of the builders concept and vision. Nostalgia drag is fun because there were so may crazy unique designs back then, shade tree mechanics cobbling parts together and hitting the strip. Admittedly, many of those cars were death traps. -RRR

• Like 2

Rocking Rodney sez “.....many of those cars were death traps”. You couldn’t be more correct using that term when describing ANY Vega panel wagon funny. The square back combined with the long flat roof created a low pressure area above and behind the car. This caused them to actually lift the rear tires off the ground at about half track. The first panel wagon ran in 1972. By mid 1973, everyone had already thrown in the towel.

My comments are not directed toward the Gary Gabelich 4 wheel drive Vega panel wagon funny. THAT ONE was a whole ‘nother kettle of fish!

16 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I'm sure once the manufacturer has a tooling done they look around to see haw many different variations they can make to amortize that investment.

Since MPC had the contract for GM's promos, at that time, I wonder why AMT even made a Vega!

To me, the fun of building model cars: is there enough "raw material" available to modify to make what I want?

I hear that! Which is the other part of my "out-loud wonderings"; I've been thinking about getting one of the Kammbacks to see if I can mate it with a stock hood and cowl from one of the MPC Vegas I have around here, to do a curbside Vega wagon. 

When I first got back into model building as a mid 30's aged adult after not building since I was a kid, I got frustrated that I didn't have the skills to bring my visions to reality, after being involved in the hobby for almost 40 years (yeah, I'm olde), I can build what I envision (for the most part). That makes the hobby really enjoyable for me.

I totally understand this. When I started this dragster in 1997, I had a pretty clear vision of what I wanted it to be. I got the "bones" done, no problem. Then, when it came time to really start putting stuff together, I realized that was above my pay grade! Not so much out of frustration, but realization, it sat until November of 2022. Since, it's the only thing I have worked on. It's very true to my vision. It's easily my best work, to date. And, I have had a helluva good time getting it completed (which should be any day, now!).

When I first started building, in 1972, I discovered very early on, that there was more in this for me, than just a way to pass time. I was all in, very quickly. From 1978 until 1982, I took a break, because I moved to the "big city", after living my life as a preacher's kid, in  small town. It only stands to reason that I would devote those years, quite literally, to sex, drugs and rock and roll! After appeasing that curiosity, I realized that I needed to create, again, so, here I am!

Nostalgia drag is fun because there were so may crazy unique designs back then, shade tree mechanics cobbling parts together and hitting the strip. Admittedly, many of those cars were death traps.

That's mostly what I build. I like the idea of incorporating cool aspects from different cars into one, while staying within the parameters of the time (including graphics that look like they belong in that time, and proper equipment), and the confines of the rules (given that I can find them!). And, yes, many of them were deathtraps! I built a replica of Dick Kraft's "The Bug" which is considered to be the first rail dragster. I've seen a photo of him driving the car with a skullcap helmet, goggles, and a t-shirt. Yikes! Anyway, I didn't intend to divert your thread. I am looking forward to following it!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've been thinking about getting one of the Kammbacks to see if I can mate it with a stock hood and cowl from one of the MPC Vegas I have around here, to do a curbside Vega wagon. 

It shouldn't be too hard to fill in the gap on the cowl. 

...and speaking of crazy death traps, check out these: https://www.motortrend.com/features/crazy-world-sideways-sidewinder-dragsters/ I have pulled parts to build one, it will get done someday... -RRR

5 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It shouldn't be too hard to fill in the gap on the cowl. 

...and speaking of crazy death traps, check out these: https://www.motortrend.com/features/crazy-world-sideways-sidewinder-dragsters/ I have pulled parts to build one, it will get done someday... -RRR

Yeah, those things! Just the thought of one of those chains snapping is scary. It would definitely be a fun project!

Okay, campers! The parts I ordered on FleaBay arrived yesterday and I wasted no time getting to work. I bought a body and related parts of the MPC "Grumpy's Toy" 1972 Vega. The only parts I really wanted was the front fascia of the body and the front grille/bumper assembly.

iuninjn.thumb.jpg.df63c79860c6b86169b1bf0a7c8ce53b.jpgjjhhbjhhbjkhb.thumb.jpg.87aaa48cc27beb000387dbd2cd3e7b15.jpg

Comparing the two bodies, the MPC body is a little narrower, probably closer to reality than the somewhat wide AMT body. A quick measurement with the calipers determined the MPC body is about 2 mm narrower at the front than the AMT Kammback body. Well within useable tolerances.

-----------------------------

First item of biz is to fire up the Sawzall and cut off the front part of the '72 body and cast the rest of the body on the junk pile....

iubhibbn.thumb.jpg.3713501372445b65fbe9e946e92a8df1.jpg

-----------

Next, cut the front off of the Kammback body and tape the '72 front end on and see what needs to be done to mate the parts together....

jnjnjn.thumb.jpg.e0e4c5392014d44c051909290c0a8a05.jpg

After some careful study, it was determined the best place to make cuts to narrow the body was marked as such in the above pic. Cuts were made and then sandpaper was slipped into the cuts to remove the needed amount of material . Remember, it was only a millimeter off on each side. 

ojjnmjkkm.thumb.jpg.e703379f4e75c86958c2548a7006e593.jpg

The parts were glued together. I'm going to bring the front wheel well forward, so I didn't glue the parts together down the side, as you can see in the pic, the parts don't line up. That will all be addressed. There will be some sanding and filing in several places, but this worked out as well as can be expected. 

---------------------------------

ybhhb.thumb.jpg.714ff71b9e645af401004da53199b0d5.jpg

I cut the front wheel well section out of the Revell Gene Snow Vega body I had and dropped it on the body. I will make the wheel well part narrower, the hole looks too wide to me.

-----------------------

Going back a little bit, the AMT '76 Kammback kit has the '72 grille on the chrome tree. I like the grille without the bumper running through it and that's what I want to do, with bumperettes on either side of the grille. Here's a comparo of the two. The "Grumpy's Toy" MPC offering has the bumper running through the grille.

iubnijn.thumb.jpg.1213630ed402790a19f8a0de4f1a71cc.jpg

The AMT grille (top) is just slightly too big to fit into the MPC opening. The MPC grille is much nicer looking and obviously drops right in to the opening on the body.

iinjnjn.thumb.jpg.8b2fbac23947ed68eeac860fe865e488.jpg

The back side of the MPC bumper/grille assembly shows the open part of the bumper runs right through the grille. Ugly. The plan is to cut off the bumper ends and use them. I will then fill in the backside opening through the center of the grille. I'll then grind out the bumper and put in a piece of Evergreen sheet styrene to cover the grille. Slixx decals offers two different '72 Vega grille options, one of a funny car grille and headlight sheet and one of the "Jungle Jim" Vega decal sheet. I'm hoping one of that can be used....

Lots more to do....

Today's project is taking body #2 and chopping the top, just a slight haircut...I want to do all of this body work before I cut the two bodies and mate them together to make the stretch. 

Thanks for playing along.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 3

Chop... Chop... Kut... Kut... Oh what a relief it is! OK... we'll see!?.  Bet it's not as easy as some think, Brother, but in your case... you have the vision! You have the will!! And, you definitely have the talent!!!! -KK

• Like 1

The chop.

Body #2 is the one I will use as the back half when (if?) the two bodies are mated together. A mild chop is in order, just enough to bring the roof down level instead of rising up in the front.

jjvhvkgv.thumb.jpg.db2a7a20df5f0d66194ad8a273e49605.jpg

Taking a gander at the body, a cut could be made at the base of the C pillar, or at the top. It was decided to make a cut at the top corner of the rear window.

----------------------------

jnlkjnlkjnm.thumb.jpg.3d52813ec0122bd64f8532ba6f568044.jpg

The plan is to remove the B pillar. I marked on the body where the B pillar was for future reference. I had intended make a jig to hold the front part of the roof in place while the A pillar was cut to make sure the roof drop was the same on both sides.

---------------------------

ughbvkjghbkj.thumb.jpg.a6ac5b26c205f3d9db674dc13148c051.jpg

These pieces of Evergreen rectangle (bottom right) were notched to hold the roof in place. I didn't end up using the jig, I just started cutting, pretty much made a mess, LOL. Cuts were made at the top of the C pillar, B pillar was removed, and slices were made at the bottom and top of the A pillar to move parts around. None of the slices were cut all the way through. Much fitting and futzing ensued to get everything lined up. It didn't go as smoothly as planned. 

-------------------------

kjnkjkj.thumb.jpg.680846b53b7bdca3884990c7d0ff2957.jpg

It's amazing how much change a small drop in the roof made! (stock body in the background).

----------------------------

khllkjkn.thumb.jpg.48395e02e9513b5a6237f3739d2ba0c7.jpg

Adding a piece of sheet styrene to fill in the back window area.....

--------------------

That's it for now. Next up, front and rear wheel well openings being massaged...

Thanks for following along..... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 8:19 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

and cast the rest of the body on the junk pile....

Something to keep in mind, if you by chance enjoy short track builds, is to keep that Vega rear body section. That body, a representation of a Tri-Five Chevy frame, BBC, and some wide tires and you have an early 80's short track modified( i.e. the AMT Rat Trap Vega).

Really enjoying watching this build come together, your work is very impressive as is your vision of a finished project.

• Like 1