Model Cars Magazine Forum

So we have the 71 Demon and 68 Coronet Hdtp kits coming out; what's next that will knock our socks off?

59 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

The Barracuda was last released as a curbside (promo and Craftsman-style kit). It would be nice to have it back, but rather than a straight-up clone of the old MPC kit, thought should REALLY be given to at least reshaping the front inner fenders, and creating an engine that will look better than what the old MPC kits had. 

Sticking to the same basic look of the original chassis and engines might have been acceptable with the Coronet and Demon, but these were greater weaknesses for the Barracuda tool. I believe that Round 2 could work up something for the Barracuda tool that can both capture the “annual-style build experience” and also be better in the details than the old Annuals were. For instance, basing the inner fender shapes on what they have in the AMT ‘70 Challenger, and creating a new Hemi engine that looks more like the one in their ‘68 Road Runner kit. 

I am sure they would work on the body (bad headlight buckets, missing front turn signal lenses), as the body on the Demon was a vast improvement over the old annnual. 

Bringing the Super Charger back with such improvements would also be great. While they are at it, they could come up with another body tool for a SE model. 

Nice Thoughts, but I'd be just as happy to have the kits exactly as they were, warts and all.

• Like 2

Oh man, you guys rock, bringing back so many memories! Here are a couple other grails I forgot to mention, plus here's a couple contact sheets of most(?) of MPC's early 80s releases. Many have come back, in one form or another, and here's hoping they ALL come back, as Alan says, "warts and all"!

832644345_tp-4075651566.jpg.5425d90ec35c2759f93793125141450e.jpg

s-l400.jpg.386658d5375161ec5ed0fb0f34c58bc5.jpg

80s_mpc_kits_01.png

80s_mpc_kits_02.png

• Like 4

A '71 Dodge Challenger would be nice too, also one of my favorites would be a mid-'70s Dodge Van. This time around I would ditch the engine and emphasize upgrading body and interior parts, plus decals a 4x4 version would be a nice addition too.

In the '80s MPC had a lot of street machines in their lineup, but they were '80s spec, so I'm wondering if '70s style upgrade street machine parts to include with kits like the '68 Coronet and create a whole new series, would fly.

Anyway....Who ten, fifteen years ago could've thought that Round-2 would become the leading manufacturer of automotive model kits.....cuz when looking at what has been announced by other manufacturers at the Nürnberg trade show so far and comparing that, to what the Kat's have been releasing this past year, and what I'm sure is still in the works, Round-2 is going for gold!

Sure they have the advantage to have a back catalog a mile long, but still cranking out something new month after month? keeps the hunger for us plastic junkies to buy more alive, and keep the cash rolling in. ;)

Kudos to the whole team, and keep on surprising us!

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens
grammar and some editing.
  • Like 3

As much as I love a good old fashioned Musclecar from the 60s, I saw several kits in those pics that I’d love to see reissued. 

71-72 Chevelle (with correct grille), any of the Chevy Monza kits, the War Eagle Trans Am, the Custom Trans Am, the silver Fiero, the Pumpin Iron Dodge truck. I’d be in to buy several of them.

• Like 1

From Stef's post above,  I would love to see the  stock Ford EXP,  The Fiero,  and 1982 + El Camino Red Alert. Maybe the 1982 Corvettes as well, I already have the ghost Rider Corvette, but everyone else needs a chance at one too.  Hopefully the recently reissued charger does well enough to have Round2 consider more 1980s subjects.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I would like to see AMT back date the '71 Duster to a '70 Duster340.

I, too, would love to see a stock 1970 Duster 340 (with period-correct custom parts as an option), as one's never been kitted. 

I've long wondered as to why MPC didn't make an annual/promo of the then-new Duster (and the Dart Swinger for this matter).

IMO, the new Demon would be a better starting point. While the AMT '71 Duster has lots of great aspects to it, some of its proportions are so-so (wiper blades and door handles are just blobs). 
I'd like to see Round2 tool up a breather and PCV for the (otherwise great) 340 engine in that kit. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 3:00 PM, tim boyd said:

There is at least one project under consideration there that is not in any of the above guesses. 

Hmm. OK, scattergun approach...

'63 Falcon convertible? Sprint hardtop for the first time ever?

First generation Barracuda?

Woodie versions of the '36/'40 Fords, or the '41 Plymouth? 

'60 El Camino? That one was always popular but did have a lot of room for improvement. Maybe tool a '60 body for the '59 kit?

Stock '67 Cougar?

And If AMT previously sold an AMX from the Jo-Han molds, would you have the right to clone it since it was sold as an AMT kit? Again, hmm...

And has Round2 looked into getting back the molds for the '66 Chevy pickup promo?

On 2/3/2024 at 9:48 PM, Stef said:

There still remain a few highly elusive MPC gems I would love love love to get my hands on:

The Pro Street Barracuda and the Super Charger are definitely two I would love to see again as well. I built at least 3 of the Super Charger's in my younger days.

• Like 1

Something way off the radar over all these years would be  a 67-69 Valiant Signet. This would be a surprise and willing to bet be very popular. The 71 Duster guts would make sense since it would be an all new tool and especially if Round2 can modularize the tools. Just a thought, but it would be way cool.

Edited by BobbyG

12 hours ago, Carmak said:

The AMT 1960 El Camino and AMT 1960 Wagon.

* Low parts count.

* High demand.

* Both kits can share the chrome tree, dash and chassis (2 kits from 1 1/2 molds).

AMT 1960 elcamino.jpg

AMT 1960 wagon.jpg

I've advocated this since the cloning program began. From an ROI viewpoint, it certainly makes sense. 

15 hours ago, Carmak said:

The AMT 1960 El Camino and AMT 1960 Wagon.

* Low parts count.

* High demand.

* Both kits can share the chrome tree, dash and chassis (2 kits from 1 1/2 molds).

AMT 1960 elcamino.jpg

AMT 1960 wagon.jpg

I have no interest in either kit at this time.

But, I can see the R.O.I. for them, and I suspect that they would be greatly wanted subjects. Given the full "Kat Treatment" With Stock , Custom & Service/Push Car options, I think they could be real hits.

Bring 'em on!

Slim chance, but I'll once again ask for a 1968-69 Cyclone fastback. They could use the less desirable '69 Cobra chassis & drivetrain to save money, I wouldn't mind. A new updated chassis & drivetrain would obviously be preferred. While we're at it, how about doing the Cyclone CJ and Spoiler II as well? 😆

Round2, if you're listening, I would happily loan you my resin Cyclone for this project!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1969 Spoiler II.jpg

Edited by fairlane1320
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, fairlane1320 said:

Slim chance, but I'll once again ask for a 1968-69 Cyclone fastback. They could use the less desirable '69 Cobra chassis & drivetrain to save money, I wouldn't mind. A new updated chassis & drivetrain would obviously be preferred. While we're at it, how about doing the Cyclone CJ and Spoiler II as well? 😆

Round2, if you're listening, I would happily loan you my resin Cyclone for this project!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1969 Spoiler II.jpg

That is one I’d love to see, kind of an overlooked muscle car.   Who made the resin one, never seen one?  

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That is one I’d love to see, kind of an overlooked muscle car.   Who made the resin one, never seen one?  

I think (THINK!) it was an outfit called Time Machine Resins.  Only saw it on Ebay.  There was some mention on the internet boards of slow order response and wonky business practices then it just disappeared.  I had even bought a Fred Cady decal sheet for the Cale Yarborough and Dan Gurney Edition Mercury Cyclones.  This would be a great addition to their line.  I think they have a good start with the old Torino Talledega kit if it still exists.

15 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I think (THINK!) it was an outfit called Time Machine Resins.  Only saw it on Ebay.  There was some mention on the internet boards of slow order response and wonky business practices then it just disappeared.  I had even bought a Fred Cady decal sheet for the Cale Yarborough and Dan Gurney Edition Mercury Cyclones.  This would be a great addition to their line.  I think they have a good start with the old Torino Talledega kit if it still exists.

I remember them...got a number of resin kits from them about 10-15 years ago... 

19 hours ago, The Junkman said:

The AMT Talladega has serious issues with the nose and grill. The nose doesn't fit at all, and the sides are shaped wrong. The grill is too narrow; the Talladega, Fairlane and Cobra all used the same grill. I tried modifying the nose piece to accept the correct grill, it didn't go well. 😄       

image.jpeg.e1495b5fdf82ad8c1e95463621cfd509.jpeg