Model Cars Magazine Forum

The new MPC 1971 Demon

gtx6970

71Demon340.jpg.a7d6f080f974d7bd4c516c341e5ca3be.jpg

Having used to own a real one. This kit was super high on my too do list. 

And So having recently retired.,,,Now is as good a time as any.

Not sure I can live with the grossly underscale kit engine.

I might have to use the AMT duster engine instead.

I have this one done several years back for an mpc 70 challenger build.

So am thinking use it here instead.

Chassis is painted to kinda sorta look OE. But my old car was undercoating. I like this better.

20240206_154602.jpg

20240206_154354.jpg

20240206_154340.jpg

20240206_154327.jpg

20240206_154319.jpg

20240206_154308.jpg

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Going to look good in B5. One of the ones I ordered just showed up today, like you, I did find it a little disappointing. I was thinking of using at least part of roll bar for my Demon build. I didn’t think it would be so puny. I do like the clear backup lenses though. Nice engine and sweet Demon

Edited by Moparman18064
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zen said:

What makes the Duster engine better than the Demon?

Just an overall better representation and more accurate scale of the engine in the engine bay.

As a general rule. Im more of an out of the box builder. But had started this engine for a MPC 1970 Challenger I have to replicate a car I used to own. So this engine has been in the file for several years. And I couldn't  live with the underscale kits engine in this build. So I'll ad maybe some more detail like heater hoses and call it good 

20240207_085416.jpg

20240207_085728.jpg

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, drodg said:

I had a 1:1 B5 71 340 also.  What or who's B5 are you using?  Scalefinishes or MCW by chance?   

Im just using a Tamiya rattle can color. Compared to an original color chip I have. its close enough.

I dont do contests so it doesnt have to be dead nuts perfect for my case. The only ones who will ever see it in person is me and my family.

With these new tools, Round 2 has a great opportunity to make corrections to issues like this. Hopefully @SteveG and the rest of the crew can take note of this.

I grabbed my Demon. To its credit, the body looks very good, the interior seems pretty decent. I was a bit surprised when going through Hamtramck Registry's dealer albums that the buckets only came in black or orange from the way I was reading it. Leaning Turquoise/black. Too bad white wasn't an option. The white would be very sharp with the turquoise.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Im just using a Tamiya rattle can color. Compared to an original color chip I have. its close enough.

I dont do contests so it doesnt have to be dead nuts perfect for my case. The only ones who will ever see it in person is me and my family.

TS54?   Thanks 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, drodg said:

TS54?   Thanks 

I had to go ck. But yes. Thats it. IMO the metallic is just a tad to much. 

But again, once cleared it will look REALLY nice in my case 

Edit, I have a can of Model Master Nassau blue here. Its close. But IMO the Tamiya is a better option

Edited by gtx6970

The engine you had done before looks well done and adding heater hoses and the radiator hoses should make it complete. These cars were a great low-cost car to own and insure as opposed to the Super Bees and Road Runners of the day. A thought on the chassis as you mentioned yours was undercoated. Try something on some scrape parts tree that I have tried. Your base body color and allow to dry. Next hold the part at arm's length and lightly sprits it with some flat black to get the desired effect. This also gives the appearance of a slightly dirty undercarriage depending on how much you spray it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kelson said:

If you use the Duster engine,you should use the Duster chassis as well it's far superior if you're into kitbashing a little.

That is the best advice. Too bad Round 2 didn't do something like that. However I'm not one to complain, just buy both kits and give it a go! (I'm using 4 kits on my '63 Riviera)

20240207_132304.thumb.jpg.f4372f9cf71df5fde30a55bfdb20111d.jpg

1 hour ago, kelson said:

If you use the Duster engine,you should use the Duster chassis as well it's far superior if you're into kitbashing a little.

Afraid I cant. I have 3 or 4 of the duster kits. All earmarked for old prostock builds.

The 340s on the other hand are a different story. 

I did get the body in its first coat of color today. But am out of clear. So its done for the day.

Chassis I carefully taped up and rattle can sprayed the fenderwells in a Fo paw undercoating kinda sorta look. ( I dont have an airbrush so I have to do it the old fashion way ,,,,Tape) 

I have house projects tomorrow,,,and next day

. So this will most likely be it for this model bench for a few days. 

20240207_130733.jpg

20240207_130743.jpg

20240207_130749.jpg

20240207_130813.jpg

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 4

A quick assessment to ck stance and make all wheels touch the surface.

I tried the amt Goodyear polyglas tires. But they are much to tall for this one

It's done for the weekend for me.

I'll get back to it one-day next week.

20240207_160117.jpg

20240207_160113.jpg

20240207_160101.jpg

20240207_160049.jpg

• Like 8

Looking so sweet.  So I am going to start here this week on my 71 Demon,  the hood I have noticed and others have mentioned this doesn't fit great.  Has anyone finished one yet and got it to fit well?   That Tamiya color btw looks very good compared to B5 for 71-72.  Watching this build thanks for posting.  

1 hour ago, drodg said:

Looking so sweet.  So I am going to start here this week on my 71 Demon,  the hood I have noticed and others have mentioned this doesn't fit great.  Has anyone finished one yet and got it to fit well?   That Tamiya color btw looks very good compared to B5 for 71-72.  Watching this build thanks for posting.  

My hood was tweaked . Much worst than it is now. It spent some time in hot water to get it better But still not perfect.  To avoid breaking it or making it worst I'll live with it as it is today

• Like 1

The one thing I will say. IMO the body line down the center of the car isnt as sharp as I feel it should be.

So maybe you all in detail builders might look into some fine masking . sanding body line work to sharpen it