Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT - 1975 AMC Gremlin X

SDC

Let me start by saying this is my 2nd build as an adult and it was largely possible thanks to many months spent lurking around this forum, learning from all of you.  So thank you for all the info!  

I'm still learning my way around my airbrush and my tools.  My goal was to have fun, learn some lessons for the future, and build something I'd be happy to look at on my shelf.  I even tried carpet (with embossing powder) and applied my first ever decal!  

This car has no special meaning to me, it just looked fun.  The colors were chosen arbitrarily, I just liked the look of the Createx Laguna Blue for some reason and the Gremlin seemed to be a good candidate.  My wife donated some nail polish for me to use on the engine.  I am colorblind, so I don't get too caught up in trying to match colors too closely.  It looked pretty close to some of the AMC engine reference pics I looked at, so I went with it!

Thanks again for all the helpful hints, you guys are great!

IMG_0740.thumb.jpg.6b29a049cf7ed964088fab30246a12c2.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg.a8813c28ff86ca243a7aab950cac2f4a.jpg

IMG_0742.thumb.jpg.5becde73ad17c95fbf4b61214b31ff98.jpg

IMG_0738.thumb.jpg.421e74b960cea7ee9d41175cbfe0d8a2.jpg

IMG_4439.thumb.jpg.f7d5b3171eb2cd77b9548e8302deaecc.jpg

IMG_0511.thumb.jpg.8578f826b5f0b416cc9a350379079005.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nicely done. Jfyi, wipers should be chrome.

Ha! Thanks for that!  I'll be honest, I didn't even think to check.  

The wipers on my truck and Jeep are black so my brain went into auto pilot thinking all wipers are black I guess.  

1 hour ago, SDC said:

Ha! Thanks for that!  I'll be honest, I didn't even think to check.  

The wipers on my truck and Jeep are black so my brain went into auto pilot thinking all wipers are black I guess.  

No worries. Looks good anyway. Engine color is close.

18 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Nicely done. Jfyi, wipers should be chrome.

Shawn, nice looking build, love seeing something different And no worries on the wiper blades, black is correct for the error. Had an AMC wagon at the time and they were black.  A lot of manufacturers went with black at the time, it was an anti-glare consideration.  They also came out with the anti-glare windshields at the time.   

Welcome to the hobby Shawn. GREAT job on this build! I can see a lot more than just embossing powder as special tricks of the trade; the shut lines filled in black, the black window surrounds, silver accents, etc. all conspire to make this one clean model I would proudly display.  

On 2/21/2024 at 8:28 PM, peteski said:

I love the bumper sticker!

That might be my favorite thing about it!

I had never applied a decal before, it somehow felt like quite an accomplishment.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:51 AM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Really nice work. Clean and simple. Sometimes that's hard to do.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:56 PM, Bainford said:

Nice, tidy work. 

18 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Welcome to the hobby Shawn. GREAT job on this build! I can see a lot more than just embossing powder as special tricks of the trade; the shut lines filled in black, the black window surrounds, silver accents, etc. all conspire to make this one clean model I would proudly display.  

Thanks so much for the kind words and motivation guys, it's greatly appreciated.

I only wish I had taken an interest in modeling sooner, I have a lot of missed years to make up for.