Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP

Hello Everybody!

With my Surf Shark Ambulance Conversion nearly completed, it's time to start another build thread.

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop.

This is one of those kits that can be built in multiple ways: drag, stock and custom or any combination of the three. I plan on building this one stock. The kit was originally released in 1963 and has been reissued multiple times in various configurations. In addition to the 2002 "1957 Ford Hardtop" version I'll be building, it's also been released as the "1957 Ford Fairlane 500". The most recent release was in 2017 and included some newly tooled parts as well as the reintroduction of most of the original custom parts.

57_Ford_00.jpg.6f06c130354bcc148643c6688bb629f8.jpg

The first color I selected was Tamiya TS-60 Pearl green. I like the shade put the pearl is not what I want for this build, it just doesn't have the Fifties feel that I'm looking for.

57_Ford_01.jpg.62cbf525ebce07cecb373b6c817aede1.jpg

I decided to try Tamiya's TS-102 Cobalt Green. Not exactly what I was looking for but a much more "Fifties" color.

57_Ford_02.jpg.dfd468644fd9a969e52e47bfb3f4c923.jpg

Masking to paint the frame rails.

57_Ford_03.jpg.b18d5f61303fb78463c5252aabb7b966.jpg

Semi-gloss black. I don't know if it's correct but it's what I'm going with.

57_Ford_04.jpg.f3f29965f9cddcd7290f0a56e2731ebc.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
  • Like 6

This'll be fun to watch.  Despite their age, these kits can really pop, especially if done as two-tones.

Can you elaborate on what new parts were tooled/added in the most recent release?  

19 hours ago, customline said:

Great start David.  You must be a patient man to be able to mask that floor. I have this kit waiting for me so I will be following with great interest 🤓

Thanks Jim, I'm glad to have you along.

I think patience is relative. Some of that work you've been doing on that '41 Plymouth would test the limits of mine.

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Looking forward to what you do with this build. I have three or four in my stash that are needing some undivided attention. Are you going two-tone or solid color?

Thanks for your comment Rick. I'll be painting this one two-tone, Tamiya TS-7 Racing White over Tamiya TS-102 Cobalt Green.

I'm curious which editions of this kit you have. From what I understand, the most recent 2017 release has some new parts added. It's the one with the gasser-style "Flashback" box art. This kit has so many good extra custom parts that I was wondering what else AMT thought this kit needed. 😮  

13 hours ago, LennyB said:

David, nice choice. This was the first kit I ever built when it came out in the "Flashback" version.  I have built a few since and have more stashed away.

Thank you Len.

According to Scalemates.com the "Flashback" kit is the most recent release and is the one to which some new parts have been added.

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep, I'm also looking forward to this one David. I'm a watchin'☺️

Thank you Mike, I'm glad to have you along.

9 hours ago, Monty said:

This'll be fun to watch.  Despite their age, these kits can really pop, especially if done as two-tones.

Can you elaborate on what new parts were tooled/added in the most recent release?  

Thanks Monty! I agree, this seems to be a good kit in spite of being more than sixty years old.

I'm afraid that I have no knowledge of what was added to the 2017 release. I got my information on the kit's history from Scalemates.com. I like to research the history of a kit before I build it and I find them to be a great source.

I'm actually curious myself to see what AMT might have felt the need to add to such an already well optioned kit.

As always, thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment. I always appreciate your feedback.

David G.

Hey, David, I have the same '02 kit. How's your hood?  On the outer surface, there is some "sinking" that can be felt. Block sanding will be needed. I'm not seeing any flash, it seems fairly crisp. I am scratching my head, however, over what was plated and what was not. 🤔

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Thank you Len.

According to Scalemates.com the "Flashback" kit is the most recent release and is the one to which some new parts have been added.

You have to dig a little deeper in Scalemates. The first "Flashback" version came out in 1968. That version was recently reissued about five years ago where they brought back some of the parts that were "lost" over the years.

36 minutes ago, LennyB said:

You have to dig a little deeper in Scalemates. The first "Flashback" version came out in 1968. That version was recently reissued about five years ago where they brought back some of the parts that were "lost" over the years.

"Scalemates" motto should be "Some of the info, some of the time, sometimes correct ,, but not always". 🙄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking good so far David.  Great body lines on the 57 Ford.

Thank you Bob. That they do!

18 hours ago, customline said:

Hey, David, I have the same '02 kit. How's your hood?  On the outer surface, there is some "sinking" that can be felt. Block sanding will be needed. I'm not seeing any flash, it seems fairly crisp. I am scratching my head, however, over what was plated and what was not. 🤔

The hood on this one looks pretty good Jim. I haven't noticed any sink marks, at least not yet. There are some sink marks on the tops of the fenders behind the headlights where the bulkhead intersects them.

17 hours ago, Randy D said:

David,  

Okay, I get it now,  you're on a big finns, big bumpers and loads of chrome kick😁

I'm in !!!

Nice 50s color.

Randy

Indeed I am! For the moment at least. Thanks Randy!

16 hours ago, LennyB said:

Yes, I see that now. I thought you were referring to the more recent of the two editions as the one you built. Thanks for the feedback Len.

16 hours ago, Can-Con said:

"Scalemates" motto should be "Some of the info, some of the time, sometimes correct ,, but not always". 🙄

Yes indeed Steve. But for most circumstances they serve my purpose.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I hope to have more updates soon.

David G. 

Edited by David G.
typo
  • Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 5:59 AM, NOBLNG said:

Looking good David, I like that Cobalt green.😎

Thanks Greg, it's not quite what I wanted but it's beginning to grow on me.

David G.

Posted (edited)

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update.

With the detail painting and a blackwash done, it's time to start adding the suspension.

57_Ford_05.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G.
typo
  • Like 1

Nice job detailing the exhaust, etc.  Not easy for some of us (me).  Maybe a bit of rust on the resonators and tail pipes would be appropriate.  Here's how I recall the '57 Ford back home in Southern New England:

IMG_1653.jpg.4a8489875dd00e6fa4d10c3499cbfb3f.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg.de66ab4f13f61ddd34041028ebb9034e.jpg

🥴...sorry, had to.

Edited by customline
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, David G. said:

Hello Everybody!

Just a quick update.

With the detail painting and a blackwash done, it's time to start adding the suspension.

57_Ford_05.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

As always nice detail painting!  You have great patience..

Lookin good. Personally I think the second color is much better. Rustoleum has some very 50's colors. Pictured is a corrected Revell sedan painted with Rustoleum Seaside I believe.

This is a really nice kit, much better than the Revell offereings.

0828151350-00.jpg.30a54bfbdd85e8a464165bb6bccf9914.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, customline said:

Nice job detailing the exhaust, etc.  Not easy for some of us (me).  Maybe a bit of rust on the resonators and tail pipes would be appropriate.  Here's how I recall the '57 Ford back home in Southern New England:

IMG_1653.jpg.4a8489875dd00e6fa4d10c3499cbfb3f.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg.de66ab4f13f61ddd34041028ebb9034e.jpg

🥴...sorry, had to.

Thank you.

That's a great looking wagon Jim! I can see where you've added some extra details in addition to the rust. Which is very convincingly done!

15 hours ago, slusher said:

As always nice detail painting!  You have great patience..

Thanks Carl. I think the detail painting actually helps keep me sane, isn't that crazy? :D 

14 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Lookin good. Personally I think the second color is much better. Rustoleum has some very 50's colors. Pictured is a corrected Revell sedan painted with Rustoleum Seaside I believe.

This is a really nice kit, much better than the Revell offereings.

0828151350-00.jpg.30a54bfbdd85e8a464165bb6bccf9914.jpg

Thanks Andy. I like that shade of green in the photo you shared. It's actually very close to what I intended for this build. But the Cobalt Green is beginning to grow on me.

12 hours ago, slusher said:

I totally agree about Rustoleum colors!

I like their colors too but I've often had trouble working with their paint. In all fairness, Rustoleum has designed their paint more for painting lawn furniture than for painting model cars. I often forget to adjust for that.

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Man that's great work on the undercarriage David, perfect but that's not surprising from your workbench!!

Thank you so much for your kind comment Mike.

9 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Indeed, I agree you've done a great job on that under-carriage. Wouldn't be surprised that you do just as nice on the rest of the build.

Thank you Dan. I always try to do my best, it's nice to have that recognized.

Thanks again for all the kind comments and other contributions.

David G.

• Like 1

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP