Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comstock Team Ford GT40 MKI P/1037

2024-03-0612_05_18.thumb.jpg.fce84855d47bd2d03bd518bca5dbbc55.jpg

The Comstock Team Ford GT40 MKI P/1037 is a car I saw race many times race in the day and at historic events. The model was built not to represent any specific moment in time, maybe more like how it might look if I owned the actual car. It is based on the Fujimi Spa-Francorchamps p/1017 kit.

2024-03-0612_06_08.thumb.jpg.3562e6838891179b44f37707c3d84787.jpg

ALTERATIONS & ADDITIONS

Studio 27 photo-etch

Vintage Racing Miniatures Decals. I made 94’s from images of numbers on actual car.

Historic Racing Miniatures engine, suspension, HRM Weber carbs kit with Rev/Mon heads & valve covers. Velocity stacks from Replicas & Miniatures. Scratch built carb tray.

Battery located to engine compartment

Modellers windshield wiper

Enlarged radiator opening backed by photo-etched grill

Adapted Fujimi GT40 MKII photo-etch for rear grill

Side mirrors 3D printed by Martin Aveyard

Sheet styrene rear spoiler

2024-03-0612_06_32.thumb.jpg.4b3954f818bcd19abf49110a33e657c0.jpg2024-03-0612_06_46.thumb.jpg.e90d2c4bc7463dd83c1b574f576e5223.jpg2024-03-0612_07_40.thumb.jpg.fb382a2a023e65eac70360aa9330984e.jpgIMG_1019.jpg.d8b534f2ffe915861233a22484ccd666.jpgIMG_1021.jpg.4902a639a9e53924ccab81669500c429.jpg

• Like 8

Excellent build.  It’s a shame Fujumi took a short cut and did not include an engine in any of the MkI or MKII kits.  Maybe we will see a MENG kit of a MKI someday.

18 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Excellent build.  It’s a shame Fujumi took a short cut and did not include an engine in any of the MkI or MKII kits.  Maybe we will see a MENG kit of a MKI someday.

Thanks Rex - I agree that a fully detailed MKI would be very well received

17 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Excellent work Phil. Your additions really add.

Thanks Garry. I always find additions satisfying 

16 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful looking GT40.  Very well done.

Thanks James

3 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Spectacular build, with full engine, unique body configuration and delightful detailing. Been a while since we've seen such a beautiful rendition of a GT40.

Bravo!

Thanks Pierre. Your builds have inspired me to up my game.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very well done.  The attention to the details is very impressive and I really appreciate your sharing your build and finished product.

Thanks Mr.GT40

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

I like this build a lot Phil. You did a great job.  The engine and interior could be models all by themselves. 

Thanks Rich - Lately I have been sort of considering the separate components of build as models themselves.

A friend who I consider a racing historian and an autograph hunter gave me this photo of the Comstock GT40 signed by the driver the late Eppie Wietzes and a sticker with his autograph I could put on the model if I so chose. This photo was taken at the no longer there Westwood Circuit near Vancouver BC and it is very likely I was at that race. At this race the car was not using enlarged radiator opening I used on the model. Also notice the B/A logos. I got the stickers used on the model from a model railroad vender many years ago. I also Eppie race in a Team Lotus 49 at the first Canadian GP in 1967 where he qualified 5th but DNF.

Eppie.thumb.jpg.160cfa0c8c4cbaef44ab20952fd2fefc.jpg

20 hours ago, Roger U said:

All your alterations and detailing look great. A beautiful model. 

14 hours ago, Dave B said:

Great build Phil, and I love the extra detailing. Tks for sharing.

Dave B

10 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Oh Yeah, she's a beauty. Great detailing and great job with those decals.

9 hours ago, Bruce Scully said:

A really nice looking build , well done.

3 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome build!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your comments. I am very happy with the results as it only took me 25 years to get a GT40 MKI built.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:49 AM, PappyD340 said:

Excellent build!!

Thanks Larry

23 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

I do like your GT40 , very well executed

Thanks Atkin - Glad you like it

21 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice GT40, Phil - with excellent detailing and modifications -it is really a shame that no good Mk I with engine is available as kit (Fujimi's proportions look much better to me than those of the others).

Thanks Helmut - I agree. The Fujimi curbside kits are very good in all the GT40 configurations and would find many new buyers if re-released with full detail. In these days of 3D scanning it seems very conceivable. 

• 3 weeks later...

You made so many small detail changes to follow the real car, at first glance it looks like it came out of the kit that way. Really nice job on this piece of Canadian racing history Phil!

Nice build.

On 3/6/2024 at 11:12 PM, vamach1 said:

If they do as bad job as they did with the 1:12 GT40 Mk II they don't need to bother, the 1:24th kit is better but also on the crudeish side and I don't really like the parts breakdown.
The best bodies by far are the Fujimi ones and if they had gone the whole nine yards when they did the Mk I and Mk II they would be close to perfect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Force said:

Nice build.

If they do as bad job as they did with the 1:12 GT40 Mk II they don't need to bother, the 1:24th kit is better but also on the crudeish side and I don't really like the parts breakdown.
The best bodies by far are the Fujimi ones and if they had gone the whole nine yards when they did the Mk I and Mk II they would be close to perfect.

The wheels on that 1/24 Meng kit are a reason not to buy it. It's an expensive proposition to use both the Meng and Fujimi kit to make a good one...I agree with you it's a shame Fujimi didn't go the whole 9 yards.

• Like 1