Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960's Corvair Bertone Concept by Air-Trax

Greetings All,

Starting to spend more evenings at my model workbench now that my VW 1/1 scale project is completed.Ā  500 miles and no issues!Ā  Good to have my old friend back on the road.

Purchased 2 resin pieces from Air-Trax last year and I am starting the 'Bertone' Corvair concept car.Ā  I am a bit of a Corvair fan and have amassed a few books and magazines on them but, nowhere have I found this particular Bertone concept.Ā  That includes an internet search.Ā  No matter though, I still like the styling.Ā  I am using an AMT '69 Corvair kit for parts.

The 'kit' from Air-Trax is the body, decklid, taillights, front turn signals, and bumpers, (not chromed).Ā  Ā  After cleaning up a few small casting imperfections, sizing up the interior tub, cut out headlight lenses and the window 'glass', I gave it a primer coat and used Tamiya 'Metallic Green'.Ā  Going to use some BMF and then give it a coat with Tamiya clear.Ā  Ā The engine is from the AMT kit with carb setup from '3dscaleparts', (Ebay), and air cleaners from 'Scale Production', (Internet).Ā  More photos to follow.......Thanks for looking!

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

DSC01474.JPG

DSC01475.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01478.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

DSC01482.JPG

• Like 9

On 3/14/2024 at 1:30 PM, Joe Lange said:

I am a bit of a Corvair fan and have amassed a few books and magazines

Does one of those books happen to be UNSAFE AT ANY SPEEDĀ by Ralph Nader šŸ˜†. Anyway nice consept the paint is stunning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful color and both engines look really good!

Thanks Carl,Ā  It's really one in the same engine.Ā  I took a photo of it from both sides and with and without the air cleaners.Ā  I am holding off on attaching the cleaners permanently until the engine is in the car.Ā  Not sure if the engine will fit through the bottom of the body with the filters attached!

14 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Does one of those books happen to be UNSAFE AT ANY SPEEDĀ by Ralph Nader šŸ˜†. Anyway nice consept the paint is stunning.

Ralph who?Ā  Thank for the comment on the paint.Ā  I have become a big fan of Tamiya spray paint.Ā  Looking forward to 'clearing' it.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:30 AM, Joe Lange said:

Greetings All,

Starting to spend more evenings at my model workbench now that my VW 1/1 scale project is completed.Ā  500 miles and no issues!Ā  Good to have my old friend back on the road.

Purchased 2 resin pieces from Air-Trax last year and I am starting the 'Bertone' Corvair concept car.Ā  I am a bit of a Corvair fan and have amassed a few books and magazines on them but, nowhere have I found this particular Bertone concept.Ā  That includes an internet search.Ā  No matter though, I still like the styling.Ā  I am using an AMT '69 Corvair kit for parts.

The 'kit' from Air-Trax is the body, decklid, taillights, front turn signals, and bumpers, (not chromed).Ā  Ā  After cleaning up a few small casting imperfections, sizing up the interior tub, cut out headlight lenses and the window 'glass', I gave it a primer coat and used Tamiya 'Metallic Green'.Ā  Going to use some BMF and then give it a coat with Tamiya clear.Ā  Ā The engine is from the AMT kit with carb setup from '3dscaleparts', (Ebay), and air cleaners from 'Scale Production', (Internet).Ā  More photos to follow.......Thanks for looking!

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

DSC01474.JPG

DSC01475.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01478.JPG

DSC01480.JPG

DSC01482.JPG

I'd like to take one of these kits and make it into a mid-engine corvair with a V8 like they did back in the seventies. There's a couple of them running around Southern California I see him in various car shows. Though this one looks really nice I'd like to see you what it's going to look like finished.

• Thanks 1

Joe...never seen this Corvair variation and would luv to add one to my collection. I have posted a couple Corvair projects on here and am working on another now. So i have some parts left over. Cool engine, like what you did with it. This whole project looks like it is coming together. Great work so far.Ā  Here is the link to my builds:Ā https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/171608-a-tale-of-two-corvairs/#comment-2575081

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, like something Bertone would have done, especially the somewhat Montreal-esque headlight eyelids.

I like the 2X3bbl Weber carb setup too, which could be done in reality with some machine work.

The stock one- or two-throat manifolds were milled off and Crown Mfg. 3-throat castings substituted.

image.png.c599946602842aaa4c2e32b8b7734830.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Looks great, like something Bertone would have done, especially the somewhat Montreal-esque headlight eyelids.

I like the 2X3bbl Weber carb setup too, which could be done in reality with some machine work.

The stock one- or two-throat manifolds were milled off and Crown Mfg. 3-throat castings substituted.

image.png.c599946602842aaa4c2e32b8b7734830.png

Thanks Bill.Ā  Kinda makes the twin, single barrel Solex's on my Beetle look puny!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed!

A little nerve wracking trying to get the chassis, interior, and body to 'get together' one last time, but.... success!Ā 

I will post a couple of photos, outside the 'shop', on the "Finished Model Car" section.

Thanks for looking!

Ā 

Ā 

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

DSC01512.JPG

DSC01509.JPG

DSC01514.JPG

DSC01515.JPG

DSC01516.JPG

DSC01517.JPG

• Like 4