Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roadkill 56 Chevy

6 hours ago, customline said:

I'm going to take a chance and post these photos that I found out in the ether. They will possibly help you with hole locations where you removed the trim pieces. You'll need to zoom, of course, to see some of the holes.  I will take them down if you wish. 

R-55.jpg.2c209ecc1a7babea0f2ad56c0fa1208d.jpgR-56.jpg.667f1c1bb9ecd20fe30143bb3434a0cf.jpgneeds-total-restoration-1956-chevrolet-210-project-for-sale-2020-11-29-1.jpg.9c6ac9a2ce071e1ac0edd59b7f2a0204.jpg1956-chevy-bel-air-post-project-car-4.jpg.0ac58c693ffed716d4dce46ce7f8a00e.jpg

Jim does the chrome come of easy with a chisel blade?

21 minutes ago, slusher said:

Jim does the chrome come of easy with a chisel blade?

I have used a 1/2" chisel blade , a #11 "surgical" blade, single edge razor  blades and emery boards and nail files, and anything else that would make the trim go away (picture the AMT '56 Vicky 😪

To answer the question,  nothing is easy until you make it that way.

IMG_0712.jpg.8119cffacfe4a4fc08de17eb42476851.jpg

Edited by customline
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, customline said:

I'm going to take a chance and post these photos that I found out in the ether. They will possibly help you with hole locations where you removed the trim pieces. You'll need to zoom, of course, to see some of the holes.  I will take them down if you wish. 

R-55.jpg.2c209ecc1a7babea0f2ad56c0fa1208d.jpgR-56.jpg.667f1c1bb9ecd20fe30143bb3434a0cf.jpgneeds-total-restoration-1956-chevrolet-210-project-for-sale-2020-11-29-1.jpg.9c6ac9a2ce071e1ac0edd59b7f2a0204.jpg1956-chevy-bel-air-post-project-car-4.jpg.0ac58c693ffed716d4dce46ce7f8a00e.jpg

No problem Jim. These will help. Thanks.

I used a small chisel blade and a regular number 11 to remove the trim, then tried sanding with emery boards. Still left a faint line, but I think it will work out, gives me an idea where to drill the holes. Which brings another question, what size bit for the holes? I drilled three holes on the hood where I removed the emblem, but I may have got them a large for scale.

29 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I used a small chisel blade and a regular number 11 to remove the trim, then tried sanding with emery boards. Still left a faint line, but I think it will work out, gives me an idea where to drill the holes. Which brings another question, what size bit for the holes? I drilled three holes on the hood where I removed the emblem, but I may have got them a large for scale.

I can't keep a bit smaller than a #76 because I always break them but if I had one, I would use a #80.  You probably have some bit you use for ignition wire? You're creating an illusion, so you can't always keep everything to scale. This is art now, James.  The lines that are left behind may add to the overall effect. You are doing just fine. 

On 3/26/2024 at 7:52 AM, David G. said:

Excellent work so far!

David G.

Thanks David.

On 3/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, customline said:

I can't keep a bit smaller than a #76 because I always break them but if I had one, I would use a #80.  You probably have some bit you use for ignition wire? You're creating an illusion, so you can't always keep everything to scale. This is art now, James.  The lines that are left behind may add to the overall effect. You are doing just fine. 

Thanks Jim.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:31 AM, Modlbldr said:

I'm liking the weathering you are doing on this. It is fun to do and you're doing just fine with it. Can't wait to see it with some weathered paint.

Later-

Thank you. It is fun.

On 3/26/2024 at 9:58 AM, Steve H said:

Looking good James. Removing some of the trim will definitely add some interest to the build, good call.

Thanks Steve.

I got it on 4 wheels. The wheels and tires will be new. I also weathered the front bumper. I first dulled the chrome with some dullcote, then added some black panel liner, and finished with dry brushing some Testors Rust Enamel on it. I think it came out ok.

IMGP9529.JPG

IMGP9530.JPG

IMGP9531.JPG

My first car was a '56 Chevy 210, 6-hole three on the tree. I like the direction you are going with this build. Haven't tried but one weathered build and it came out fairly close to what I was after. As the others have said, approach with caution, because it is easy to go overboard. Keep the updates coming, looking forward to how this one comes out.

I agree with Ricky, there is a tendency to go a bit too far on your first few projects of this nature (I still haven't learned that yet 💩) so just keep that in mind. It looks like you are keeping to your original plan, James, the engine and chassis looks terrific. 

3 hours ago, slusher said:

looking really good James!

Thanks Carl.

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

My first car was a '56 Chevy 210, 6-hole three on the tree. I like the direction you are going with this build. Haven't tried but one weathered build and it came out fairly close to what I was after. As the others have said, approach with caution, because it is easy to go overboard. Keep the updates coming, looking forward to how this one comes out.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, customline said:

I agree with Ricky, there is a tendency to go a bit too far on your first few projects of this nature (I still haven't learned that yet 💩) so just keep that in mind. It looks like you are keeping to your original plan, James, the engine and chassis looks terrific. 

Thanks Jim. Yes, that is something I need to watch out for, don't want to overdo it. I called that a bumper in my photo, it is actually the grille, there will be no bumper on it.

Hey, James, you got me thinking about another of these 1:24 Monogram kits - the '57 Nomad.  So I opened one up and started looking it over and I discovered a huge goof. The spare well is not depicted correctly on the chassis. It's a huge mistake. The Nomad stores the spare horizontally but the chassis/floor has a vertical spare well like a Bel Air. The cheap-skates pulled a fast one. 😉.  

8 hours ago, customline said:

Hey, James, you got me thinking about another of these 1:24 Monogram kits - the '57 Nomad.  So I opened one up and started looking it over and I discovered a huge goof. The spare well is not depicted correctly on the chassis. It's a huge mistake. The Nomad stores the spare horizontally but the chassis/floor has a vertical spare well like a Bel Air. The cheap-skates pulled a fast one. 😉.  

I have that Nomad kit also, but have not noticed that. I'm thinking I want to make a pro street out of mine, been looking at the 66 Nova Pro Street kit's frame thinking it maybe could be altered to fit under the Nomad. Probably be a lot of work though.

47 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I have that Nomad kit also, but have not noticed that. I'm thinking I want to make a pro street out of mine, been looking at the 66 Nova Pro Street kit's frame thinking it maybe could be altered to fit under the Nomad. Probably be a lot of work though.

The Nomad is 1:24 scale and the AMT Novae are 1:25 but you may be able to use the rear portion with some creative butchery. I'm not a fan of the pro-street look but the Nomad body is a good candidate, certainly. The Nomad chassis has molded-in exhaust that would need to be dealt with. Yeah, there's some work involved🫤.

These Monogram tri-5 chevy kits are not well-detailed (firewall is a glaring example) and if you don't need an accurate model, you can overlook its deficiencies. The interior is another example. But you can still have fun with it. I have two of the Nomad kits and the '55 ragtop waiting for me. I'm thinking "gasser" for one Nomad 🤔.  Maybe a '70s street machine for the other one, like the one on the box, but with better wheels 🥴.

• Like 1

Nice work on the weathering and trim removal.👍 Just thinking…you could have drilled the trim mounting holes before removing the trim. Then they would definitely be in the right places.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice rust-work, very convincing!

David G.

Thanks David.

49 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice work on the weathering and trim removal.👍 Just thinking…you could have drilled the trim mounting holes before removing the trim. Then they would definitely be in the right places.

Thanks. Yep, didn't even think of that.

Ok, done the weathering process with the glue. IDK, I guess it looks ok, I think I could have probably done more but didn't want to over do it. I will go back and do some dry brushing with the Testors Rust Enamel in some places especially in the engine compartment and firewall area. The hood is not weathered, just supposed to be an old primed replacement hood that is not in very good shape. The photos are a little dark, kinda hard to really see the effect. I'll take some better ones after I work on it a little more.

IMGP9532.JPG

IMGP9533.JPG

IMGP9534.JPG

IMGP9535.JPG

OK, James, I'm liking it. Imagine a scenario that ends with an image of your Chevy. Where would you find rust in this particular car? What areas are the most susceptible to rotting out? Rust is about texture and color.  But. Again, go easy 🥴.

• Like 1

Ok, installed the glass and lights. Put in a new battery and radiator. Did the trim with a dull metallic marker, then added some more rust and dirt. I think this is as far as I'm going with it, don't want to overdo it. I guess it looks ok, I had fun with it. Time to get it on the chassis.

IMGP9536.JPG

IMGP9537.JPG

IMGP9539.JPG

IMGP9540.JPG

IMGP9541.JPG