Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions About Flocking and Embossing Powder

Hello,

After seeing how many models are built using flocking powder for carpet, and how much it adds to the models' interiors, I have decided that I should pick some up and give it a try. I know how to apply it using white glue and a paintbrush, but I'm not sure about what kind to try. Does anyone have any advice on which brands/types of flocking powder work best? Also, can you airbrush acrylic paint or clear coat over flocking powder? Thank you!

-Noah

Edited by Noah H.

My suggestion would be to use embossing powder instead of flocking.

just my opinion, but I believe that embossing powder provides a closer to correct short cut pile look than the more fibrous look of flocking.

You can find embossing powder in a rainbow of colors in some craft stores as well as online.

Embossing powder lends itself well to being painted over.

Flocking, not so much.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

just my opinion, but I believe that embossing powder provides a closer to correct short cut pile look than the more fibrous look of flocking.

You can find embossing powder in a rainbow of colors in some craft stores as well as online.

Flocking, not so much.

Steve

Thank you for your help!

• Noah H. changed the title to Questions About Flocking and Embossing Powder

Hi Noah, Steven G above is the authority in this department. His interiors are about as good as you will see in scale. Steven maybe you could share a couple of examples of what can be done with embossing powder.  My 2 cents are the blatantly obvious things, paint a base colour similar to that of the embossing powder you will use. Then, as you have already discovered, paint a thin coat of white glue and sprinkle on the powder. Do small sections at a time. I will lightly press the powder into the glue using an appropriate instrument. I agree with Steven, that embossing powder is more correct looking than flocking, but that’s just me, and I never had much success getting flocking to look right. Maybe do a practice run on an old interior piece first.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your results!

Cheers, Steve

29 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Noah, Steven G above is the authority in this department. His interiors are about as good as you will see in scale. Steven maybe you could share a couple of examples of what can be done with embossing powder.  My 2 cents are the blatantly obvious things, paint a base colour similar to that of the embossing powder you will use. Then, as you have already discovered, paint a thin coat of white glue and sprinkle on the powder. Do small sections at a time. I will lightly press the powder into the glue using an appropriate instrument. I agree with Steven, that embossing powder is more correct looking than flocking, but that’s just me, and I never had much success getting flocking to look right. Maybe do a practice run on an old interior piece first.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you for your help!

58 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve.

This is probably one of my better examples.

Now, you may not like the look of the metallic embossing powder, but I feel like it helps add a little more visual texture than solid powder, although they both work equally as well in my opinion.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This floor was done with embossing powder and painted over.

Possibly looks more accurate than the metallic powder, but also not as pronounced in it's appearance.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 3

The late Rich "Charlie" Manson showed me how to flock. I forget his preference, I liked Ken's Fuzzy Fur. My first was a '58 Chevy custom I did in purple with a Testors 123 purple as the wet base. It worked really well and I had to have things ready to go once the paint was down. 

His work was featured in Scale Auto. Another modeler challenged him to do a striped flock... he whipped out a PLAID flock that was quite well done.

I'll have to try it again one day. I bought some Aleen's Tacky Glue, which thins well with water. That may be worth a try. I have seen embossing powders in the craft stores.

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Flocking, not so much.

Steve

Exactly!

The only issue I have with embossing powder is that it tends to have a glossy and sometimes metallic appearance.  Maybe putting some dull coat on top might change that...hmmm something to try.

43 minutes ago, Beans said:

The only issue I have with embossing powder is that it tends to have a glossy and sometimes metallic appearance.  Maybe putting some dull coat on top might change that...hmmm something to try.

Embossing powder only has a metallic finish if you use metallic powder. 

Steve

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Embossing powder only has a metallic finish if you use metallic powder. 

Steve

Ah.  Ha!  Well that makes sense.  Maybe I'll read the little bottle next time.

Just to add my 2 cents, I like flocking and have never used embossing mainly because I found a cheap supplier for flocking and still have a lot. With flocking I use a similar color acrylic craft paint and pour my flocking on, press it in a bit and shake excess onto a sheet of paper for the next area.

• Thanks 1

Just giving my 2 cents, I've used both with good results using Elmers white glue.  I agree embossing is a little easier (especially if you want to paint to match the interior color), but keep in mind the type of look you want. Older vehicles and custom (especially vans) had longer carpet fibers than newer rides. Think house carpet or shag. IMHO.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 4:49 PM, Sledsel said:

Just to add my 2 cents, I like flocking and have never used embossing mainly because I found a cheap supplier for flocking and still have a lot. With flocking I use a similar color acrylic craft paint and pour my flocking on, press it in a bit and shake excess onto a sheet of paper for the next area.

I work flock over a paper plate and use a small kitchen strainer to apply it. It works pretty well and I can pour the excess flock back into the container.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's just me, but unless it's a convertible, I find it's very hard to see the flocking/embossing powder on the finished interior, especially on a black interior.  

I just recently used Ken's fuzzy fur on a 1970 challenger (black interior).  I can barely see it, let alone see if the scale is correct, etc.  I think I could have simply painted instead, and it would barely make a difference.  

I would imagine a light colour interior would be easier to see, but I haven't done a light interior yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluenote said:

Maybe it's just me, but unless it's a convertible, I find it's very hard to see the flocking/embossing powder on the finished interior, especially on a black interior.  

I just recently used Ken's fuzzy fur on a 1970 challenger (black interior).  I can barely see it, let alone see if the scale is correct, etc.  I think I could have simply painted instead, and it would barely make a difference.  

I would imagine a light colour interior would be easier to see, but I haven't done a light interior yet.

Of course, but to some of us, there’s more to model building than just “what will be seen”.

For me, it’s more about the progression of the project than it is the finished object.

I do a lot of things on most builds that will likely never be seen because it’s fun.

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Some of the older kits have some nasty ejector pin marks on the floor. I find that embossing powder is easier than dealing with them 🙂

That is most certainly true!

I guess that I still operate on the philosophy that every sub-assembly of a model is a model unto itself, so when I’m building an interior, I build it as if it were going to be displayed all by itself.

Steve

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That is most certainly true!

I guess that I still operate on the philosophy that every sub-assembly of a model is a model unto itself, so when I’m building an interior, I build it as if it were going to be displayed all by itself.

Steve

And yours could, mine not so much!

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

I use that philosophy on my more recent builds. It is time consuming, but I like the problem solving during the process and the satisfaction afterwards,

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 6:46 PM, rattle can man said:

Has anyone tried applying the powder to the paint while it is still tacky?

That is absolutely an option.

There are any number of "adhesives" that can be used for embossing powder.

Anything that it will stick to with even coverage is fair game.

Steve

• Like 1