Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Ford 3-Window Coupe

Zippi

The next victim up on the bench is the Revell '36 Ford Coupe.  This is a 2'N1 kit but I am opting for the Coupe vs the convertible.  I've pulled some of the parts out to clean them up and start my fit issue process and this one is a little on the strange side.  Looks like the rumble seat is sandwiched in between the body and fenders so it looks like all parts will have to be painted separately.  Already I can see the body to fender fit is going to need some work to get a nice snug fit and the running boards do not fit very well either.  I'm not a big fan of the body and top of the car being two piece as they do not fit right.  I hate having major issues right out of the gate but let the games begin.   

20240404_102644.jpg

20240404_103225.jpg

20240404_104319.jpg

• Like 4

if you slightly shorten the two tabs on the body, that mounts the rumble seat, you can get the body to fit better at the rear. there will still be a small gap but the gap will at least be even. you can get the fit even tighter if your not worried about keeping the rumble seat operational

Can’t wait to see what you do with this one Bob.🙂 I did an AMT ‘36 with the separate roof. I glued it on and used sprue goo for filler (thin layer😬) but an epoxy putty like Tamiya or Milliput would work good too.

Edited by NOBLNG

Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I saw your video on the problems you had with the 5 window. I was the one who traded you for that. If you want to do a trade to get rid of the 5 window, let me know. I'd take it. We could do a swap next time I come to Evansville.

Later-

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

if you slightly shorten the two tabs on the body, that mounts the rumble seat, you can get the body to fit better at the rear. there will still be a small gap but the gap will at least be even. you can get the fit even tighter if your not worried about keeping the rumble seat operational

Thanks for the info man.  Yeah, haven't taken a real close look at it yet.  Just decided on this kit so lots to look at.  

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Can’t wait to see what you do with this one Bob.🙂 I did an AMT ‘36 with the separate roof. I glued it on and used sprue goo for filler (thin layer😬) but an epoxy putty like Tamiya or Milliput would work good too.

Thanks.  That's what I did on the AMT 36 and didn't like how it turned out.  But who knows, might give it another shot.

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I saw your video on the problems you had with the 5 window. I was the one who traded you for that. If you want to do a trade to get rid of the 5 window, let me know. I'd take it. We could do a swap next time I come to Evansville.

Later-

Thanks man.  I appreciate the offer but think I'll keep it around.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Well my friend, I know you will get the "bugs" worked out  and its gonna turn out great!!

I appreciate your confidence in me Buddy.

I built the convertible version of that one, but I am working on a couple version of one of the early issues.  Gluing the roof on and filling the seams before painting is the sensible thing to do, though you'll probably want to paint the interior of the roof first, as well as the shell behind the seat.   Attaching that rear window once everything is painted is going to be journey into madness. 

Well mate, I've built this kit a couple of times over the  years and it's always a challenge. But I know you have the skills to turn out a great result.

I agree that the rumble seat is best glued shut , glue and fill the top as you go. Remember to dig into your bag of patience !

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I built the convertible version of that one, but I am working on a couple version of one of the early issues.  Gluing the roof on and filling the seams before painting is the sensible thing to do, though you'll probably want to paint the interior of the roof first, as well as the shell behind the seat.   Attaching that rear window once everything is painted is going to be journey into madness. 

I hear ya man.  I was thinking everything will have to be painted seperately because of what you mentioned and not to mention the rumble seat is sandwiched between the body and fenders.  It's going to be an adventure.

3 hours ago, ozmodeler said:

Well mate, I've built this kit a couple of times over the  years and it's always a challenge. But I know you have the skills to turn out a great result.

I agree that the rumble seat is best glued shut , glue and fill the top as you go. Remember to dig into your bag of patience !

Thanks man.  Boy oh boy....I've heard nothing but bad things about this kit.  I think I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on before I get out the glue bottle.  

I've been doing a lot of mock-ups this morning.  I think I have the rumble seat working ok and the body to fenders fitting pretty good.

20240405_100951.jpg

20240405_101009.jpg

20240405_103037.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Is this 1/24th scale (old Monogram)? If so Norm Veber  (Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland) had a chopped top for these, like the AMT one, if you want to go that way.

This is the 1/24 scale kit.  I appreciate the info but I'm fine with the way this is looking.  Thanks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Looks like this kit has a custom LaSalle grille. Building this project stock or custom?

I'm building it with the LaSalle grille and wheels & tires from Jay's.

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks man.  Boy oh boy....I've heard nothing but bad things about this kit.  I think I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on before I get out the glue bottle.  

It does have its redeeming qualities.  I do think it looks more like a real '36 than the AMT kit, and the latest edition does have those nice vintage custom parts, it's just the way it goes together is weird.  In retrospect, I'm wondering if the best way to tackle the coupe is to take a leaf from the plane modeler's book.  Build and paint the interior,  including the windows, assemble the body, then mask the windows and paint the body.

10 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

Looking forward to more!

Me to Paul.  This 3-window Coupe just looks Awesome.  I've got to start thinking about a color.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

It does have its redeeming qualities.  I do think it looks more like a real '36 than the AMT kit, and the latest edition does have those nice vintage custom parts, it's just the way it goes together is weird.  In retrospect, I'm wondering if the best way to tackle the coupe is to take a leaf from the plane modeler's book.  Build and paint the interior,  including the windows, assemble the body, then mask the windows and paint the body.

I think your right on the looks vs the AMT kit Richard.  Yup, lots of options here so I think I'll set down and take a close look at the instructons again then make a decision on how to proceed.    

6 hours ago, Zippi said:

I think your right on the looks vs the AMT kit Richard.  Yup, lots of options here so I think I'll set down and take a close look at the instructons again then make a decision on how to proceed.    

Even though AMT has a central place in my heart, I am open to the idea that Revell/Monograms are a bit better, one argument for this is that Steve Boutte started from Revell/Monograms and it ended up in Rodders Journal.
If you look on Facebook, Steve Boutte Kustoms, there are probably construction pictures.

19 minutes ago, Ulf said:

Even though AMT has a central place in my heart, I am open to the idea that Revell/Monograms are a bit better, one argument for this is that Steve Boutte started from Revell/Monograms and it ended up in Rodders Journal.
If you look on Facebook, Steve Boutte Kustoms, there are probably construction pictures.

Thanks Ulf.  I'll check it out.

I glued the top on the body as the trial fitting show that I can still get the back glass in.  The joints don't looks to bad and I decided to delete the insert on the top.  More of a clean look for a Street rod.

20240406_132700.jpg

20240406_132711.jpg