Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 Nissan 240Z (street custom?)

3 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Panasports/Minilites and side drafts!

Take the bottom lip off the air dam and leave off the wheel arch extensions and you're well on your way to a Super Samuri, with rather less effort than some... 😜

high-front-left-corner.jpg

best,

M.

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

So I guess we're all gonna pretend this doesn't have a LHD dash, scuttle panel, firewall and wipers? 

Come with North American Spec Parts

From Tamiya 

[Model details] ★Total length 172mm, total width 71mm, total height 52mm. ★Modeling a Fairlady 240Z equipped with standard custom parts of the time. ★Can also be assembled into the North American spec Datsun 240Z. ★The 2393cc inline 6-cylinder SOHC engine and auxiliary equipment such as the triple carburetor are precisely reproduced. Even after completion, you can open the hood and observe the densely finished engine room. ★Suspension is lowered. ★The RS Watanabe wheels have a two-part structure that makes it easy to paint them separately.

image.png.1e4c6a48c1003e3c8dfe49ab094ce565.png

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, peteski said:

I wonder if they will eventually make a standard factory-stock version with LHD?

See Daddyfink's post above...

"Can also be assembled into the North American spec Datsun 240Z"

IF that means what it says, it's 2 variable-venturi Zenith-Stromberg or Hitachi carbs, LHD, steel wheels, and hubcaps.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

See Daddyfink's post above...

"Can also be assembled into the North American spec Datsun 240Z"

IF that means what it says, it's 2 variable-venturi Zenith-Stromberg or Hitachi carbs, LHD, steel wheels, and hubcaps.

All of that was in the original ZG kit, if this follows the pattern of the other Street Custom kits the new parts are added, but original parts are not subtracted.

• Like 3

At last! It was so obvious the kit was engineered with different versions in mind. With some components from the ZG there's scope to create a few different versions.

Going to be interesting to see what other parts they include, that sprue above is completely different to anything in the ZG kit. The slight challenge I can see in creating a more stock Z is the front spoiler, which looks to be moulded-in with the headlight surrounds - it doesn't just attach to a stock valance under the bumper. Still might be a need to rob the nosecone from a Hasegawa Z if that's the way you want to go.

Not that I particularly mind - think I'll want my Datsun 240 lowered on the Watanabes anyway (and oh by the way, if the original parts are all there, you'll be able to do a ZG that way too) - but it seems you'll still have to raid a Hasegawa kit if you want a factory stock short nose.  If those new trees are the only ones added, the air dam looks molded in with the new short nose piece.

Might like two of these actually...

1 hour ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Not that I particularly mind - think I'll want my Datsun 240 lowered on the Watanabes anyway (and oh by the way, if the original parts are all there, you'll be able to do a ZG that way too) - but it seems you'll still have to raid a Hasegawa kit if you want a factory stock short nose.  If those new trees are the only ones added, the air dam looks molded in with the new short nose piece.

Might like two of these actually...

It is a "Short Nose" Z. I think it is just the way the grill insert is sitting that is throwing people off. 

image.png.ca07a3ce5fe8ccd770b7c27912049b1f.png

Sure, but that big airdam is molded in with the headlight nacelles.  If you don't want that, you need to graft on a Hasegawa piece (which fits surprisingly well).

*Edit* - unless there's something Tamiya isn't showing us...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
  • Like 1