Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's with the U.S.Post office these days?

I ordered a decal from SMP in Illinois. I live in Pennsylvania. It WAS expected to arrive two days ago, and now the tracking states it is currently in Amarillo Texas? Now, I drove professionally, making deliveries for 30 years, and this makes zero sense, and I understand why the USPS is in the shape it is in now. Big thanks to that pea brained, Louis DeJoy, because all of this BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH started when he took over and starting to run things into the ground.!!!

• Like 1

I got some laughs the other day while looking at the "estimate" delivery with the tracking. Package arrived in Las Vegas at 4 AM and said it would be delivered by 9 PM that day. I live almost 1000 miles from Vegas. Next day at 6 AM or so it left Vegas. Don't remember what the delivery time claimed and don't care but it's the typical USPS scenario.

Oh, and then you get the "moving through the network" message for the next several days. 😒

Edited by TonyK
Addition
  • Like 1

Well let’s see,the PO sits on a package of mine for three days this week.I see it’s coming out of Jersey,and I’m in NY,so I’m thinking I might get it pretty quick.Then all of a sudden there’s movement.Yea,the movement was from NJ to TX.Are you kidding me…why?🤷‍♂️🥴🙄😖I could’ve probably picked up in Jersey,it would’ve been quicker.Now I’m looking at next week sometime.🤬That’s all I’m saying.

Anymore I request FedEx or UPS when it comes to shipping stuff. I just ordered a couple of lenses for my DSLR. The company shipped by FedEx and I had it in 2 days. NY to FL.

I ordered some stuff from Hannant's, the well known UK based kit vendor. Even with customs and all that jazz I still had it in 5 days. It's taken longer to get something delivered from CA to FL via Priority Mail.

This is nothing new however. I sometimes listen to old shows from Bruce Williams, who was popular in the 80s & 90s on talk radio. Even back then he mentions more than once "If I need something to get there on time I use FedEx or UPS" This particular show was from 1991.

I'm quitting the "just in time" parts ordering, and getting everything coming a couple weeks before I can possibly need it.

I'm down to small stuff on both projects, so having funds tied up isn't the annoyance it was earlier. It was never a big deal anyway, but it's as nerve-grating to me as fingernails on a chalkboard to have stuff twisting in the wind, with me being helpless to do anything about it.

• Like 1

One of the big quiet reasons behind it is DeJoy in all of his brilliance did two things. Forced trucks to leave at their cut times to avoid paying the "O/T" (it's not really O/T as all Postal Contracts just pay a flat fee and for Contractors there is no actual time and a half as all hours are paid at flat hourly "equivalent"). That means the sort centers are trying to work faster and the big bins of mail are often dropped at the wrong locations on the dock.

Add to that a large number of Postal Contracts were canceled with the consolidation of sort centers and swaths more were not renewed and bid out to lower bid contractors. This caused a huge loss of "institutional knowledge" on the part of the Contract Drivers who move mail by the truckload. Most of the time truck drivers are responsible for loading the rolling stock onto their trailers. Very quickly (since Contracts specify a 6 day work week for the primary driver) you learn exactly what Zip 3(s) should or shouldn't be there. When I was doing that gig a decade ago I bet you I stopped 2-4 wrong routed bins per tour from being loaded onto my trailers (3 runs from Regional Sort to Local County Level P.O.) and usually they were things that weren't even in the same state as the local office, let alone a "reasonable" missort. All of that of course is based on the idea that the people who are sorting off the line into the rolling stock are paying attention to what bins they're supposed to be loading off the line at any given time.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 2

I ordered a 50 pound pail of pool chlorine tabs yesterday on eBay, free 2-day shipping... should be interesting as to when it shows up. Will be likely by UPS.

I have bought some things on eBay and they show up via Amazon, the next day. Amazon seems to be doing something right.

Edited by bobss396
sdfghjk

i find that the estimated delivery date for my packages are always and i stress always at lease 1 day later than the promised date. the local distribution place is 20 minutes from my house, but will stay there at a minimum of 24 hours from the time it arrives to the time it leaves the building. if it gets there at midnight, it wont ship until at least the next midnight. 

2 packages from the same supplier, similar sizes and weights, both shipped on May 1 at the same time at the same PO...one of them has arrived at my local PO to be delivered tomorrow, one is wending its way across the country.

Nobody can tell me this is because of "logistics" that I'm too dense to comprehend.

I think the stupidest thing I saw in the last 10 years was a package that had made it from the East coast to Denver (about 4 hours South of me) then zinging 500+ miles West to Salt Lake City before straggling back to its final destination.  

In the meantime, my current purchase is touring the midwest...

1. Mon, May 6
    1:42pm
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBU, 66106
  2. Sun, May 5
    1:48pm
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  3. Sun, May 5
    12:00am
    In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late

4. Sat, May 4
    11:14pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 66106
  5. Sat, May 4
    10:46am
    SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBU, 63042
  6. Fri, May 3
    8:04am
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    OMAHA NE DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 68108
  7. Thu, May 2
    11:16pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 63042
  8. Thu, May 2
    8:52pm
  9. Thu, May 2
    7:04am
    LANCASTER PA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 17604
  10. Wed, May 1
    6:55pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
  11. Wed, May 1
    5:40pm
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    YORK, PA 17402
  12. Wed, May 1
    Estimated delivery date updated to Sat, May 4

13. Tue, Apr 30
    2:12pm
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    YORK, PA 17402
  14. Tue, Apr 30
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    YORK, PA 17402
  15. Tue, Apr 30
    10:48am
    Tracking number provided

image.png.5bb5edf94e903f4f8433e631aedc9c48.png
Edited by Monty

13 hours ago, Brutalform said:

DeJoy

Should be De "NO" Joy! His logistics at work here in Ohio: Package coming from Lodi Ohio (Mailed May 3). Went to Akron. Oh (May 3) . May 4 Arrived in Columbus Oh. May 5 Back to Akron where it sat till yesterday. Now it's sitting in Columbus again since it arrived there yesterday at 8:38 A.M. .. Informed delivery say's Delivery date Unknown???? Sad thing is I bought two kit's off a ebay seller on Monday, The kit's were shipped Via FedEx which Arrived here from New York  This morning!

You know, there is a logic in this madness.  They are doing this to get customers so fed up they will use different shipping companies, to the point that the USPS will go of business, closing this ancient quasi-government institution. :D

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:05 PM, Monty said:

I think the stupidest thing I saw in the last 10 years was a package that had made it from the East coast to Denver (about 4 hours South of me) then zinging 500+ miles West to Salt Lake City before straggling back to its final destination.  

In the meantime, my current purchase is touring the midwest...

1. Mon, May 6
    1:42pm
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  2. Sun, May 5
  3. Sun, May 5

4. Sat, May 4
    11:14pm
    KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 66106
  5. Sat, May 4
    10:46am
    SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBU, 63042
  6. Fri, May 3
    8:04am
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    OMAHA NE DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 68108
  7. Thu, May 2
    11:16pm
  8. Thu, May 2
    8:52pm
  9. Thu, May 2
    7:04am
  10. Wed, May 1
    6:55pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
  11. Wed, May 1
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    YORK, PA 17402
  12. Wed, May 1
    Estimated delivery date updated to Sat, May 4

13. Tue, Apr 30
    2:12pm
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    YORK, PA 17402
  14. Tue, Apr 30
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    YORK, PA 17402
  15. Tue, Apr 30
    10:48am
    Tracking number provided

image.png.5bb5edf94e903f4f8433e631aedc9c48.png

Still wandering... 

1. Wed, May 8

2. Tue, May 7

Hasn't even reached Omaha yet, where every one of my packages gets held up for at least one additional day.  

I'll preface this by saying that our local postal service people are great. They know their stuff, do a good job, and are very much part of our community

That said, I see the underbelly of bulk mail malfunction. It's bad, and there's nothing I can do about it. 

• Like 1