Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's with the U.S.Post office these days?

I may get censored for this and I'm not trying to be political in any way. But Louis DeJoy who is the Postmaster General is trying to explain the improvements he has made to the Postal Service have worked to the House Oversight Subcommittee. We will have to wait and see how that works out.  

22 hours ago, espo said:

I may get censored for this and I'm not trying to be political in any way. But Louis DeJoy who is the Postmaster General is trying to explain the improvements he has made to the Postal Service have worked to the House Oversight Subcommittee. We will have to wait and see how that works out.  

I saw that. He got schooled from a Nevada senator on closing the postal processing center, not realizing that the next nearest facilities access involves a very treacherous road that’s closed many times during harsh weather conditions. She even corrected him on the correct pronunciation of NEVADA. The guy is obviously a pea brained tool. 

• Haha 1

Mean while a package mailed from Lodi Ohio remains lost in the USPS network of Ohio postal centers. At least it never left the state! It either gets bounced around or staying at Columbus. The shipment was mailed on May 3, and was supposed to be received on May 6 the. It's been staying in Columbus since the 7 the.

I have to say that I've had decent luck with USPS.  Once in a while, things get rerouted to another town, but that's not the norm.  Our usual carrier is a pretty decent guy, very friendly and only once in a while does he make a mistake.  The local post office is great too, again, friendly and competent. 

I got a delivery today... This one was one of those UPS shipping deals where they drop it off at the post office and a USPS carrier delivers it. On Sunday, UPS delivers to the city west of me and a carrier from there delivers to the house.

While that all works, I wasn't expecting the carrier to stand out on the sidewalk and throw my package. I saw this and went to the door and he got to his truck, turned around with another package and again, threw it on the porch again, this time with the package hitting a chair, bouncing off and onto the concrete. As I was opening the door as this happened, I yelled at him "you don't have to throw it"... and he turned around and said "Sorry" and went to his truck as I mumbled some words that started with "F" and how one box had some fairly expensive electronics in it. 

To add insult to injury, the second package wasn't even ours... Belongs to a neighbor.  

I have this captured on the ring camera....   

The mix up doesn't bother me... It's a similar address, one digit different 4787 versus 4487, and I understand that we're all human etc. and I've made a mistake or two.  Throwing the package? That's a oh heaven's to Betsy!? moment for me.  I'm not naïve and I know  packages get tossed around loading and unloading, but don't do it in front of me.  It was literally just a couple more steps. 

So... I'm going to have a chat with the local postmaster tomorrow and show him the ring camera footage.    

Posted (edited)

Local PO delivers packages at least three times a week to my home address. Packages that go on the front porch, where the regular driver (the one with a brain) leaves them whether I'm home or not.

This AM I check tracking on one, it says "out for delivery", so I expect to see it when I roll in after work.

Stayed in the shop late, got home just before dusk, no package.

Go inside, fire up the computer , check tracking, I get this idiocy:

Alert

Vacant

MXXXXXXX, GA  XXXXX

May 17, 2024, 5:01 pm

Latest Update

Your item was returned to the sender on May 17, 2024 at 5:01 pm in MXXXXXXX, GA XXXXX because the address was vacant or the business was no longer operating at the location and no further information was available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU SALARIED MORON. NOW INSTEAD OF GETTING AN EARLY START ON MY OWN WORK SATURDAY MORNING, I HAVE TO GO TO THE PO AND DO YOUR JOB.

YOU COULD HAVE CALLED YOUR SUPERVISOR TO SEE IF ANY RECENT DELIVERIES HAD BEEN MADE AT THIS ADDRESS. BUT THAT WOULD HAVE REQUIRED THOUGHT AND INITIATIVE AND RESPONSIBILITY.

BY THE WAY, THIS PLACE DOESN'T LOOK VACANT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION. MORON.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Sad 1

Wow. That’s terrible. What’s going on with people today? I just don’t get all the junk that’s going on. I’m so sick and tired of all this incompetence. Without getting into a huge rant, I feel for ya Bill. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Your item was returned to the sender on May 17, 2024 at 5:01 pm in MXXXXXXX, GA XXXXX because the address was vacant or the business was no longer operating at the location and no further information was available.

Hmm, I wonder if this not-so-swift mail carrier misread your address and the place where he delivered the package was actually vacant?  That doesn't excuse them, but how stupid can someone be not to realize that your place is not vacant (even if you aren't at home).  Or maybe he was using a GPS and is misrouted him to some abandoned house or vacant lot? I don't know your neighborhood, so I'm not sure it is even feasible.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peteski said:

Hmm, I wonder if this not-so-swift mail carrier misread your address and the place where he delivered the package was actually vacant?  That doesn't excuse them, but how stupid can someone be not to realize that your place is not vacant (even if you aren't at home).  Or maybe he was using a GPS and is misrouted him to some abandoned house or vacant lot? I don't know your neighborhood, so I'm not sure it is even feasible.   

The local PO seems to have some recent hires who aren't familiar with either numbers or English.

There is a small car-lot at the end of the street that's gone up for lease in the last couple days, but it's not my number, naturally.

Otherwise, I don't know. I've given up trying to figure out how the brain-dead do what they do...or why they're employed by a gubmint agency.

It's less frustrating and more productive to just deal with the aftermath.

I will be very glad when I'm no longer dependent on the PO to keep my business running.

8:30 tomorrow morning should be interesting, because I'll be there when the doors open.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am experiencing issues running a small eBay business.

One of the issues is that my mail gets processed in Wilmington, DE and that's one of the centers due to be closed.  I recently had a package going to a customer in Wilmington take 3 weeks.   It's typically taking 2 weeks to get something from PA to CA.  

eBay adds to the mess by overlapping their over enthusiastic  delivery promises to buyers.  I have my terms set for 3 business day turn around, and that doesn't include weekend days.  So something sold today (Friday) is due to be shipped by Wednesday.  And eBay tells the buyer they can expect it Monday onward!  I have people crabbing on Monday (before I've shipped) that they haven't received their item!  

The govm't realizes there is an issue, suspending the consolidation plans to study it a bit more:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2024/05/13/usps-suspends-dfa-consolidation-plans-until-january-2025/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3j1letq-UluDYFe4GOG7nv2-Mk44OLvHoV7svsHXDj3XzeqwR_cFJYgHg_aem_AaqrskD0pEx7ncLI0zQSCn5D-rSLZA0oLjt9G_AqhigaQ4xvAaNAv6VtYyH_qN8aJaD-U50E0UrMWr3_ss8Lf9Jw

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

...8:30 tomorrow morning should be interesting, because I'll be there when the doors open.  :D

The very helpful and competent supervisor at the PO was able to find the shipment before it got sent back...in spite of their computer screens all showing the onscreen "please wait" spiral-of-doom the whole time I was there...and I'm back home.

Unfortunately, there's a hole in the box that looks like the prong of a forklift went through it, and an ominous rattle.

Now I have to check the contents, file a claim if necessary, and order a replacement depending on what I find.

Not exactly how I'd planned my morning, and of course, as I don't get a salary for dealing with stuff like this, I'm a little miffed.

I've already lost an hour and a half of time that would have been billable had I not had to fix the result of incompetence beyond my control...and we're not done yet.

image.png.d836e52da1bd382f047e2efd977c0fb7.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The USPS SUCKS!!!!!Period,end of statement.Ive had a package bouncing around from Jersey,to PA,back to another part of NJ,finally reaching NY.It seems as though my package has done more traveling in the last 7 days than I have in my whole life.🙄😖🥴

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at the pictures in Pierre's last post only goes to prove the gross stupidity of many on line sellers just sticking a kit into a plastic bag and sending it. Even worse I got a kit sent to me bought from Amazon and all they did was stick their delivery label straight onto the kit box and deliver it. Fortunately it arrived relatively unscathed. Guess the delivery driver might have been a fellow modeller? But it could have been a lot worse.

Many of you think the US postal service sucks?      The UK post office recently has had enough troubles of its own to contend with it late too.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

Yeah, Mail order are getting worse everyday

IMG_3938_Original.jpeg

IMG_3842_Original.jpeg

IMG_3841_Original.jpeg

Wow,that sucks,thats how your order arrived?Thats just not right.I would definitely complain to your PO/Amazon.

The mangled kit is not really USPS' fault.  Sender used inadequate packaging materials.  Putting soft cardboard box with a model in a bag is not cool and dumb.

• Like 1

Just tried to mail 2 packages with small parts and the KAREN behind the counter whined that the boxes were to small and had no room for the stamp. Picked up my boxes and went to another Post Office and the clerk took the packages, got the stamp and tracker upc on the boxes and took my money.

greg

• Like 1

Great news...apparently all the problems were the fault of the little delivery trucks they've been using, so this piece of collaborative genius, obviously inspired by experimental '70s crash-'em-smash-'em safety vehicles, will fix everything...and the 106,000 or 150,000 vehicles (depending on who your web source is) will only end up costing somewhere between 6 and about 11 billion dollars (depending on who your web source is).

What a deal.  :D

PS: Please note that putting TWO warning stickers on the slippery rear bumper was deemed to be better than providing a non-slip surface...among other interesting engineering decisions regarding interior lighting, charging of the EV versions, etc.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 5/17/2024 at 8:48 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Local PO delivers packages at least three times a week to my home address. Packages that go on the front porch, where the regular driver (the one with a brain) leaves them whether I'm home or not.

This AM I check tracking on one, it says "out for delivery", so I expect to see it when I roll in after work.

Stayed in the shop late, got home just before dusk, no package.

Go inside, fire up the computer , check tracking, I get this idiocy:

Alert

Vacant

MXXXXXXX, GA  XXXXX

May 17, 2024, 5:01 pm

Latest Update

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU SALARIED MORON. NOW INSTEAD OF GETTING AN EARLY START ON MY OWN WORK SATURDAY MORNING, I HAVE TO GO TO THE PO AND DO YOUR JOB.

YOU COULD HAVE CALLED YOUR SUPERVISOR TO SEE IF ANY RECENT DELIVERIES HAD BEEN MADE AT THIS ADDRESS. BUT THAT WOULD HAVE REQUIRED THOUGHT AND INITIATIVE AND RESPONSIBILITY.

BY THE WAY, THIS PLACE DOESN'T LOOK VACANT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION. MORON.

Ace,I say that it’s sad,cause that has happened to me a couple of times.You know for me,as annoying as it is,but since I’m not far from my PO,I sometimes leave it to be picked up.Cause the average time my carrier hits my house,it’s usually well after 5 pm.Even if it says the package should be delivered between one time,or another.But i do know my carrier has a pretty large route.Anyway,yea when something like that happened to you,it really sucks.