Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Black Chrome Trim

I found this jar of paint in my stash. I don’t recall buying it so I searched it on here and everyone seems to rave about it. But I’m not sure what folks use it for. What is the best use for this paint? In other words, what would you save it for if it was the only bottle you had. Thanks!😎

IMG_2089.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

There are several models of current and past vehicles that had black painted trim where there normally would have been a polished aluminum or stainless-steel chrome body trim. This paint would give a finish very similar to the appearance of that trim when detailing a model. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

There are several models of current and past vehicles that had black painted trim where there normally would have been a polished aluminum or stainless-steel chrome body trim. This paint would give a finish very similar to the appearance of that trim when detailing a model. 

So...is this stuff supposed to be "black chrome" or "trim black"?

They're very different things.

As I remember, this is simply a satin black paint which is often used in moldings which would otherwise be chrome (or shiny silver).  Not flat, and not glossy.  BMF black chrome is also to be applied to trim pieces which should be black instead of metallic chrome, but it doesn't produce as good of a result at the paint. Foil remains shiny, and the black color doesn't look like the black trim should look like.

Not sure why the name is suddenly being questioned. Both BMF and Testors have used that name/description for many years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The chrome moniker is weird. It's a matt finish and works well for black trim. It's a particularly black flat black. I love it and made sure to scoop up a couple bottles when Model Master called it quits. I like it for hoods on muscley Fords. I took some photos of an example, but the lousy lighting makes it difficult to show properly. The way the light plays on it in the photos makes it look grey, but it's actually quite black. More so than most standard flat blacks, and seems to have a mild sheen to it.

IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.9ace0e4cfe66061b464cf804e1c94005.jpeg

IMG_0384.thumb.jpeg.0674ce77c3c81054b956f59e639d07f1.jpeg

IMG_0382.thumb.jpeg.db96571d151201c1f0cbf0cd94d67403.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, peteski said:

Not sure why the name is suddenly being questioned. Both BMF and Testors have used that name/description for many years.

Because "black chrome" is a real thing. It's chrome. And it's black.

image.png.28ec4dab87082a6f969b4f2a607c3f76.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, peteski said:

I realize that Bill, but as long as I remember, Testors black chrome implied satin black (just like Trevor's photos show).

Second post after the OP I said I'd never seen it...or heard of it...and subsequently asked what it was supposed to be...black chrome or trim black, which in the real world are two entirely different things.

BMF "black chrome" I'm familiar with, and it's an attempt to produce an actual black chrome effect...which is why it's shiny.

Clear now?

EDIT: Model Master used to make several different "metalized" finishes I've used to good effect over many years.

I wondered if "black chrome" was one I'd somehow missed, as it IS available as a real-world paint product.

https://www.dna-paints.com/shop/chrome/black-chrome-2/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bainford said:

The chrome moniker is weird. It's a matt finish and works well for black trim. It's a particularly black flat black. I love it and made sure to scoop up a couple bottles when Model Master called it quits. I like it for hoods on muscley Fords. I took some photos of an example, but the lousy lighting makes it difficult to show properly. The way the light plays on it in the photos makes it look grey, but it's actually quite black. More so than most standard flat blacks, and seems to have a mild sheen to it.

IMG_0384.thumb.jpeg.0674ce77c3c81054b956f59e639d07f1.jpeg

Thanks for the pics Trevor.🙂 It looks like it has a texture to it. Is that a normal property of the paint or more so the application? I mean can it be sprayed to achieve a smooth finish?

Thanks, Greg. 
Edit: NICE lookin’ Torino!👍😎

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Thanks 1

The photos really don't show it well. It is not a particularly smooth paint application, but the texture isn't has heavy as it appears in the photos. When there is good daylight, I will try to get some more representative photos. It can be applied smooth, but will always have a matt/satin finish. By way of comparison, the shaker scoop is gloss black with a flat clear, and it has a rougher texture than the hood, though the photos show the opposite.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

As I remember, this is simply a satin black paint which is often used in moldings which would otherwise be chrome (or shiny silver).

That's exactly what it is! I may still have some, here. Once I saw what it was, I went back to using Tamiya X-18, which has a virtually identical sheen.

I liked it because it was another option to flat black and semi-gloss black. It had a slightly different sheen than the other paints I use. Tamiya semi-gloss is a bit more glossy than the black chrome trim to me. I'll miss it when I run out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I liked it because it was another option to flat black and semi-gloss black. It had a slightly different sheen than the other paints I use. Tamiya semi-gloss is a bit more glossy than the black chrome trim to me. I'll miss it when I run out.

Me too. The closest thing to it I have seen so far is Humbrol satin black.

Seems as though I've opened a can of worms with my explanation on this paint. I was just trying to provide an explanation of what it was for and how it looked. I don't want to confuse everyone any more than I have but let me see if I can put this in a way that everyone can better understand. Everyone, now google a picture of a '85 thru '88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. The moldings surrounding the windows, the grill area, and portions of the rear bumper and area under the trunk lid all are this shade of black and was often called "Black Chrome".  this was a style of trim used on a few GM Products in the hopes that they would look sportier or something. The few times that I had used it on a model the finish, at least to my eyes, looked like something between a flat black and a semi - gloss black. The finish itself was very smooth and in 1/25th scale looked very much like the trim used by GM.  

5 minutes ago, espo said:

Everyone, now google a picture of a '85 thru '88 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. The moldings surrounding the windows, the grill area, and portions of the rear bumper and area under the trunk lid all are this shade of black and was often called "Black Chrome".  this was a style of trim used on a few GM Products in the hopes that they would look sportier or something.

Thank you for that David. That is exactly what I remember being called black chrome (or blackout chrome). Not the shiny dark metallic color which is apparently also called black chrome.

Back around the same time I did the this with my '76 Camaro.  I painted the window trim, etc with satin black paint.  Black chrome baby!  :D

Camaro01_roll17SM.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, peteski said:

Thank you for that David. That is exactly what I remember being called black chrome (or blackout chrome). Not the shiny dark metallic color which is apparently also called black chrome.

Back around the same time I did the this with my '76 Camaro.  I painted the window trim, etc with satin black paint.  Black chrome baby!  :D

Camaro01_roll17SM.jpg

The reason for the example I used was that we ordered a new '86 Mont SS, in white with the dark red interior. Every option available except for the leaky T-Tops. Should never have sold it, but after 10 years and 100k miles and it was sitting in the garage more than being driven. The guy paid me what we had bought it for new, so cheap to own as well. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Ok, so it is supposed to be for trim such as this I take it.

Exactly! No blingy, shiny chrome - just sating black. :D  Testors likely first created that particular color around the time this "sporty" look started being popular on 1:1 cars.

Edited by peteski