Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT duster (hemi)

Some kits will fight you in every way, this one did. My fault though. I had a spare hemi from a 68 rr so I thought why not. OH boy. long story short everthing from the firewall forward was a real pain. The windshield interfered with the interior, i must have put the body on and off the chassis a dozen times. After a lot trial and error I finally managed to fit the hemi in. I am still looking for a proper air filter. I am sure I have one somewhere in my many part boxes. The steelies are from Fireball, the duster grille is from HART's parts. The rest is box stock. Paint is Tamiya camel yellow. Glad this one is done. On to the next one.

Cheers, 

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 01.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 02.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 03.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 04.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 05.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 06.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 08.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 09.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 10 (2).jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 11.jpg

plymouth 1971 duster hemi 12.jpg

• Like 8

Great looking paint color and finish. "School Bus Yellow" isn't exactly a sleeper color, but it sure works here. I'm sure you would have even more trouble putting a Hemi in a real Duster as well. The engine does look like it belongs there. Like the steel wheels and the chassis details. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Monty said:

Yeah, yeah, it's been done before

Just kidding.  Great build as always.  Hope that rear axle can hold up to that Hemi.  :P

Lol! On one hand you have a T-Rex of torque and on the other..... a Emu with a badge and a attitude,  a valve cover gasket leaking slant 6 and no Slurpee cup holder.   Man! That's a toss up!

I know what you did.....while Doug and Limue the emu were selling Liberty Mutual policies, you carjacked the Duster, scurried it to the happy grumpy garage.....well, you know the rest.

Great looking build made better with the standard Duster grill! Excellent detail of engine and chassis!

Edited by satterwhite78

On 5/6/2024 at 8:16 PM, TransAmMike said:
On 5/6/2024 at 8:38 PM, Zippi said:

Nice looking little Duster Mario.  That Hemi looks nice. 

Thanks Mike and Bob

On 5/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, ea0863 said:

It's a good looking beast Mario! And your ability to make the underside look as good as the topside never ceases to amaze :) 

Thanks Emre.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:07 PM, bill lanfear said:

Love this sleeper plain Jane look!  Your backdrop is exceptional!

Thanks Bill. I am currently working on another background. I am looking forward to post it.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:36 PM, Jim B said:

Great looking Duster.

Thanks James.

On 5/6/2024 at 10:38 PM, ReduitRetro said:

Beautiful Duster there my friend, nice job! But for some reason I feel the need to purchase more auto insurance...hmm, lol!

Thanks James. Agreed, and more life insurance too 😀

On 5/7/2024 at 12:41 AM, michelle said:

looks greats 

Thanks Michelle.

On 5/7/2024 at 5:41 AM, ncbuckeye67 said:

That's a beautiful build! I had issues with mine as well. I do love the yellow!

Thanks Jeff. Despite the issues though, it's fun kit to build.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:05 AM, drodg said:

Fun!  Good job.  

Thanks David.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, crazyjim said:

Awesome build and great dio.

Thanks Jim.

On 5/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, Monty said:

Yeah, yeah, it's been done before

image.png.95d7d879cd2b5cbd3dcfa1615f98a71a.png

Just kidding.  Great build as always.  Hope that rear axle can hold up to that Hemi.  :P

Thanks Monty, maybe the tires would melt before the rear axle gives.😄

23 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking paint color and finish. "School Bus Yellow" isn't exactly a sleeper color, but it sure works here. I'm sure you would have even more trouble putting a Hemi in a real Duster as well. The engine does look like it belongs there. Like the steel wheels and the chassis details. 

Thanks David. I don't know if it has ever  been done but it sure would be a challenge.

21 hours ago, karbuildr said:

I like the sleeper look, and that Hemi shows it's all business. Great job.

Thanks David.

20 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

Damn, that is one cool Mopar. Love your diorama settings, they make a very realistic looking photo. Do you make these dioramas from scratch?

Thanks Ken. Yes , all my backgrounds are scratch built. I find that they put the model in context . I'm glad you like it.

20 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Got there in the end Mario and looks great!

Thanks Garry. 

16 hours ago, satterwhite78 said:

Lol! On one hand you have a T-Rex of torque and on the other..... a Emu with a badge and a attitude,  a valve cover gasket leaking slant 6 and no Slurpee cup holder.   Man! That's a toss up!

I know what you did.....while Doug and Limue the emu were selling Liberty Mutual policies, you carjacked the Duster, scurried it to the happy grumpy garage.....well, you know the rest.

Great looking build made better with the standard Duster grill! Excellent detail of engine and chassis!

Thanks Charles. I carjacked it and never gave it back. 😄 Although the 340 grille gives it character,  i thing the standard grille was better suited for this project.

15 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Great paint work and details! Looks ready for business!

Thanks Doyle.

2 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

very nice build and pics!!

Thanks Ken

1 hour ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very unique. Kind of looks like a two-door taxicab. Nice work.

Thanks Donato

• Like 1