Model Cars Magazine Forum

87 (yes, 87) Monte Carlo SS

Hawk312

I built this from the ‘86 Revell Monte Carlo kit and added Rays decals. The rear end has been updated to and ‘87, which took a little more effort than you would think to get perfect. The tires are from the 77Trans am MPC kit, which are smaller but still look a little too big, IMO.  I took a step back on the detailing, as I had limited time to get this done.

IMG_4629.jpeg

IMG_4630.jpeg

IMG_4631.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

• Like 16

Beautiful looking Monte. The paint finish is better than anything GM was doing at that time, but the color is spot on. We ordered a new '86 Monte Carlo SS and owned it for 18 years. It was this shade of white with the dark maroon interior. The shape of the taillight reveals, and the decals are slightly different between the '87 and the '86. From what I can see of the interior it looks exact. The engine is detailed just like the real car. These were great cars for what was available at the time and your build look very accurate to my eyes.