Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Gasser

Nitro Neil

Man, thats just too cool! I love it. Did you chop the top, or is it resin?

The body is from the Monogram 1930 Model A Coupe kit. The frame is pieced together from the Model A kit and a spare AMT 33 Willys. Wheels and tires are from the Willys kit too (I think). The engine is from the AMT 67 Impala (the rest of the Impala kit is going into a replica of my 1:1 1968 Impala). The only resin is the Hilborn intake manifold.

Neil, that looks awesome! So great looking Gasser. That detailing is very good. How that car is got to that position. I mean how those front tires stay off the ground? Awesome job with it, it's just so realistic Hot Rod, thank you for sharing it!

Is it glued or weighted?

Actually, neither.

I filled the slicks with A+B Putty and drilled holes into both of them. I inserted a metal rod into the holes. Then I drilled holes at an angle into the mounting base to match the metal rods in the tires. I had to glue the rear tires on really well, and I got the angle a little too steep compared to the photo, but it still works.

The photo below shows the pin on one side. I need to touch it up with some black paint before I show it at a contest.

The good thing about this is I can take the pins out and display it flat and then judges can look underneath it.

And oh yeah, there isn't any driver in the car, so it would have to be a paranormal event to get the wheels up like that. :angry:

pin-vi.jpg

Edited by Nitro Neil