Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 4 weeks later...

During the winter I did some updates to my Ford as the front fenders painted in wrong shade of green and the black hood were disturbing me the whole time. Fenders required pretty big rust repairs before paint, but now it looks a bit better. I also spent some time to make the fenders, bumper, headlight bezels etc fit properly on their places. I think it was worth it.

Before:

20230808_190716-vi.jpg

After:

DSC01060-vi.jpg

• Like 8

I've got a few cars for fun. 

My '70 Chrysler 300 parked next to my '65 300L. This was at the Syracuse Nationals in 2023. 

L67Jgfu.jpg

I also have a '65 Formula S Barracuda. Another pic from the Syracuse Nationals, this time in 2021. 

P9qGWmQ.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks!

No hood scoop on this one, as I couldn't figure out a model that fits the look of the car. Maybe Mopar's Hemi scoop could have worked, but other than that I'm not so sure. :)

Trevor, it has just a Ford 302 Small Block under the hood, backed up by a 6-speed manual transmission. It's hopped up some, but it's nothing that special really... But, it runs ok on the street. Hopefully this summer I can get nitrous installed on it so I could try to run a 12 second ET with it...

14 hours ago, Big_John said:

My '70 Chrysler 300 parked next to my '65 300L. This was at the Syracuse Nationals in 2023. 

I also have a '65 Formula S Barracuda. Another pic from the Syracuse Nationals, this time in 2021. 

P9qGWmQ.jpg

Man.....you lucky dog. Those early Barracudas are the forgotten ones but IMO are still some sharp looking rides. I had a 66 Barracuda as my first car. It wasn't fast but it was a cool ride. Good lookin' '65 John. 4 speed or automatic? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man.....you lucky dog. Those early Barracudas are the forgotten ones but IMO are still some sharp looking rides. I had a 66 Barracuda as my first car. It wasn't fast but it was a cool ride. Good lookin' '65 John. 4 speed or automatic? 

Thank you.

The Barracuda is an automatic.  I looked for one for many years.  When one would come up, it was either too rough or the timing was bad. I had actually given up on finding one. It belonged to a friend and I had told him "if you ever want to sell it".  He called 6 years ago and I didn't hesitate. This one is an original California car and it's loaded with everything except A/C.

I have some work on the interior though... The mice had gotten to it and destroyed the headliner and carpet. I pulled everything out and what couldn't be  cleaned was replaced. It's not perfect, but it's really a fun car to drive.  

I built a 1/32 Monogram model of it and 3d printed some Rally wheels to match the ones on my car.  The 1/25 AMT version for 1965 is $$$$, so this one is good. 

gUDxxcz.jpg

13 hours ago, Big_John said:

Thank you.

The Barracuda is an automatic.  I looked for one for many years.  When one would come up, it was either too rough or the timing was bad. I had actually given up on finding one. It belonged to a friend and I had told him "if you ever want to sell it".  He called 6 years ago and I didn't hesitate. This one is an original California car and it's loaded with everything except A/C.

I have some work on the interior though... The mice had gotten to it and destroyed the headliner and carpet. I pulled everything out and what couldn't be  cleaned was replaced. It's not perfect, but it's really a fun car to drive.  

I built a 1/32 Monogram model of it and 3d printed some Rally wheels to match the ones on my car.  The 1/25 AMT version for 1965 is $$$$, so this one is good. 

gUDxxcz.jpg

Nice. Best looking Barracuda to my eyes and your paint job is spot on.

steve 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Nice. Best looking Barracuda to my eyes and your paint job is spot on.

steve 

Took me a couple tries and I finally gave up trying to paint the stripes.  The car is painted with Tamiya white acrylic and I bought a sample of red vinyl on eBay and cut the stripes by hand. The vinyl was meant for wrapping cars and the sample just cost me just a couple bucks. Since then, I bought my wife a Cricut machine and I notice some of the vinyl she buys for it is a little thinner, so if I had to do it over, I'd look at using that vinyl. 

I kind of like that 1/32 size though and have thought about doing more in that scale. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 6:40 PM, Big_John said:

L67Jgfu.jpg

P9qGWmQ.jpg

A 340 or 360 with a 6-pack would really wake this thing up.....😉👍

7 hours ago, deuces wild said:

A 340 or 360 with a 6-pack would really wake this thing up.....😉👍

Actually, the 273 Formula S motor is nothing to sneeze at.  4bbl AFB carb with a solid lifter cam, adjustable rocker arms, dual point, 10.5:1 pop up pistons etc.  With the stock 3.23 gears, it's got enough snap for me.  It's just a good package the way it sits. It's a little tired and  it's going to get a fresh engine one of these days, and yes, it will be a 273, although I may go with lower compression pistons because of the gas available (now and in the future) and I already have the pistons. (which also saves $670!) 

I've had fast street cars...  It's out of my system now. 

• Like 1