Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buying kits from Japan

Hobby Search and Hobby Link both have online set ups. IIRC, you place your order and then they send a confirmation email. When they make sure they have the items, they send another email with information for paying. I used Paypal.

Shipping will take a little time but nothing outrageous - two weeks or so.

I ordered my kits from Hobby Search Japan. Excellent service and they have (had) a bonus where you could earn "points" to reduce the price of other models. I went to their website and used my CC, the bank took care of the currency exchange.

A few years ago, (before the banking mess, home mortgage mess, stock market crash, etc..) I found that I could buy kits from Japan and get them shipped to me cheaper than what I could order them for from places like Dragon USA or Tower hobbies. Now, with the dollar value in the sink and the yen at a very high price, that is not the case. You can end up spending a lot more for kits directly from Japan.

On the other hand, you can get kits from Japan that are never sold in the states, so if you want them then Japan is the only place to get them from. Other online model shops in UK and Australia for example will be more expensive that stuff from Japan.

I would usually receive my shipments within 10 days after ordering. One time I even got them within 3 days!

As far as payment, use a credit card or debit card. No checks, check at the site for PayPal, but I never used it. I always just used the website to order from, never called them. Although I did GET a call from Japan once, from an online hobby shop associated with Asoshima (since closed). The lady had a problem with my card and called me up to get it straightened out. I thought that was excellent customer service and ordered all my kits from them until they closed up shop.

I have used Hobby Link Japan but they do seem to be a bit slower on shipping. The last time I ordered from Japan was late 2010.

I've used Hobby Link Japan for years, used Hobby Search and an eBay seller tokyo-hobby occasionally. With HLJ, I use PayPal...my last order from them earlier this month took about 2 weeks to get..the only annoyance was having to go to the post office to sign for the package.

I had a terrible experience with Hobby Search. I ordered, paid, waited, then my box arrived empty. It was photoetch stuff that fell out of the box when tape was broken during shipment. I complained and they refused to do anything. I lodged a complaint through PayPal then they refunded my money, but I canceled my account and vowed never again to shop with them. But that's just my experience, maybe only one bad one among millions of good ones.

HLJ will forever be my favored vendor from Japan.

I've done it several times. It works the same. The only difference I can remember is that it takes longer. And everytime I've received my merchandise which is not something I can say about US companies, not to mention any, Stradasports, cough cough.

If you're willing to spend a little more HLJ offers FedEx International shipping and I get my orders in 3 business days after it ships from their warehouse.

Whats a little more?

I only buy non US kits from Japan or China, prices are better, and even with shipping, the kits still come under or just about what they sell for here

Whats a little more?

I only buy non US kits from Japan or China, prices are better, and even with shipping, the kits still come under or just about what they sell for here

Actually at the moment shipping things from HLJ is the 2nd most expensive way, for some reason right now EMS is clocking in $5 more expensive than FedEx which is $4 more than SAL. IMHO the extra $4 is worth having a live real-time tracking number, getting the shipment in 3 business days, and having it delivered with a signature required.

I've seen some SAL stuff that looks like it was used to play soccer with as it was shipped overland backwards from Japan based on the nearly month-long waits.

I've seen some people charging $17 for SAL and $31 for EMS on eBay, so the $15 for FedEx is a bargain and 3-8x faster.

I've used SAL and EMS w/ HLJ, EMS on the two most recent orders...been about 2 weeks for EMS delivery. I switched to EMS after the last couple SAL orders arrived w/ the boxes pretty mangled. Will have to try FedEx, as they usually deliver late enough in the day that I'm home to sign for it. EMS arrives through the postal delivery and I end up stuck having to go to the PO on a Saturday to pick up the package (which an annoyance because of the lines and limited hours)..I hate going to the post office, since they closed the one that was about 1.5 miles away and I have to go to another one about 3 miles away..

Edited by Rob Hall

I've used HLJ for about the last ten years and have had one problem which they happily took care of. I use Paypal but they also accept money orders. I also use Hobby Search (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/) and they accept Paypal as well. I've used them for a few years and have yet to experience any problems. B)

(I fixed the URL for the english version of the site Tony)

Gregg

Edited by Gregg
English version

I have purchased kits from both Hobby Link Japan and Hobby Search and detail sets from several others with no problem. I recommend you use Pay Pal.

Ordering is straight forward on their sites.

joe.

Edited by jaydar

Well, I mostly do the same way you guys do, although I use Japan mostly for supplies like paint, photo etch, accesories and stuffl ike that. But, about ten years ago I used to do something different that beleive me, paid me BIG...I have a friend there that after I search trough all the Yahoo Japan auction hobby section, I used to sent him an international money order with the amount for what I liked and then he won the auction onmy behalf and sent me the models. It was a little pricey sometimes, because I ha to cover the mail from the place in Japan where the item was auctioned to his place(Nagano), then the mail from Japan to Puerto Rico, but..you would get a rare model at the end. I remember two very rare ones, Monogram-Hasegawa boxed Porsche 904GTS and a 1/24 Mazda R100. The other day I though to look again for my friend since I re-discover the Yahoo auctions with very nice kits.

Simón P.Rivera Torres

For kits and aftermarket parts I can't find at my LHS I'd shop around between on-line retailers and see who has all the stuff I want for the best price I can get. I mostly use HLJ (www.hlj.com), Hobby Search (www.1999.co.jp/eng) and Hobby Easy (www.hobbyeasy.com), all of which I have great experience with.