Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

45 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

This flyer was in some MPC car kits around 1970.  Apparently it has been reissued during the Round 2 era, presumably due to the sci-fi interest. 

Pretty interesting late 1960's vision for manned interplanetary exploration,  eventually missed by decades and still not on the plate 50 years later....TIM 

MPC Pilgrim Observer, pg  2

MPC Pilgrim Observer, pg 1

I need to find me one, as I have a strange kink for Space related kits. 

MPC #9001 1/100 Pilgrim Observer Space Station

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Jessie, nice kit I didn't know about but here is another that probably was from the same era.  Do you remember the old wood burning kits?  Lets give a kid a block of wood and a very hot soldering iron and tell them to burn a pattern into the wood!  What could possibly go wrong.  p.s. I've still got the scars to prove it!

image.jpeg.4f31e160cbffd4e60998096318b6d1a1.jpeg

I remember seeing them once in a while, but I do remember that we used larger soldering irons in wood shop to decorate some projects. 

Almost as fun as the Glass Making kit! Hey kids! Let's cut glass!

Pin on Crafts - Budding Artist

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I remember seeing them once in a while, but I do remember that we used larger soldering irons in wood shop to decorate some projects. 

Almost as fun as the Glass Making kit! Hey kids! Let's cut glass!

Pin on Crafts - Budding Artist

Oh lordy, I remember that one.  Dad used it to cut the top and bottom of a gallon jug to make a "cloud chamber" for my older sisters science project in high school. Yup, these type of tools taught us a lot about to  be cautious without being afraid.  Actually, I think I was more afraid of getting blood on the carpet than hurting myself.  Mom was nurse and could always stitch me up but the carpet would always be stained!

Edited by Pete J.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Snake45 said:

I had one of those, used it a few times without injury. 

Later, I tried to jury-rig an Xacto knife head to it and make my own "Auto Cutter." The aluminum Xacto head didn't survive two minutes of the first test session. :lol:

I had the same idea - but I just took the blade, broke off half of the handle end (lengthwise) to narrow it, and secured it to the woodburner by tucking it into a nut that was just big enough to press-fit onto the shaft. It did work fairly well.

20 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I need to find me one, as I have a strange kink for Space related kits. 

MPC #9001 1/100 Pilgrim Observer Space Station

I have one of above reissued versions finished. Other than putting on the decals. I need to get around to doing so, and posting it in the section on "other" models. 

• 9 months later...
15 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Those are pretty wacky! Looks like the character Lupin III in those kooky cars

Lupin III & Fiat, Gunze Sangyo G-341 (1995)

Those kits were dead standard Gunze kits, non hi-tech. Anime is huge, specific cars to each. 
I have a Citroen 2CV from this anime series that has a factory resin cast corrugated hood and other details to match cartoon. I think it has figures. Kit is normal save for that. 
Only kit of early 40’s 2CV out there. 

21 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Funny, Japanese makers don't seem to have a problem putting money into tooling "limited interest" subjects. 

Nichimo did a whole bunch of 1/8 scale musical instruments, even a banjo.  Also a "Hawaiian Band" set IIRC, with several different instruments including a steel guitar.  I got these electric guitars and amps from eBay long ago, just because they're neat and weird. Goofy Japanese girls not included.

nichg-1.jpg

nichg-2.jpg

Otaki also made some interesting Cam Am kits (1/28ish) including the go kart Shadow and Chaparral 2H. I've got the whole series but am not inclined to dig them out of hiding so these interweb images will have to do for now. Some are better rendered than others but are all pretty cool. Due to the odd scale my initial intent was to build chassis and run them on my 1/32 track, but for now they're destined for the shelf once I get them unpacked. 

avs-shadow-am-28-japan-otaki-kit_1_01b9651594c07980906042ea407b4c4b.jpg

original.jpg

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That might be an interesting thread: "Name all the kits made in 1/28th scale."

You're right, there won't be many!  But Revell's WWI aircraft kits, first released decades ago, are in 1/28 scale.  I think they're still being released today, and aftermarket companies like Tom's Modelworks make photo-etched spoked wheels, machine guns and other parts for them.  I've also seen non-aircraft modelers use those spoked wheels for 1/25 scale motorcycle wheels, dragster front wheels and such. 

I've never seen those 1/28 scale Revell car kits before.  When I did, I wondered if Revell was trying to tie them into the aircraft kits, since they're all from roughly the same era. 

21 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

1964 Revell Beatles Model Kits - My brother and I got these when they were  first released. The Fab Four! | Beatles memorabilia, Beatles art, The  beatles

I'd love to see these reissued.   The build up is without a doubt the best I've ever seen. Typically they're glue bombs missing pieces and well above my price range. As for a reissue, there's a term snowball's chance.....

24 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I'd love to see these reissued.   The build up is without a doubt the best I've ever seen. Typically they're glue bombs missing pieces and well above my price range. As for a reissue, there's a term snowball's chance.....

Can you say "Major Licensing Agreement"?

I Reckon Paul, Ringo and the estates of John and George would have a lot to say about their likenesses on any products. Probably why they haven't been reissued since.

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

Never knew about those kits...very cool..my sister would love those....I built the AMT Yellow Submarine kit for her when it was reissued.

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

I have only seen one here and there, but I only have seen one mint complete set at the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas in their display. Hope they went to a good home when the place got torn down! 

And as Oldcarfan says, license is probably keeping them from ever getting re-issued. I am curious on how they may have sold back in the day. 

16 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Otaki also made some interesting Cam Am kits (1/28ish) including the go kart Shadow and Chaparral 2H. I've got the whole series but am not inclined to dig them out of hiding so these interweb images will have to do for now. Some are better rendered than others but are all pretty cool. Due to the odd scale my initial intent was to build chassis and run them on my 1/32 track, but for now they're destined for the shelf once I get them unpacked. 

avs-shadow-am-28-japan-otaki-kit_1_01b9651594c07980906042ea407b4c4b.jpg

original.jpg

Sorta like the Vanquish slot cars.

14 hours ago, iBorg said:

The 4 Beatles figures have been re-popped in resin over the years.  Here's a link to a Worthpoint sale for all 4 of them.  You're right, that is a great build.  Complete with the Academy 1/8 scale Ludwig drum set!   

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/beatles-revell-complete-set-resin-1793855142