Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

I'm working with the shaky camera and no lights set up. I will just post a couple of basic shots right now. Then I will try setting up a tripod, and light stand before sending pics of the body and stuff. The body looks pretty nice. The side trim has the "Futuramic" lettering engraved in it.

The "Globe" logo for the hood is on the chrome tree, and looks pretty nice.

The decals look great

Here is the decal sheet

50oldsdecalsheet.jpg

http://i69.photobuck...sdecalsheet.jpg

This is the tire

http://i69.photobuck...50oldstire2.jpg

50oldstire2.jpg

and the engine sprue.

http://i69.photobuck...enginesprue.jpg

50oldsenginesprue.jpg

I am setting up a tripod, and waiting for the decent camera to return from a talent show. I hope to get some pics of the body that don't get completely wiped out by the built in flash. Until then, I am checking out the kit and toying with different ideas for it. There is no tri power, but the motor looks really nice.

There are separate sway bars, the coil springs are two pieces, there is a separate x piece for the frame that is installed after the exhaust system, capturing it so that it passes through the hole in the frame like the prototype. Three separate pedals, and nice looking parts all around. It is hard to tell with bare plastic, but I think the roof will need the very slightest amount of sanding to smooth out the headliner pattern. The whole frame is separate from the floorpan, and there are a lot of small fiddly bits in the suspension and steering to keep the detail fanatics happy. Wipers are separate, and there is a lot of underhood and firewall detail. Overall, this a really nice looking kit, and although we will never know how it goes together until we have actually assembled one, it looks like it should all line up pretty well. If the parts fit is as impressive as the detail, we're good.

Here's the chrome tree. I will post this, and a shot of the body tonight. The rest, I can get tomorrow, although it looks pretty much like the shots earlier in this thread. (I looked for the photo postin guidlines, but I couldn't find the limit for pictures per day. I hope I am not exceeding it here. If I am, feel free to delete.

50oldschrome1.jpg

and a view of the body

50oldsfront.jpg

Dave, try copying and pasting the "[i M G]" image tag here on the forum, as that will post the image directly for easy viewing. You may have to click on the "Share" tab above your image in your PB account to see the image link options.

I don't think there is an images/day limit, but I think seven or eight images per post is the limit...and thanks for sharing the pics so far.

Thanks for sharing your pics of this kit's contents !

That hood looks like it fits quite nicely ; looks like it's moulded-shut !

I , too , feel that R-M left the emblems off due to the common practise of builders using photoetch .

Those "glode" emblems are too neat ! I can imagine them being applied to other kits (like , on the hood of , say , Revell's 1956 F-100 , when the kit's engine is replaced by the Rocket engine from this Olds kit !) .

The hood fit is great. If you are painting the kit, you will need to take a light swipe on the sides with a sanding stick to leave room for the paint thickness. There is also a little bit of flash and parting line cleanup on the back of the hood and the insides of the front fenders, but it is minimal and easy to clean up. So far, it looks like a pretty well engineered kit. All of the mold lines seem easily removed, and nothing runs across the middle of a detailed area.

I am going to grab a 51 Chevy kit or two from the stash today and hold them up next to the olds to see if it will be possible to kitbash the roofs. I know it will take abit of surgery, including some lengthening and widening of the chevy roofs, but if it is possible, that allows us to do the hardtop and fastback versions of this car too. It might also be fairly easy to make a convertable, using a couple of the Chevy parts as the interior is mostly straight lines. I can see this one being hacked into a four door too.

Lucas has a Drag Racing decal sheet, and a few stock car sheets for it. I am sure that a resin caster will do the sedan version, so that we can use the Pan American decals in the kit correctly, and I was even staring at pics of the wagon. It would be a lot of work, but the results would be spectacular. There are seven basic body styles of the 88, plus it could be made as a 76 if the right engine could be found.

So many ideas, so little time...

Dave, first, THANX for the photos. Second, could you tell us exactly which emblems have been replaced by decals? Looks like the only ones are the Oldsmobile scripts from what I can tell in the photos. If those are the only ones, I can deal with that. I'm just glad that Revell didn't chop the top on it! I can't wait to get at least a couple of these!

The Oldsmobile lettering on the front and rear of the car and the 88 Rocket emblem on the trunk lid are decals. The globes are on the chrome tree, and look really nice. The rocket logo on the trunk looks like it would be hard to do as a photoetch piece because it is pretty three dimensional. the Oldsmobile lettering would be tough too, as it would have to be done as ten separate letters and applied individually. Really those two items should have been cast right into the body, so that people who wanted to build without them could sand them off. I remember somebody was making metallic transfers that came on a backing sheet once. You laid the transfers on the car while still attached to the backing sheet, so that they all ended up aligned and spaced correctly. That might be the best way to tackle the Oldsmobile lettering.

The 88 numbers on the chrome taillight spears are raised instead of recessed, and there are decals included for them as well. I am not sure how the decals will stick to the raised chrome letters, but it looks like Revell had no real way to reproduce that detail in 1/25 scale. I think a little bit of dry brushing with a VERY steady hand will produce nice results there. THere is a parting line doen the middle of the taillight spear, which would need to be cleaned up if you were building this kit for a contest. Then you would need to get it replated, or use Alclad on it. It will still look pretty nice with the parting lines cleaned off of the lens areas, and the lenses painted in. Between the taillights, the globe emblems, the dash and interior and the hubcaps there is a lot of room for a detail painter to show off their work. Break out the 10/0 brushes and enjoy! I am still trying to decide how I want to build this one.

Unusual for me to get an early-release anything....I usually wait for the prices to come down on the net....BUT, I just happened to be in the LHS neighborhood today and they had it, for less than mailorder, so I got one. Gotta say I'm pleased. My kit does NOT have the optional 3X2 carb setup shown in a post above, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed.

The trans, by the way, is a MANUAL 3 speed, and would be the hot-setup in any hot rod application calling for a side-shift LaSalle gearbox (change the tailshaft housing though, if it's a closed-driveshaft car). Interesting they did the manual box, as most Oldsmobiles came with automatics, even back then.The stock valve covers look great, and even come with the Olds Rocket decals. Kewl.....I've been waiting for a set of these for YEARS. There are nubbular spark-plugs molded-in the cylinder heads that will have to be removed to wire the engine, but on the flip side, the head-bolt detail is beautiful, and all of the engine modeling looks superb. The carb doesn't look spot-on, but I'll have to compare it to the 1:1 we have in the shop before I pass judgment permanantly.

Only thing that doesn't look quite right to me (and I MAY be wrong here) is the lack of taper on the ends of the rear axle housing. The hole in the top of the housing above the chunk (that probably won't show anyway) gets filled with a molded ear on the chunk, but will take a little work to make it clean. The accuracy of the rear end matters to me because it was one of the desirable parts under a lot of hot rods and early drag cars, and I was hoping for a really good one. The tires are just a little too radial-looking and not quite bias-ply-looking enough to be perfect, but they DO look good.

The body tool is obviously complex on this model, judging from the number and location of the parting-lines, and on first, quick inspection it looks to me like they did a fine job. Overall, I'm really happy Revell did this model, and in the hands of a competent builder it can look spectacular.

My first thought when this kit was announced was to do a fastback, and early recon of the AMT Chevy Fleetline (and the hardtop Bel Air) indicate the swaps will be fairly straightforward, as they should be. In 1:1, the Olds and Chevy were based on the same bodyshell, with the primary differences being ahead of the firewall. Hacking commences shortly.

I know some people may already have this kit in hand, and have posted some images on the web, we're proceeding as we normally do with our preview/review buildup.

Let's get started!

The new 1950 Olds is certainly a welcome release, and one that has been high on builders request list.

PICT0006-vi.jpg

Here we see the hood and its hinges, fender skirts, air cleaner assembly, and the floorboard. The chassis is a separate piece.

PICT0007-vi.jpg

This tree shows the interior panels, visors, steering wheel, and seat back.

PICT0009-vi.jpg

Closeup of the door panel detail

PICT0010-vi.jpg

Dash panel and rear seat

PICT0011-vi.jpg

This tree has parts for the race version, including the roll bar and rear seat replacement panel

PICT0014-vi.jpg

This tree entails most of the engine components

PICT0013-vi.jpg

Closeup of one side of the engine and the 3 speed manual transmission

PICT0025-vi.jpg

Closer look at the valve covers

PICT0026-vi.jpg

Firewall and radiator closeout panels

PICT0024-vi.jpg

Continued...

Edited by Len Carsner

Balance of the chassis parts

PICT0021-vi.jpg

Closeup of the wheel detail

PICT0022-vi.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of this image, this shows the chrome tree which includes the 'globe" emblems for the front and rear. The balance of the body markings are on the decal sheet

PICT0017-vi.jpg

Besides the stock vehicle markings the decal sheet also includes the markings for two race versions. We'll go into more detail about those two race cars in a future installment

PICT0019-vi.jpg

So there you have it, a quick look at what's in the box of this exciting new release. Stay tuned as we build two versions (street and race) and give you tips and advice for your own projects.

Thanks for looking, see you in a couple of days.

Bill Coulter - Len Carsner

This looks pretty sweet. I think this is the first coupe or hardtop kit I've ever seen that comes with visors as separate pieces. The engine we know will be robbed for a whole lot of hot rods... Personally, I love the roses on the decal sheet. I know that I'll be picking up at least a couple of these...