Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

It's a J2 3x2 setup, the carbs appear to be two parters, with an upper & a lower part, & the manifold & possibly the valve covers for the high lift cams? (we can always hope), this should be a popular engine, as there were a lot of "oldies" that used the Olds engines, I have plans for one to go into an early sixties Super-Modified racecar, with the 4x2 manifold & carbs borrowed from the Revell Cadillac parts pack engine.

Something like this, maybe..

golden5.jpg

Am I right that this would be the only 303ci Olds engine, other than the Beatnik Bandit?

What's the engine color on this model? The 1950 Oldsmobile brochure shows a yellow-orange color, but I always thought these engines were metallic green.

All the first-gen Olds OHV V8s are visually similar, from '49 to '63, 303cu.in thru 394 and updating / backdating is easy. The factory 303s were a medium dark green, no metallic...at least the original one in the shop is. Valve covers were gold, and black details like generator, pulleys, fan, starter and oil filler tube. Revell offered the Olds OHV in several other kits besides the Roth BB.. It was in the Orange Crate in injected form, the first SWC Willys had a blown version, and at least one of the Anglia drag cars came with one. None of the Revell Olds first-gen V8s had stock front covers or water pumps, but the AMT blobular version in the '40 Tudor Ford had a nice front casting as well as a good 3X2 manifold. (The factory J2 manifold was cast iron, painted engine color....aftermarket 3X2s were aluminum).

I used a Revell engine and the AMT stock front cover / water pump to come up with this. I've been waiting for the upcoming Revell Olds kit to get a set of stock valve covers, as every other Olds engine out there that I know of has finned or polished ones. I'm pretty sure one of the resin casters has done something very similar to my AMT-Revell mashup. This intake is wrong....it's a 4 carb manifold I was working on from the Revell Caddy parts pack, not the AMT 3X2.

I believe the Olds was available with a 3 speed stick thru '53, but the new kit looks to have the Hydramatic. The model below has a LaSalle 3 speed which looks about right for the stick box, though the tailshaft housing would be different in an Olds.

DSCN1521.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

>>I didn't notice it before, but the wheels appear to be die-cast style, with halves which glue together before inserting them into the tires. :(

>I fail to see any significant downside to that. :huh:

i fail to see a problem either...expand a bit maybe, Casey?

The tires never seem to fit tight to the wheels in my experience, and you don't get the "sandwich" effect with these newer style wheels and tires, like you do with the older style wheel "halves". I just think these new style wheels with the external ribs and the matching tires look a lot more toy-like than kit tires we've seen over the last 30 years or so. All of Revell's newer snap kits have this style of wheel and tire, too, it seems, so maybe this is a permanent change for all of their new kits?

The tires in the Revell '68 Firebird and '69 Nova kits are the two examples I can think of-- they lack sidewall detail, and simply have no "life" nor character to them.

I haven't had much of a problem with those style wheels, as far as fit and not looking convincing once they're assembled. I do agree on the completely blank tire sidewalls though, and you'd most likely need to grind off that 'lip' to install another, non-kit sourced tire. The Kurtis Midget kit tires (as well as the trailer) have more or less the same type of tire mounting setup, and it works pretty well on that kit.

All the first-gen Olds OHV V8s are visually similar, from '49 to '63, 303cu.in thru 394 and updating / backdating is easy. The factory 303s were a medium dark green, no metallic...at least the original one in the shop is. Valve covers were gold, and black details like generator, pulleys, fan, starter and oil filler tube. Revell offered the Olds OHV in several other kits besides the Roth BB.. It was in the Orange Crate in injected form, the first SWC Willys had a blown version, and at least one of the Anglia drag cars came with one. None of the Revell Olds first-gen V8s had stock front covers or water pumps, but the AMT blobular version in the '40 Tudor Ford had a nice front casting as well as a good 3X2 manifold. (The factory J2 manifold was cast iron, painted engine color....aftermarket 3X2s were aluminum).

I used a Revell engine and the AMT stock front cover / water pump to come up with this. I've been waiting for the upcoming Revell Olds kit to get a set of stock valve covers, as every other Olds engine out there that I know of has finned or polished ones. I'm pretty sure one of the resin casters has done something very similar to my AMT-Revell mashup. This intake is wrong....it's a 4 carb manifold I was working on from the Revell Caddy parts pack, not the AMT 3X2.

I believe the Olds was available with a 3 speed stick thru '53, but the new kit looks to have the Hydramatic. The model below has a LaSalle 3 speed which looks about right for the stick box, though the tailshaft housing would be different in an Olds.

Nice mod. Thanks for the info. The Orange Crate, Willys, Anglia/Thames engines were supposedly 394 ci engines of course, but I take your point about the simularities of the 303/324/371/394 ci engine family.

I didn't really mean metallic green. I have seen some pictures of these engines that appear to be darker green, but the vast majority seem to look like a very bright (hence my misuse of the term metallic) medium green. Do you know why they appear like this. Can you suggest a paint to use?

...I'm pretty sure one of the resin casters has done something very similar to my AMT-Revell mashup. ...

Ken Kitchen at Kitchen Table Resins (see http://public.fotki....ble_resin_kits/ ) has offered a very nice one for several years now.

OldsJ2Label-vi.jpg

dano001-vi.jpg

dano003-vi.jpg

dano005-vi.jpg

Quoting from Ken's caption for these photos: "This engine was built by Daniel Robinson using some parts not included in the kit. The headers came from Revell Special Edition 69 Nova kit as well as the air cleaners. Daniel says the carbs came from his parts box but he believes they originally came from the Monogram 65 GTO kit. Photo by Daniel Robinson"

You know a kit is eagerly awaited when the topic covers thirteen pages before the kit even hit store shelves...and there are duplicate questions (aftermarket Olds engines) and matching duplicate replies (see post #54 ;) ) in the same topic. :lol:

Only a few more days... ^_^

You know a kit is eagerly awaited when the topic covers thirteen pages before the kit even hit store shelves...and there are duplicate questions (aftermarket Olds engines) and matching duplicate replies (see post #54 ;) ) in the same topic. :lol:

Only a few more days... ^_^

Can't wait. I need one like a hole in the head but this will be a must have kit.

You know a kit is eagerly awaited when the topic covers thirteen pages before the kit even hit store shelves...

Take a peek in the Hemi Cuda thread and see the insanity brewing. It's been locked, and un-locked, once already. People are all over the map talking about it being a potential new-tool. I wonder how hot, heavy, and " lively " that thread will get!

Im also looking forward to the Olds. I re-vamped the old die-cast version by Ertl into a stock car years ago.

I just picked one up on my way home for lunch today. It had just hit the shelves as I was walking into the store. (Glad I had an early shift today!)

Looks okay. Probably better as a custom, rod or race car than a factory stock build. The body looks great. The parting lines are well located and should be very easy to clean up. There is a huge undercut section on the rear wheelwells that is really well done. I had thought that they would have to make that a separate piece, but it is molded right into the body, and is really nice. The hood has a couple of sinkmarks on it where the hinges attach to the inside, but they will be easy to deal with. I was going to jump right on this one, but I noticed a couple of details that will probably put this kit behind some others on my "To Do" list. No emblems on the body. (They are on the decal sheet.)

The dash looks great. It should be a lot of fun detailing the interior on this kit. The wheels look good, and the tires have the right basic look, but have no sidewall details. (The tread is nice though) The motor parts look great on trees, and should build up into areally nice motor for street rod projects, as well as looking great in the Olds.

Based on the 15 minutes I have before I run back to work, this looks like a pretty decent kit. I may wait to see if somebody is going to do etch for it though, as the decal emblems don't really look that good. (Please MCG, do this one and the 62 Impala!!!)

I can come up with a lot of uses for the motor! First one is going into my '29 "A" Roadster Pickup!

I'll be back in a few hours with more details. If nobody else can stick photos of the parts up, I may be able to do that after dinner tonight. Some nice surprises here, like a rear seat insert, roll bar and an "American Stock Car" decal version as well as the Pan American winner. Looks like a pretty good kit that could be made into a great model with a couple of minor additions.

I just picked one up on my way home for lunch today. It had just hit the shelves as I was walking into the store. (Glad I had an early shift today!)

Looks okay. Probably better as a custom, rod or race car than a factory stock build.

Sounds disturbing....factory stock is the only version I'm interested in. is the big globe thingy on the hood molded in place or a decal? I can see the 'Oldsmobile letters being a decal, but not the big emblems)...

No emblems on the body. (They are on the decal sheet.)

Hmmm, maybe Revell has decided most people will opt for photoetched emblems/nameplates, and forewent (is that a word?) engraving them into the tooling? I actually prefer them being left off, but to each their own.