Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help me understand why some of you guys like kits like these

Wow, that's spooky! I knew you were talking about Zingers before I clicked on the thread! For me, I love kits like these! I have all the Zingers several times over, all the original Tom Daniels kits, Funsters, etc! They have a huge nostalgia factor and they are just fun to build! They are a great break from building a super detailed exact replica of something!

i don't have much enthusiasm for anything that doesn't at least have SOME accurate scale parts in it.

i never got much into cartoon kits as a kid, either, and at the prices some of these are going for, they're too expensive for "slump busters". even my own scratchbuilt "flights of fancy" strive for some sort of functional realism. "rat rods" don't do much for me, either, because i remember what real hot rods were intended to look like. stagecoach wheels on muscle cars give me nausea as well.

The same reason I build these. I was influenced by the art of Ed Roth as a kid, used to recreate his pics from the postage stamp size pics in the ads in Hot Rod, rod and Custom way back when. They are fun little novelty builds. back when I started modeling we could buy models 1/32nd scale from Mono for 49 cents.

DragNut.jpg

Edited by Mercman

I think you knew the answer before you asked the question. "Different strokes for different folks."

Actually, I didn't. As I said in my initial post, my goal from the day I started building was to try to build the most accurate replicas of my favorite 1:1 cars that my abilities would allow. This way of thinking was formed by seeing better builders' models at contests and trying to learn what they did that gave them an edge over the other contestants.

Apparently my mistake was assuming that most car modelers shared the same passion for realism as the military modelers, which, to my way of thinking, would preclude building anything cartoonish. Having read all the responses, you can imagine my surprise in finding so much support for these things on here.

As many of have said, they're fun! I don't consider anything I do for fun or relaxing a serious endevour. I love the simpler kits, Snappers, curbsides Legos! . I admire and appreciate you guys who turn out cars that look like you shot a shrink ray at a 1:1 vehicle, but heck I'm having fun and thats what matters to me, and enjoyment and fun is what a hobby should bring to everyone (IMHO)

As my avitar might suggest I'm still into many things Roth. I like all of the old Revell Roth Kits and have built almost every one as a kid when they were new and as an adult. I just finished building a Mother's Worry kit from an original '60's kit for my nephew, his only stipulation was that it be built like it would have when it was a new kit. It took a great deal of restraint to not over-do it, for the "privilege" of building this kit I found and built a 1999 vintage Mother's Worry that is detailed a bit, polished paint, Mother's Worry figure airbrushed and all seams filled. Both kits are mounted on slate tile like they are racing one another. My nephew was overjoyed when I gave it to him for his birthday. He's a 30+ year old who knew nothing of Ed Roth, Thom Daniels or Dave Deal, his appreciation comes from seeing the models built by my self or his Dad's glue bombs saved from when we were kids.

As a model building exercise these "fun" kits provide a source of entertainment that I don't always get when building a serious replica (kit). I love finding an old glue bomb of one of the not so serious kits. If I screw something up getting it apart it can always be blended until it appears like it was ment to be that way.

Some of us are old enough that we remember Ira's work in Car Modeler and Model Car Science which for it's time was both serious and cutting edge. Yet I really get a huge charge out of seeing the current stuff that he's building today. You don't have to look hard to see he's having a blast building them either. Check out his "Ramchero" and other builds, it's all tongue in cheek fun. While checking out those builds look deeper to the background at all those cool kits, (he's got more kits in reserve than some hobby shops carry). He's got a ton of kits to choose from, yet he's building the "not so serious" kits applying all that experience and skill to them and having a whole lot of fun all the while!

Bottom line, those of us who appreciate these kind of kits like them for their fun and maybe just a bit of nostalgia. I build these kits but I'd never go near some of the 60's or 70's bizare show car stuff, absolutely abhor rat rods real or models, yet I see and appreciate the skill it takes to pull them both off. Sometimes you just need a break from serious.

Edited by Skip

Thanks a bunch, Steve!

...Apparently my mistake was assuming that most car modelers shared the same passion for realism as the military modelers, which, to my way of thinking, would preclude building anything cartoonish...

Well and good, Monty, as long as you accept that the perspective can be vastly different to other ways of thinking. While that "passion for realism" may be a precluding factor for some, I submit to you that it is in fact that very same factor making these car-toons a fun diversion for others. Do I need to name the national champion car modeler who vents by refinishing Hot Wheels cars? Look at one of that guy's 1/12 TamiyaCon-winning models and challenge him on his passion for realism. And if that were a "failing" unique to car modelers, where would the market have been for this -

flap_jack.jpg

and where would the market be for these:

580home-title-blue.jpg

Maybe there are some folks who thrive on chasing down the exact ejection seat design or prop blade shape or firing order reference, and that's cool, nothing wrong with it. But the pursuit of those details can drive other modelers a little batty, enough to want to change gears and take a break with an odd project that won't worry them so much about all the minutiae, before delving back into the museum piece. I acknowledge your strategic dismissal of one of the most logical answers as "trite", but there's a REASON you hear that so much.

And the one pillar in your premise that not only is easily refuted, but in fact may offend some serious modelers, and lend you an air of staring down your nose that you may not really mean at all, is that nobody with a passion for realism would countenance building one of these.

Chuck K brought up a few examples of what you might call 'cartoonish' military kits (not that I understand why some car modelers keep comparing us to military modelers... why don't ship or aircraft guys ever get dragged into the conversation?), and I've seen a few examples of military guys having a bit of fun at the shows I've attended. At one event, I saw a very nice diorama of the Red Baron being persued... by Snoopy. And I remember a very amusing 'Maus Trap' diorama from an issue of FSM a few years back. So there are a few military modelers out there who just like to let their hair down every so often.

Now, are there more modelers in the military segment who take realism more seriously. I'd think so, but consider... they're building machines of war. War is not a fun subject, so there isn't as much room for 'fun stuff' if you are working in that medium. And there are only so many ways to build an M-1 Abrams, but a nearly endless number of ways to interpret, say, a '63 Galaxie.

Imagination! Doing a cartoon or car-toon or a custom means using your imagination. Building an exact scale model or painting a portrait means slogging through until all the details are correct and calling it done (and then having some critic come along and say you missed a rivet or there is something wrong with the nose!). I am not saying that people that do 'exact' replicas don't have imagination just that it doesn't take any, just skill. What I call being a good mechanic when it comes to art.

People should build what/how they enjoy, differences are what makes this an interesting life.

As someone once asked me about a model car I built, "Why would you spend so much time putting all of those little details, getting the paint just so, and all that other stuff? It's just a little plastic car!" So I guess the question could be asked of you by someone who likes Zingers!, Tom Daniel, and Snap Draggins, "Why do you like to go so far with replica stock? Lighten up and just build them out of the box." I guess if we all liked the same thing the model companies would have an easier time making money,

Do you actually take pride in having built any of these?

This is the most arrogant statement I've read on this forum since I've joined. I find nothing worse in this hobby than people who have to slam others on their choice of builds. I'm sure this forum would be real fun to visit if everyone built the same thing. There are plenty of "real" builds on her I find ridiculous, stupid or just plain ugly, I do however, have an open mind and realize not everyone has the same taste as I do and keep my thoughts to myself so I don't offend others because their taste in building is different than mine.

I bet building this cartoon sprintcar from scratch took just as much work and skill, if not more, than detailing a "real" car.

Am I proud of it? YES I AM.

PC220083.jpg

PC220094.jpg

PC220096.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Between a stock Revell 57 chevy buildup or a Zinger 57 chevy build up.....while sitting on your desk at work, which one ya think is gonna get more attention as folks walk by? :o:blink::rolleyes::D

That depends where you work.

As a funeral director, I work with a lot of detail-oriented people who would be more drawn to a highly detailed replica than a cartoony looking toy.

I have an appreciation for both styles, but, as it's been said, preference depends on the builder and the audience.

David G.

randy-zzz28-1.jpg

COMICAD%20mpc%20zinger%20models.jpg

First, let me say that this is not an attack on anyone personally, but a few recent threads about these kits brought the question to mind. I've just never understood why a serious modeler would want to buy and build what amounts to a plastic cartoon. Ever since I took up the hobby as a kid, my goal was to try to create accurate replicas of the 1:1 cars and trucks that impressed me. I was fortunate that my older brother and his friends had a variety of performance cars, which I got to see up close and occasionally ride in. None of these were stock by any means, but the overriding theme seemed to be "fast but tasteful".

When I see these cheesy caricatures (Zingers, Deal'sWheels, Snap Draggins etc) it makes me wonder what kits might've been put on the back burner in order to get these things out on the market. Do you actually take pride in having built any of these?

So, again, why do some of you guys like these things? (Try to come up with something less trite than "slump buster").

Hey Monte,

These are your words...

"Do you actually take pride in having built any of these?"

Are you kidding me?

DSCN2525Z.jpg

DSCN3279W.jpg

DSCN1957SA.jpg

Monte, why would someone do something if they didn't take pride in what they were doing?

Maybe you need to lighten up a little, there is more than one way to build a model.

Remember we are here to have some FUN!!! You might try it...

It's still not too late to enter the CAR-TOONS CONTEST!

Here is the link!

http://coffincorner....ad=16869&page=1

:D

Edited by Ira

This is the most arrogant statement I've read on this forum since I've joined. I find nothing worse in this hobby than people who have to slam others on their choice of builds. I'm sure this forum would be real fun to visit if everyone built the same thing. There are plenty of "real" builds on her I find ridiculous, stupid or just plain ugly, I do however, have an open mind and realize not everyone has the same taste as I do and keep my thoughts to myself so I don't offend others because their taste in building is different than mine.

I bet building this cartoon sprintcar from scratch took just as much work and skill, if not more, than detailing a "real" car.

Am I proud of it? YES I AM. I'm a scratch builder of sprint cars and midget 1/8 scale models and I love this sprinter you've done. Shows real talent and imagination. I doubt I would ever build any of the other cars shown here, it's just not for me, but this one does it for me!

PC220083.jpg

PC220094.jpg

PC220096.jpg

I don't build them but I love looking at them. Look at the great paint and the detail on some of them. I like seeing any models that are well built. Look what Ira does with these types of kits, beautiful work. I wish I could do as well. Also if there were/are popular it give/gave model companies more cash flow to help finance the more detailed and realistic kits as well as possibly drawing in buyers who otherwise may not have gotten into the hobby. Just my opinion.