Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

The metal Packard kit is really nice, if I remember it correctly. There was a series of them, the Packard, a Jaguar XK-120, 57 T-bird and an MG, again if memory serves.

Monogram did two series of metal-bodied.plastic everything else 1/24 scale model car kits in 1978-79: The first series of three kits was the 1948 MG TC sports car, a 1956 Thunderbird, and a 1953 Corvette. The second series included the Packard dual cowl Phaeton, a Duesenberg boattailed convertible coupe, and a 1948 Jaguar XK-120 roadster.

All but the Duesenberg and Packard kits in these series was reissued in later years as full plastic kits, the complete first set of three by Monogram in 1984, and the Jaguar XK-120 by Revell of Germany with the body, hood, and fender unit molded in styrene (also packaged by I believe, Doyusha in Japan) in the early 1990's.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Yesterday I got my Rommel's Rod in the mail. I've had some doubts about buying this kit over years. But now that I have one, I'm really glad I do. It's a much better kit than I expected. Looking forward to its build.

Scott

Those old Tom Daniel kits are a lot of fun and really take you back to your youth! Back in the day I had the Tijuana Taxi, Garbage Truck, Pie Wagon and T'rantula. There were always Monogram ads for these in comic books, so I wanted the S'cool Bus, and Rommels Rod. I never found them back then. But I have managed to collect the whole set... you can thank me for the recent retooling of the Tijuana Taxi and Rommels Rod. I spent years piecing together originals. Right when I finished, bam! New kits coming out!

Not a problem though, I'm glad to see them out again. Note that there are differences between the originals and the new versions. These are completely new toolings since the old tools no longer existed. They changed up some things, like items that were seperate are now molded in but they're still cool.

One of the highlights of my modeling is that I got to meet Tom Daniel. He was at GSL one year, and I got to tell him how much I appreciated his work over beers. Now if the 11 year old kid back then knew I'd meet him someday, I would've freaked!

I agree 100% Tom, Tom Daniel kits are still some of the best and most satisfying to buy, own and build. In recent years I've built the Street Fighter (my favorite of Daniel's designs), the Red Baron, and the Beer Wagon (look for my Mountain Dew Wagon in light trucks under glass). Back in the day, I remember really liking the Mean Maverick and the Poison Pinto, amongst others. In the wings, besides Rommel's Rod, I'm working on S'cool Bus, and have a Pie Wagon for farther down the road. Rommel's Rod just took me a little by surprise. I didn't expect it to be as nice as it is.

My only complaint about Rommel's Rod, from what I can see so far. Is the fact the half track treads and the boggy wheels are molded as one piece. Which is going to make them hard to paint. Everything else looks great, so far.

Scott

I agree 100% Tom, Tom Daniel kits are still some of the best and most satisfying to buy, own and build.

And the beauty of those kits back then was that they were easy to build and looked great once done. An 11 year old could spend a few evenings painting parts and assembling them and get nice results. I remember my satisfaction upon finishing the Pie Wagon. I didn't paint the body, but detail painted everything else. I did paint the T'rantula, but we only had Christmas green spray paint so I used it. It still looked cool in a darker green, and the funny part is that I always picture that kit that way! But they are great memories and that's the attraction today!

WOW what a deal, went to my local hobby shop today, where I've been a customer for several years. The owner said he had something for me and took me to the back, where he started to explain that an older gentleman was headed to Goodwill with these kits and decided he wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them and stoped at the shop. The hobby shop owner said he knew someone that would enjoy them and they struck a deal, $15.00 for all ! The hobby shop owner offered them to me for $15.00 also, I gave him $20.00 told him to keep it, which he did. The Gene Snow funnycar is complete unbuilt as is the Trojan horse Mustang and the Revell 56 Pick up. The Copperhead dragster is started but appears complete as does the MPC Petty Pylmouth and the Palmer Chapparal . Once in a life thimble deal Thank You Jesus!

post-7796-0-53929700-1406393083_thumb.jp

post-7796-0-25815000-1406393096_thumb.jp

One of my little contract photo jobs paid me a bit extra than I had planned on, so I bought myself an early birthday present.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321469127232

Does anyone have an AMT 1962 Buick Electra they don't plan to use the engine in? The engines are the same ones from what I can tell.

Charlie Larkin

NICE....! I have a pair or those cars both missing hoods.

WOW what a deal, went to my local hobby shop today, where I've been a customer for several years. The owner said he had something for me and took me to the back, where he started to explain that an older gentleman was headed to Goodwill with these kits and decided he wanted them to go to someone that would appreciate them and stoped at the shop. The hobby shop owner said he knew someone that would enjoy them and they struck a deal, $15.00 for all ! The hobby shop owner offered them to me for $15.00 also, I gave him $20.00 told him to keep it, which he did. The Gene Snow funnycar is complete unbuilt as is the Trojan horse Mustang and the Revell 56 Pick up. The Copperhead dragster is started but appears complete as does the MPC Petty Pylmouth and the Palmer Chapparal . Once in a life thimble deal Thank You Jesus!

Great score Roger. I enjoy hearing about guys getting great deals...

Very very interesting. Who produced these I can't entirely make out the company on the tag.

Looks like "rm craft". Slot car body kit?

Unknown where it was made. Coming from JP.

German co does resin version, 32 grams, seems basic. This thing has fans/drives, looks thin.

I've looked for many years. Had RnD ages ago, but I'd never heard of rm_craft. looks like one of the nice styrene slot bodies you see occasionally.

Here's what I saw a couple weeks ago B). Runs well, was at Goodwood in '12

post-376-0-74736800-1406514794_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-64459200-1406514808_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-17426300-1406514816_thumb.jpg

I would if I didn't just drop $4500 on a drag car, I'd love to buy this car as it's perfect, the interior was immaculate, the paint isn't show quality but it's good, the thing runs pretty bad (it's been sitting with ethanol in it for about a year and a half) but it's a good car.

Edited by Dragfreak

What did I get today? I don't even know yet. I haven't had time to go through it! I'm guessing somewhere around 100 kits, mainly Fords. Parts and pieces galore. Half built cars. Tons of styrene, glue, cutting mat, tools like crazy. A brand new lathe. And a rockin paint booth!

Oh, and a 1:1 flat tire...

post-10139-0-46300200-1406522910_thumb.j

post-10139-0-06952700-1406523032_thumb.j

post-10139-0-02492700-1406523053_thumb.j

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...