Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

That's all cool and everything, but why is everyone so hot on one of the ugliest camaros ever?  74-77 are hideous with the after thought bumpers...

I have no doubt it's rare (I mean who would have wanted it?) 

For historical purposes etc I understand it, but definitely not for style points.

What's the big secret?

12 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

That's all cool and everything, but why is everyone so hot on one of the ugliest camaros ever?  74-77 are hideous with the after thought bumpers...

For historical purposes etc I understand it, but definitely not for style points.

What's the big secret?

All of those MPC Camaros were annual kits, so unless Round2 would go about recreating one of them the tooling is parked as a 1981 model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

All of those MPC Camaros were annual kits, so unless Round2 would go about recreating one of them the tooling is parked as a 1981 model.

Makes sense... I own a 1980 1:1... those bumper cars just look bad to me for some reason..

I think it's the nice round body lines and then the square/angular bumpers that look like they were just slapped on.

6 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Makes sense... I own a 1980 1:1... those bumper cars just look bad to me for some reason..

I think it's the nice round body lines and then the square/angular bumpers that look like they were just slapped on.

You can thank the government for that, when they mandated the 5mph bumpers.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

My vintage Monogram Off Road Adventure kit arrived today. Everything is there but missed one helmet. I'll say it again.  They need to re-release these bike and trailer.  The kit with the van was cool too.

20221208_172421.thumb.jpg.5205cb38c52cd3d0d9604e3c468d65a8.jpg20221208_171912.thumb.jpg.2e4f9b4eaba9a89f7870c163dc7155f1.jpg

Nice.

This. Basically new in box. 1983 issue. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm strangely drawn to these old bike kits. Unfortunately this one smells like the bottom of an ashtray. The cardboard and paper soaked up the odor badly. The plastics - not too bad. I set it out in the weak sun that we had today and it seemed to help. Wiped off the box with a towel dampened with Windex and that helped a bit too. I burned the box it came in. Any other suggestions for odor removal?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, redscampi said:

This. Basically new in box. 1983 issue. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm strangely drawn to these old bike kits. Unfortunately this one smells like the bottom of an ashtray. The cardboard and paper soaked up the odor badly. The plastics - not too bad. I set it out in the weak sun that we had today and it seemed to help. Wiped off the box with a towel dampened with Windex and that helped a bit too. I burned the box it came in. Any other suggestions for odor removal?

s-l1600.jpg

put the contents in a tote and chuck out the box, the smell will never go, or if you want to keep the box you could start smoking i guess cos you'll soon lose your sense of smell

• Haha 1

Bought these on ebay the other week. I've been away from the scene for a while so I got these to get started again, and they were cheap! I plan to use the Corvette wire wheels on the Camaro and make a stock version, or as close to one.

DSC03281.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

On 12/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, LL3 Model Worx said:

What's the big secret?

I guess I can understand your disgust with the appearance of the bumpers on the Camero, but you should remember the constraints put on all manufactures at the time. The Feds. where requiring 5 and 10 mph impact bumpers on all passenger cars at the time. The designers were charged with hiding these "Cow Catcher" bumpers, for lack of a better term, and still make the car look good. The reality was that the 1:1 Camaro was still a great seller for Chevrolet dealers and turned a profit for GM. Almost across the board vehicles from this era all looked like they had a tremendous under bite and had a full seat of their pants from the rear. Not everyone will agree but considering the requirements of the manufacturers at the time I think they did as well as could be expected with what they were given to work with. 

• Like 1

What did I get model related? I'm so glad you asked! In the beginning of November, I attended SEMA and learned from the Motor Trend booth that they would now be making all issues of Hot Rod Magazine from 1948 to 2021 available online for free. Having recently come back to building scale model cars, and never really being a "hot rod" aficionado, I started with issue number 1 in 1948 and went right down the rabbit-hole! I am now up to July 1983, and have been posting the cool stuff I've been finding and learning at 

Others have been joining in, so it's turning into a Hot Rod Magazine party! Which brings me to what I've been buying; since November 9th, I have bought 15 models directly as a result of various articles in this magazine. And now I just have to share... :)