Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

This one is Hot out of the mail box. Finally scored one and didn't have to bend over to pay for it 🤔 or as John from above said it in a nicer way 😉

I also picked up a Lucky Stiff Funeral Tee-shirt.. 💀

20240330_152704(1).jpg

I bought 2 of these when they first came out in????....'99 I think...🤔🥸🧐

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Dang! Did you grab those locally? Nice haul!

I have an acquaintance that I like to call the Hoarder, I did a commission build for him before Christmas and he likes to trade, so I went through my stash for some stuff he likes and I won’t build lol, the SS was partial payment for the commission work. 
Now I just need a pile of GMC grilles.

picked up one of these resin sand rail 2-seater dune buggy's on eBay. supposed to be here on Thursday. Already got some nicer bucket seats and steering wheel. some extra lights and goodies.

image.png.f232d9509998783e37f8b3345925d584.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike C. said:

picked up one of these resin sand rail 2-seater dune buggy's on eBay. supposed to be here on Thursday. Already got some nicer bucket seats and steering wheel. some extra lights and goodies.

That would be cool to drop a v8 into. Nice find!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, deuces wild said:

Get your money back.....

I agree. That's not cool at all. Was the kit already opened (out of the vacuum seal)? Also is it only the body? If so you could probably (maybe) find another... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

16 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Get your money back.....

I agree. That's not cool at all. Was the kit already opened (out of the vacuum seal)? Also is it only the body? If so you could probably (maybe) find another... 

Well, I’m chocking it up to a lesson learned, I usually buy at a swap meet and if it’s an older kit, I’ll ask if I can open the box and take a look at everything. It’s not a total loss, however the suspension and engine and frame and interior are still good. Just the body was roasted. It is also too late,  I’ve already split the parts up, and they’re gonna be going into various Street rod projects. Thanks for the concern.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

Nobody remembers these things? When the model gets here Ill decide if I want my money back. Sorry I posted.

Buddy if your elated by your purchase that's all it counts. It actually caught my attention since I do not have a sand slinging model kit in my stash. I'm not particularly found of all the look alike dune buggy kits available. Keep it, built it then flaunt it! I'd love to see it!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 6:50 PM, Mike C. said:

thats a cool find, i'm surprised none of the model companies made one. what was the sellers name?

8 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Nobody remembers these things? When the model gets here Ill decide if I want my money back. Sorry I posted.

I've gone over the last few posts unless I missed something, I believe the comment of getting your money back was in response to the mangled Corvette kit, not the sand rail. 

Heck, I thought about one myself. Nice purchase!

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 7:58 PM, carnut said:

I bought a holy grail kit last week and it came in the mail today. Totally U.N.-usable 

IMG_9444.jpeg

IMG_9446.jpeg

I don’t know what happened to it but you deserve a refund…

• Like 1

I just snagged this off Feebay this morning. It was not cheap but not as bad as you'd think. I figured it was a much more interesting alternative to a couple of trips to Walmart or Ollie's for run of the mill kits. I had to have it. Needful Things, you know. I mean, when's the last time you've seen one for sale in this condition?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, redscampi said:

I just snagged this off Feebay this morning. It was not cheap but not as bad as you'd think. I figured it was a much more interesting alternative to a couple of trips to Walmart or Ollie's for run of the mill kits. I had to have it. Needful Things, you know. I mean, when's the last time you've seen one for sale in this condition?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

Nice buy! The decals l👀k good for a kit that came out around '77.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Nice buy! The decals l👀k good for a kit that came out around '77.

Thanks Mike. You're right, they do!  I've been on a vintage van kick lately. I've grabbed some old 70s Fords and a couple of Chevys but the Dodges seem to all be crazily priced glue bombs or partial kits. I was just casually poking around and stumbled upon this with a "reasonable" BIN. I just hit the button! I like that the previous owner retained the shrink wrap top to help protect the box.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, redscampi said:

Thanks Mike. You're right, they do!  I've been on a vintage van kick lately. I've grabbed some old 70s Fords and a couple of Chevys but the Dodges seem to all be crazily priced glue bombs or partial kits. I was just casually poking around and stumbled upon this with a "reasonable" BIN. I just hit the button! I like that the previous owner retained the shrink wrap top to help protect the box.

I have several of the 70's issued vans that I had built as a kid. Pretty much when the van craze was exploding. All the cool guys had one and dads were polishing their shotguns.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

I have several of the 70's issued vans that I had built as a kid. Pretty much when the van craze was exploding. All the cool guys had one and dads were polishing their shotguns.

lol! I was just telling my wife last night that we had just missed the van craze by a whisker. I’m almost 64. I was old enough to appreciate the concept but not to indulge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redscampi said:

lol! I was just telling my wife last night that we had just missed the van craze by a whisker. I’m almost 64. I was old enough to appreciate the concept but not to indulge.

I hounded my parents to allow me to buy a van when I was looking for my first vehicle but it fell on deaf ears. Being raised in a Christian setting and dad being a correction officer it was dead in the water before I ever launched the idea. I couldn't see it then but now much older and somewhat wiser I understand completely.. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2