Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

A new digital camera! My old one got ruined recently and I found a good deal on eBay. I hesitated and left it up on the screen over night and yesterday morning, eBay sent me a 10% off coupon. That was a sign, so I hit that "Buy It Now" button. And the really cool part? I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today! Talk about fast!

Niko, I've always wondered what the purpose of those national signs were. Did all European countries have the same license plate designs and needed the national signs to identify what country?

That's a good question. Honestly said, I don't know. I guess I'm too young since there were no national sings anymore when I was born. But it might be that some countries had pretty much same looking plates, so that might be one possibility. I'll try to find an answer for this question.

What is that? never seen one of those. Looks like a ISDT bike. Is Tuntari a Finnish brand?

Tunturi is a Finnish moped manufacturer. It started in the late '50s and closed its doors in the '90s. Many of those Tunturis aren't very rare here in Finland, because lots of them were sold when they were new. But very few people use them as a daily driver as I do. Mine is 1980 Tunturi Trial, which is actually quite rare model. It was originally made for Trial Racing and I can say that it runs well in the forest as well.

Niko, I've always wondered what the purpose of those national signs were. Did all European countries have the same license plate designs and needed the national signs to identify what country?

Those ovals were in use back when I lived in Germany 1969-73. I remember the older style ones that were metal and clamped to a VW bumper. They included one in the Revell Beetle kit I just bought. Later on many of them were vinyl stickers. We had US military license plates, which were US sized plates that were green with silver lettering. And we had a USA sticker on the back of the car as well. Later on, those plates were made plainer, white with black letters like most Euro plates of that era to stand out less once Americans became terror targets. The political climate got bad when we were there. Remember the 1972 Olympic terrorists. And there was a terrorist group that was doing bombings on American bases while we were still there.

I do believe they were used because as said above, most Euro plates were white with black letters, and none of them had country designations on them.

german16-vi.jpg

Here's a pair of American military personnel owned Opels. Note the USA oval on the back. Maybe you can make out the plates. They said USA on the top and were green with silver lettering. I'm sure I still have a pair buried here somewhere! And yes, the white lettering on the windshield... we used to have drag races on the Post airstrip!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Interesting info, Tom. Thanks! That sounds logical, since it is true that many of the European countries had pretty much the same looking register plates.

Gregg, that Montessa Cota is actually having a bit of the same look as my Trial does. Pretty cool looking Bike! B)

Today the Mail brought me a '60 Plymouth Fury resin kit that is made by a friend of mine. The casting looks really good and I can't wait to build mine as a Mild Custom.

DSCN9656-vi.jpg

DSCN9658-vi.jpg

All Pics Here (Also from his earlier casting, '61 Dodge Phoenix).

I got a new digital camera! My old camera died an unfortunate accidental death last weekend. According to my daughter who found it in the snow, I may have also run it over! :(

Anyways.. it was an old Canon Powershot A540, which was a 6 megapixel camera. I checked into them on eBay and found I could get a used one to replace it for $25 or so. Sending a camera like that in for repair is like bringing a gold fish to the vet. Ain't happening.

Then I saw I could get the new Powershot A2500, a 16 megapixel camera, for $79 with free shipping. I left it on the screen overnight to think about it. Then in the morning, I saw eBay sent me an email with a 10% off coupon, bringing it down to $71. I could have bought the same camera for $10 cheaper from the same vendor, but for the extra $10, I got the accessory pack that includes a carrying case, a 16GB memory card, an extra battery, a table top tripod and a lens cleaning kit.

I ordered it around noon on Wednesday and the package showed up about 2pm yesterday! That's like 26hr service right to my door!

I like the new camera already. It's half the size of the old one and has cool features. For instance, I took test shots of models in low light, and it automatically brightened them up. It also senses what you are taking pictures of and automatically uses the macro lens. I can't tell you how many times I got halfway through a photo session (or model show) to realize I forgot to hit that button!

And the way my life goes... no sooner did I get the camera, then I see my ancient cell phone is in the process of dying. I have a big black blank spot on my screen that looks like a bullet hole. So I guess I'll be picking up a new phone this week too.

Edited by Tom Geiger

When it rains, it pours, Tom. In a span of a few days I got a new truck, an iphone, and a 1:1 baja bug. Life is sweet.

The photos of your bug looked pretty good, did you ever post what your plans are for it ? I had a 68 Cal Look several years ago and it was a fun little ride. I bought it for myself and when my wife saw it she got the cow eyes and said " That's a nice car, I really like it. " Anyone that's married know what that means. : )

Well I got this guy for $40 bucks at the going out of business sale at work.

I didn't see that on the shelf this morning. I was in there at 10:20 this morning getting some more Colors by Boyd true blue pearl paint. I ran out not even half way done with what needs to be painted on the 37 ford custom kit im working on now. Went in and bought the last 3 cans and 6 other cans of spray paint and 6 bottles of paint. I now have 61 unopened cans of spray paint!! lol Kinda sad but ill be so glad when that store shuts down, i wont have a reason to spend so much money!!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...