Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Ford Galaxie Kits

gtx6970

34 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Sorry, I don't currently have one, but IIRC the lever was curved slightly to clear the inside of the quarter panel and protruded between the muffler and the quarter panel. I don't remember a slot or indentation, there was enough room between the body and chassis to allow the lever to clear.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't really sure how that worked, but looking at the drawing in the lower right corner of the instruction sheet page, that looks correct.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Ah, thanks. I wasn't really sure how that worked, but looking at the drawing in the lower right corner of the instruction sheet page, that looks correct.

I had one of the convertibles in the 1970s. I have no idea what happened to it. 

• 9 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 6:07 PM, Casey said:

Found some close up images of the clear head and tail light pieces, courtesy of an older eBay listing:

5c523baf9b646_s-l1600(33).jpg.c6af5acfcf8c159a90d504f9c5727b41.jpg

5c523bb0653fb_s-l1600(34).jpg.8fabf66b4d3bfbd145ff178150d5288c.jpg5c523bb1311eb_s-l1600(38).jpg.c76c2b77f83d324929e7e8fa11f7049f.jpg

Maybe the "Plus" in this case is they re-tooled the operating head and tail light specific parts. 🙂

Edited by Casey

I am interested to see what changes (if any) will be made for this kit. I still have a couple of the Blueprinter editions in the stash and they have terrible sink marks where the body and interior mounting posts are.

My guess is the only thing new in this issue will be the box art and decals. AMT/Ertl redid the wheels and tires (not for the best), and added a pair of engraved emblems for the Pro Shop/Promo issue during the 1990s, so it will likely be running the same promo tires it had from those issues. I'd like to see the old wheels returned to the kit, as the engraving was vastly superior to the current ones. Either way, I want one. Or more. Curbside or not.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The combo kit is still out there, maybe not locally everywhere.  LHS in my area still has one, $13 over retail.  I had one dropped at my doorstep by an emissary of the United States government cheaper than that, even paying sales tax now.  I thought about getting two, but already have several of the Falcons and a couple of Galaxies.  The blue tint glass in the Falcon, and the new decal sheet, make it a must-have.  I never saw the drag team kits anywhere back in the day, so I'll want most of whichever ones are reissued.

This set brings me closer to having all of the AMT combo kits. The only other one that I need to find is the "Quartermaster's" kit which is made from the custom only version of the '68 Firebird and the Hull Raiser boat. Don't think we'll see that or the Chevelle Drag Team.

I really liked AMT's original concept for this series and would be interesting if Round2 could come up with a few new team/set ideas with existing tooling and vintage style box art.

They could reissue the Shelby Drag team if they'd open all the gates in the '68 Shelby for the drag parts. The '69 Galaxie has been reissued a few times so presumably that should be doable as a team kit. That was the first one from this series I bought 30 some years ago and still paid a pretty healthy sum for it.  I did buy a reissue Piranha Team just for the extra stuff plus my original box was not in the best shape.

Edited by Phirewriter