Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Dodge Demon re release

• 1 month later...

I'm just finished kitbashing an original Demon with AMT Duster chassis/engine, and must I say that's a very hard task, lot's of work here and there to make them fit, this to say I don't think Round2 will modify the original kit with the more recent Duster underside, that's way too complicated, and expensive.... ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

why can't Round2 modify the 75 Dart into a Demon?

The 1975-1976 Dart Sport has its origins based in the 1971 Demon 340 . That tooling is ancient , dating back to 1970 ! From the 1971 Duster 340 was born the mid-1971 Demon 340 ; followed by the 1972 Duster 340 ; the 1973 Duster 340 (first time for the Hemi to appear as an optional engine) ; 1974 Duster 360 ; 1975 Duster & Dart Sport 360 ; and finally , the 1976 Dart Sport .

I have the latest edition of the (restored) Dart Sport tooling , and am pleased with it overall . Any of its "faults" are with the MPC original (e.g. , manual transmission with automatic console and shifter) . I could definitely see the "core-shift" with the tooling ; the Hemi engine block halves didn't line-up ; the heads sat crooked on their decks ; and both of the intake manifolds didn't line-up .

Oh , well ! Great to see this kit have its stock parts restored . Great to have that kit again !

With the cost involved with backdating the 75 Dart it would be cheaper for an all new tool Demon

Absolutely ! There are lots of differences between the 1971 A-bodies and their successive 1975-1976 offerings ; I'll limit the list to scale model changes :

- Interior . The upholstery is completely different , as are the door panels . Instruments are 100% different (1971 Demon 340 has 'Rallye' Instruments) .

- Tail Light Panel .

- Front 'Clip' ( firewall-forward )

- Rallye Wheels' Centres ( 1970-1971 centres were 'cone-shaped' )

An all-new tooling 1971 Demon would be welcomed greatly !

I thought I read somewhere back then that they were doing to do a new Demon body and chrome tree for the newer tooling '71 Duster.  Maybe new seats but the ones in the kit may also be correct for a Demon, I think they are but I'm not sure.

I thought I read somewhere back then that they were doing to do a new Demon body and chrome tree for the newer tooling '71 Duster.  Maybe new seats but the ones in the kit may also be correct for a Demon, I think they are but I'm not sure.

IMO,,,,,

It would be considerably cheaper to do a Demon this way,,, than it would be to  back date the Dart sport kit to it

IMO,,,,,

It would be considerably cheaper to do a Demon this way,,, than it would be to  back date the Dart sport kit to it

depends on the percentage of all new parts they need too tool up and to figure out, on how to run the kit.

Like 1 tool containing all the specific Demon parts, but then a whole lot of unnecessary Duster parts need to be blocked off, from the Duster tooling in a way that it doesn't harm the flow of the plastic.

From a production standpoint, they're maybe better off, coping the needed Duster parts, so they can join the newly designed Demon ones, in an all new tool base, but then the kit is like all new, so will there still be return after this investment, which due to being incompatible, becomes a one trick pony.

Food for thought.....

Edited by Luc Janssens

Thing is.

Body , grille, fr bumper, hood,  front fender wheel openings, front valance, tail light openings, exhaust tips  - all obviously different. so that's a given. Otherwise its the same car.

I'm pretty sure ,,,,,,Outside of the door panels the interior is the same ( seat pattern included ) If so ,,that's easy

That was the plan all along.  When word got out that they were had a '71 Demon in the works it was assumed by many that they were just going to reissue the MPC kit, Round2 never mentioned an MPC '71 Demon reissue.    

Thing is.

Body , grille, fr bumper, hood,  front fender wheel openings, front valance, tail light openings, exhaust tips  - all obviously different. so that's a given. Otherwise its the same car.

I'm pretty sure ,,,,,,Outside of the door panels the interior is the same ( seat pattern included ) If so ,,that's easy

It would've been released by now, if it was that simple...

Body tool (core, top, rear, LH and RH, plus sliding feature)

Hood (1 core and cavity, and add 2 more core's and cavities, when the hood scoops are part of the deal)

Tail lamps (2 core and cavities)

Front bumper/grille (1 core and cavity)

Headlamps (2 core and cavities)

parking lights (2 core and cavities)

front valance (1 core and cavity)

Exhaust tips (2 core and cavities)

Interior side panels (2 core and cavities)

What kinda money are we talking about here, an optimistic 50K?, not counting tool re-arrangement for the Duster kit?

It would've been released by now, if it was that simple...

Body tool (core, top, rear, LH and RH, plus sliding feature)

Hood (1 core and cavity, and add 2 more core's and cavities, when the hood scoops are part of the deal)

Tail lamps (2 core and cavities)

Front bumper/grille (1 core and cavity)

Headlamps (2 core and cavities)

parking lights (2 core and cavities)

front valance (1 core and cavity)

Exhaust tips (2 core and cavities)

Interior side panels (2 core and cavities)

What kinda money are we talking about here, an optimistic 50K?, not counting tool re-arrangement for the Duster kit?

Oh I agree with you.

But were talking about the exact same body mods for the Dart Sport kit, and in addition none of the interior is the same , so that adds more expense.

In the end ( IMO ) its cheaper to redo the Duster , and in my gut would be better received by actual modelers.

OR,

Another good option. Tool it into a 1972 Duster. That one would be even less money/effort.

• 7 months later...

I realize that no one has posted on here in quite some time. My boyfriend recently purchased a '71 Demon and I'd really like to get him a model of this car for Christmas. Any ideas?  Thanks so much!

well, my only suggestion is to check ebay to see if one is up for bid presently...but I doubt it.  you could check with some of the kit dealer's that have been selling vintage model's for year's now, like Model King Dave at  1 732 240 3987..............that's a rare and very expensive piece you want, especially truly mint in box, and usually the used beater's sell for hefty money too...........you will find one online eventually, but if it's xmas you have in mind, may be a problem.....best I can offer, the Ace........^_^