Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who got introduced to modeling at home? What year? How old?

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yes

2) From whom? My older brother

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Cars

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? car salesman

5) How old were you? 6 or 7

6) About what year was your introduction? 1976-1977

1 home

2 my older brother

3 cars & pickups

4 student

5 6 years old

6 '72

I can still remember the first model that my brother gave to me. It was part of a deal to keep me from getting a hold of the rest of his. One day, while he was gone, my best friend and I got into his room and grabbed a few of his models and had a crash up derby with them. Needless to say, he was ready to kill both of us when he got home! So, the deal was struck. He would give me any model I wanted if I promised to never touch his again which I never did. I picked out a Revell '56 Chevy. It was so cool to me. Everything opened! It needed some work after the "derby" which he did for me. It was green and built in a gasser style with the raised suspension front and rear with no front bumper. It had the old slotted ET mags with big tires on the rear and smalls on the front. No chrome on the side of the body. The engine was a 409 with three deuces and fenderwell headers. I loved that model and I would play with it for hours on end. Someday, I want to build one just like it was and give it "back" to my brother.

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yep.

2) From whom? Dad (and Mom)

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Aircraft

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Built aircraft at Republic Aviation Corporation, after having worked at Grumman Aircraft Corporation and as an airedale in the USMC.

5) How old were you? Five.

6) About what year was your introduction? 1960

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?.....Yes

2) From whom?.....My dad

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?.....He built mostly airplanes and a few cars. I build mostly Muscle Cars & WWII airplanes.

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?.....Carpenter

5) How old were you?.....11-12

6) About what year was your introduction?.....1981-2

Edited by The70judgeman

At home,from Dad who was in the car biz as a body man,mechanic,service writer,and service manager(no,not at the same time).It was Christmas 1959,I was not quite five and a half years old.Odd thing was,I built the first kit(an AMT '60 Buick) but then Dad took over for a while because the next few kits were more complicated.Then I resumed building by myself in,I think,1961.Except for one plane and maybe one cruise liner(OK,I confess to having an unbuilt AMT dual cockpit speedboat and I figure the jet skis in the R/M pickup kits don't count),it's been only cars,motorcycles and trucks for me.

2) From whom? My Dad

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? My Dad built wooden models , stagecoaches and covered wagons , but I started with the Aurora Monster kits and the Wierdos kits and a few cars , probably 1/32nd scale .

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? USAF / NASA , stationed at Vandenberg AFB .

5) How old were you? 7 maybe 8 years old .

6) About what year was your introduction? 1962 - 63

1- Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yes

2- From whom? Dad

3-What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? wooden ships and paper/wood airplanes, Highway Pioneers when they first came out.

4- What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? engineer

5- How old were you? 6

6- About what year was your introduction? 1951

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?

Yes

2) From whom?

Father

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?

Ships

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?

Carpenter

5) How old were you?

6) About what year was your introduction?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) From whom? My Dad

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Mechanical Engineer

5) How old were you? 7

6) About what year was your introduction? 1965

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Not exactly. I happened upon a hobby shop in a local mall one rainy Saturday. Years before in the late '60's, someone bought a model kit for me as a Christmas present...............I never even touched it. ;)

2) From whom? The store owner...........He suggested some kits that I might be interested in.

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Cars!

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living? He was the hobby shop owner. I don't know if he's still in the biz today or not, as the store closed up shop years ago.

5) How old were you? 16 or 17.

6) About what year was your introduction? 1978 when I was a senior in high school.

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yes - well, I built them at home anyway. I discovered them, strangely enough, at a local record shop that was on my way home. The owner liked cars, and had a small selection of them for sale in the store.

2) From whom? Myself & friends

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Mainly cars/trucks

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Paper route & cutting grass at the time, I later became a carpenter

5) How old were you? about 12

6) About what year was your introduction? Around 1958

I always liked cars so I gravitated to kits in 1958 1959 with AMT kits for 98 cents. I bought a 58 Buick promo about this time also. When I was about 7 I could name any car I saw. year and make. I think my first was a Pontiac that I ended up with glue all over and hideous yellow brush painting on parts of it.

No one was there to guide me or show me so I had to learn on my own,,,I did find some kids in school that shared the interest.

I was about 13

A few simple questions, and the reason I'm curious is to look informally at possible links between the slow death of 'building-things' hobbies and the evolution / devolution of the family and other societal changes. I came across a web article on "Alpha Refined" (a website about "the lifestyles and interests of traditional men") that lists "building models" as one if the "10 Hobbies Every Man Should Try". It got me thinking, so...

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?

2) From whom?

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?

5) How old were you?

6) About what year was your introduction?

yes

My dad was handy with his hands,but,he did not biuld

I built any kit I could get my grubby hands on,cars,planes,tanks,ships,figures,etc...

My dad was an Engineer for the Florida East Coast Railroad.

I think I was about 7 or 8

It was about 1959 or so.

When you get to be as old as me,the brain cells are the second thing to go

I can't remember the first!!! :lol: :lol:

A few simple questions, and the reason I'm curious is to look informally at possible links between the slow death of 'building-things' hobbies and the evolution / devolution of the family and other societal changes. I came across a web article on "Alpha Refined" (a website about "the lifestyles and interests of traditional men") that lists "building models" as one if the "10 Hobbies Every Man Should Try". It got me thinking, so...

2) From whom? Dad

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Insurance Adjuster

5) How old were you? 8

6) About what year was your introduction? 1963

2) From whom? Dad (and Mom)

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Airplanes, my first ever build was a P 51 Mustang.

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Dad owned a print shop, Mom was an accountant.

5) How old were you? 7

6) About what year was your introduction? 1963 or '64

G

1) Yes.

2) My mom

3) Mostly cars, but planes and ships too. Can't remember for sure the very first one, but the early ones included the Mini Lindy Vega, boattail Riviera, and Gremlin, an AMT'64 Ford Modified Stocker, a Palmer '70 or '71 T-Bird, a some of the inexpensive Hawk kits like the Messerschmitt ME-163, ME-109, Chaparral 2, and LST.

4) Housewife and mother

5) Three or four. For sure I remember having the Mini Lindys and 64 Ford Mod Stocker at our first house, and we moved a few months after my fourth birthday.

6) 1972 or '73

Edited by Don Sikora II

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Las Vegas, NV Nellis AFB base housing.

2) From whom? Well, as I recall there was an unbuilt model car in a desk? or some other drawer in our home. I was very curious and found a tube of cement (don't know what kind, but I don't think it was model glue) and attempted to glue the car together. It was a multi-piece body and I pretty much made a mess of it. Don't remember who made it or what kind of car it was but the color was a dark red. When my father discovered my work, he was very upset and used colorful words to demonstrate his anger. After he calmed down, my mother talked him into buying a model for me to build. I don't remember the model itself, but it was made by Hawk and looked like a red Italian open wheel race car. I've never seen another kit that jogs my memory. (update) I decided to look on the Internet and see if I could jog my memory after writing this. It looks like the Lancia Ferrari with a picture of a built model might be my first kit.

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Yes, I built anything I could talk my mom into buying. My dad was Air Force and was rarely around.

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? My dad was an aircraft mechanic on bombers (B-47), tankers (KC-135), business jets (T-39) and fighter planes (F-100, F-111 and F-16). I would later follow his footsteps and work on the same exact tankers at the base where I was conceived.

5) How old were you? 5 yrs

6) About what year was your introduction? 1970

Edited by THarrison351

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? No

2) From whom? A friend

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Full-time kid... :D

6) About what year was your introduction? 1964-65

Another avatar? LOL!

Dad (cable tv installer) had been a rabid model railroader and modeler since he was a teenager so I come by it honestly. Could be the small three level model car shelf on the wall over my crib 'imprinted' on me somehow, as I'm told I would stand up trying to reach those cars :wacko: My first modelling attempts at about six or seven were in the late sixties.

mike

Edited by mk11

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? yes

2) From whom? my brother

3) What kind of models (cars, planes then) Now cars and pickups

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ..Truck driver and weekend drag racer

6) About what year was your introduction? 1971 or 72

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? At my grandparent's home

2) From whom? Grandfather

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Cars, then model navy ships. Grandfather was a proud navy veteran.

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Briggs & Stratton machinist.

5) How old were you? 8 or 9

6) About what year was your introduction? 1962. It was a 61 Mercury.

2) From whom? Older brothers

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Students

5) How old were you? 8-10

6) About what year was your introduction? Late 50's

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?(Yes)

2) From whom?(My dad)

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?(cars,pickups,semi trucks)

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?(My dad was a Appliance and electronic service man)

5) How old were you?(around 6 or 7 years old)

6) About what year was your introduction?(somewhere around 1971 to 73)

1) Yes.

2) My father

3) He built planes (static and flying) and kites, but from early on I was fascinated with trains and cars

4) Construction engineer

5) 6 or 7

6) mid '50s