Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Customer Service

I'he always had great service from Revell's service department until the latest part, I requested a replacement mirror for the'62 Corvette, the part(#100) was in two parts on the the tree. I was told that it was a discontinued kit even though it still shows up on their list of current kits, & the '62 Corvette Gasser shares the same part & number. Strange Days indeed.

Running Production Change perhaps ? Maybe they're fixing the tooling or packaging process ; this would understandibly take some time to get up & running .

I'm not saying this to dimish your anger and anxiety . It's an expensive kit to be certain ! I'm just introducing a hypothetical scenario .

Nope, he said the whole reason the UPC and proof of purchase thing happened was the amount of people calling in requesting bodies for this kit. What is sad is the fact that i was so excited about this kit that right after i ordered the new body i bought another kit so i could start to build it right away.......well guess what!! The 2nd kit was missing a tire, both front spindles and the rear glass was broken. All that stuff was ordered over a month AFTER the body was and it all showed on Feb 26. That was the reason for my call to find out where the body was at, that was when i was told i needed the UPC BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.....

I had to wait almost a year before the body of the 65 chevy I received as a gift was back in production but they did replace the body which was incompletely molded...about a one inch gap of missing plastic in front of the drivers door.

In the box was a notice that I would need a UPC code for any further parts.

This is the first time I have had to request replacement parts.

Just picked up another Slingster today, always open every kit to do a visual inventory, found part no. 43 Front Axle detached at one end and bent at a 45 degree angle. The chrome on the bent axle is nice, except that real leaf springs don't bend at a forty-five. Too bad otherwise it could be used as a wrecked race car diorama.

The website didn't ask for the UPC or proof of purchase, added them in on the comment line. Got a confirmation email after I ordered the part just like the only other time I had to get a replacement part, glass for a New Beetle, got that one in 3-4 weeks.

Hi folks,I just wanted to put in my take.I bought a Revell F-18 Fighter.It did not have the instructions or decals.

I went to the revell parts order, put in the kit and things needed.I got an e-mail that the order was created on 3/12.

Today,I got an e-mail that my things were shipped and would be here in a weekm or so.GUESS WHAT!!!!

Today I got an envelope with the instructions and the decal sheet!!!!!

KUDOS TO REVELL on this one.

If it had not been tossed 3 months ago when i was told by Revell Customer Service that a new one would be here in 4-6 weeks that might be an option. It also had bent and cracked the passanger side windshield post to the point it would have been hard to fix it and the repair be unnoticeable. Not something i cared to do with a new kit that was only on the market for 3-4 days when all this happened.

Edited by jrherald420

I was just about to finalize my 58 Impala, when I noticed a short shot on the front bumper/grille. Went to Revell website, filled out the online form on tues. 3/18 and received my replacement part in the mail on 3/24. Way to go Revell Cust. Svc.

• 1 month later...

Got the Slingster Front Axle the other day, it took a little over two weeks from the time of request to the replacement arriving I'm my mail box. That's customer service as it should be, both in speedy replacement and for standing behind their product. Thank you Revell!!!

• 4 weeks later...

My Revell customer service experience is not going very well. I sent my required paperwork in on 2/19/14, as requested because they needed the bar code from the kit. I sent in all that was requested and even a picture of the warped part. I received my package on Friday 5/16/14. The package looked to small to me...upon opening it was the wrong part. I sent in the number from the instruction sheet and a picture and they sent me the cab instead of the 'body' (which are actually the fenders) for the 1950 Ford pickup. I have sent an email on Friday and have not heard back yet. So at this point it is not going well.

Just posted the replacement body i got after 6 months of waiting in the what did you get today thread. total junk

Also got my replacement body for the 1/12 scale Foose Camaro i ordered almost 6 months ago......what a mess.....it took talking to Ed Sexton to get this straitened out. This is the quality i got in the mail from them.....

14038553108_f86280f8d7_h.jpg20140519_161731 by jrherald420, on Flickr

14222872092_3a58d1e979_h.jpg20140519_161711 by jrherald420, on Flickr

14245385873_49584fd957_h.jpg20140519_161655 by jrherald420, on Flickr

14038553498_d029b3de63_h.jpg20140519_161632 by jrherald420, on Flickr

14245093383_a8b9a47562_h.jpg20140519_160657 by jrherald420, on Flickr

And what the grill area should look like.

14224989974_9baaff5d6f_h.jpg20140519_161904 by jrherald420, on Flickr

Edited by jrherald420

I am hearing a lot of people having very bad luck with Revell's CS as of late, pretty sad.

Revell seems to be cracking down on people using the parts replacement as a free parts department, and by doing so are screwing over customers that really need replacement parts.

Seems like it's Hobbico?

Hasegawa uses Hobbico for customer service. Hobbico owns RM, yes?

I've been trying to get clear sprue for Hasegawa SR-71 that was a short shot on all 3 canopy parts. Given as a gift to me by wife to build during chemo in Feb. No parts despite pics of short shot, and lame responses. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kit wasn't cheap, if it was, or buildable, I'd give it away. I sent pic on first contact, and they wanted proof of purchase. No parts yet.

Revell seems to be cracking down on people using the parts replacement as a free parts department, and by doing so are screwing over customers that really need replacement parts.

Can you blame them? Someone in this thread said it would be a fun job to be the parts guy at Revell. I think it would be pretty frustrating once you realized how many people are scamming them!

I remember back when the '66 Chevelle wagon came out, with the custom hood. Revell got an abundance of requests for 'missing' hoods for their '66 El Camino, which happened to be the stock hood for the wagon... hmmm. And when they get a request for 'missing' tires, white wall inserts, wheels and wheel backs that come from four different sources... hmmm.

And how long should Revell have to warranty their kits? Guys write in for parts for 10 year old kits. Clue- if you bought an unsealed kit for $5 or $10 at a show or on eBay, Revell shouldn't be responsible to make your kit whole!

And what is the cost of providing customer service? The cost of the actual small piece of plastic doesn't even weigh in. First the cost of postage can be a few dollars. I found that out helping folks on the board, where I've paid over $2 to mail someone a part. Then add in the cost of the desk, phone and computer... never mind the cost of maintaining a knowledgable employee to fish through the kits and send you the right part. I'll venture that each request costs them $10-20 by the time they're through.

I haven't requested any parts in my adult life. Back when I was a kid in the early 1970s I had a Revell '57 Nomad that was missing a back bumper and an MPC Li'l Stogie that had bad exhaust headers. I know I wrote letters, and I think I may have even sent them the exhaust parts. Both companies responded by sending me a complete new kit. When you think about it, it was probably cheaper to do so than to maintain a huge trove of parts kits and the staff that would know enough to sort through it. Even if it's cheaper, I doubt Revell could do that today. Once it was out on the Internet that you could get complete kits, they'd be swamped.

Can you blame them?

Dont think I was, maybe Revell should do what several other model company's do and charge, or be able to take payment for parts, Moebius does that, all the Japanese companys do, and that will cut done on the abuse of the replacement parts service, do I agree with having to pay for replacement parts?, of course not, but its better and cheaper then having to buy a new kit. But screwing over customers that legitimately need replacement parts is not great customer service either.

And of course, "free replacement parts" should only be limited to current in production kits.

Dont think I was, maybe Revell should do what several other model company's do and charge, or be able to take payment for parts, Moebius does that, all the Japanese companys do, and that will cut done on the abuse of the replacement parts service, do I agree with having to pay for replacement parts?,

I wasn't poking at your cage, just answering the question in general and your post was the last one that stated the question... and the answer to your question here was in my post.... what could they charge? The majority of the guys here agreed that they wanted to pay for their part, but just how much?

As I said in my last post... "And what is the cost of providing customer service? The cost of the actual small piece of plastic doesn't even weigh in. First the cost of postage can be a few dollars. I found that out helping folks on the board, where I've paid over $2 to mail someone a part. Then add in the cost of the desk, phone and computer... never mind the cost of maintaining a knowledgable employee to fish through the kits and send you the right part. I'll venture that each request costs them $10-20 by the time they're through. "

And that's why when you go to the car dealer because you broke some small plastic clip and they want $15 for it. Yea, the clip is worth about a dollar, but there's $14 worth of handling to get it from the factory, packaged, and through distribution to get it to you!

So yes, some model companies sell parts. I can't comment on the cost since I haven't seen it. Are they selling at a profit, breaking even or doing it at a loss for customer service? They'll tick off a bunch of guys who think it should be free. Then if they're doing it at a loss, a lot of guys will see it as their right to order up a whole mess of stuff. So in the end will it be cheaper just to give away parts to those deserving?

I had to send a bar code in for my last part and took 4 weeks total I don't mind. I was happy paying the standard fee before they made it free. it does cost about 2.25 to mail a part like Tom said, but I keep stamps and bubble mailers to mail from the box to keep from going to the post office. I am glad to help someone parts when I can. It is a matter of time before Revell has to charge something for parts again...

it does cost about 2.25 to mail a part like Tom said, but I keep stamps and bubble mailers to mail from the box to keep from going to the post office. I am glad to help someone parts when I can

Correct. And I'll do it each and every time I can. It's community. And nothing makes me happier than seeing a part I supplied get someone's build finished!

I purchased the new 49 Mercury Wagon , poor chrome on rims , went to Revell site , filled in every detail requested . Got a reply saying it had gone through , next day another email from Revell saying order cancelled because not enough information, but I had filled in every detail . I guess Revell do not post to Australia . I used some rims from my parts box so no big deal .