Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Woke up at 4:00 this AM with the full-blown flu. Had been feeling unusually tired for a couple days, started getting a headache, body aches and a cough early yesterday afternoon, but worked through the end of the day. Just feel too horrible to work at all now. Think I'll go back to bed and try to sleep. :mellow:

I keep a Garmin GPS in the glove box of each car. I got them on sale for $100 each at Walmart a few years ago. Last summer we are in my wife's car, headed for a park that she said she knew where it was. Well, she didn't and soon enough we are lost on back roads through the woods. I reach for the glove box, and no GPS there! I ask and she tells me she keeps it in a kitchen drawer so it won't get stolen, and only brings it when she needs it. Well, we are lost now and need it... and I'm not overly worried that someone is going to steal a $100 4 year old GPS!

I do the same thing. I too always carry a Garmin in my glove box. Interestingly, a couple of months ago I forgot to shut my garage door one night. I never lock my car when it's in the garage. Well, somebody decided to go through my car looking for valuables. Everything was out of the glove box and on the passenger floor. I thought for sure my cell phone and Garmin would be gone. Apparently neither has any value, for they were both left behind. In fact I must of had nothing of value in my car. Nothing was missing. Just a mess of my stuff on the passenger seat and floor. So you can tell your wife to stop worrying about that one Tom.

Scott

:lol:

Me too

A firm believer in MAP

The real irony is that I printed a Google map, then unthinkingly, loaded it into my trunk with some kits I was taking to trade. :( This, combined with the fact that I ended up on the wrong road, but with a very similar name, just added to the frustration and confusion. By the time I figured out what was what, it was time to just give up and drive back home.

We just got in two brand-spanking new forklifts yesterday and already, one of them is broken. The shop had to take the auxiliary pumps out and completely tear them down just to find a 25 cent o-ring wasn't installed right at the factory. You'd think that some people would take pride in their work. I mean, it's not like you're flipping burgers at Mc. Donalds! These lifts take about a month to build because they're custom built to our requirements. I'm beginning to think that I don't ever have a good day, anymore.

Well, not really irksome, but mentionable.

I was cleaning my room, ano I thought my stereo sounded kinda off. I checked all the connections in the back. Still funky. Turned the equalizer off. Nope, not that!

Pulled out the right speaker wire after I figured out that was the problem one. Put them back in, and... Nothing.

It was then I remembered how sometimes the amp gets "cold." When it hasn't been used for a while, one channel doesn't work so well unless you bias it to one side and CRANK it way up, then back down again very quickly. So I went for the balance knob, and....

It was on "L." :rolleyes::lol:

It was on "L." :rolleyes: :lol:

Local DJ on the radio told a story about his lack of car sense... His car had no power, no pickup. He said it kept getting worse although the engine seemed to be running fine. Put high test fuel in it, no difference. Finally it got that he couldn't get it up over 50, so he took it into a garage for repair...

The diagnosis... his floor mat was bunched up behind the gas pedal!

I'm usually not much for complaining about health problems, but I've got the worst case of flu I can remember. I'm sicker than I've been since I've been an adult. Thought I was getting better this AM, but I'm slipping backwards again. Man, this bites. Deadlines looming, commitments, etc. Can't sleep for any length of time with the fever, and staying in bed puts my back out anyway. Can't get the indoor temperature above 55, have to haul water in from outside, and no hot shower (renovations ongoing but stalled).

Really bites.

I'm usually not much for complaining about health problems, but I've got the worst case of flu I can remember. I'm sicker than I've been since I've been an adult. Thought I was getting better this AM, but I'm slipping backwards again. Man, this bites. Deadlines looming, commitments, etc. Can't sleep for any length of time with the fever, and staying in bed puts my back out anyway. Can't get the indoor temperature above 55, have to haul water in from outside, and no hot shower (renovations ongoing but stalled).

Really bites.

Sorry to hear, Bill. Similar has worked it's way through my household, and it was really hard on my kids. I hope you feel better soon.

Would space heaters help in your home, or is it more a matter of drafts than an insufficient heat source?

Did you guys get flu shots this season? The flu is preventable..

The flu is MOSTLY preventable. The flu vaccine can't possible protect from every strain of flu virus. It's possible to get the shot, and still get sick with a flu virus.

I'm not writing this to say that people should not get the flu shot, as it will reduce your chances of catching the flu. I'm just saying not to expect the flu shot to ELIMINATE that chance.

I regret not getting the shot this season. The last time I got the shot, I had a reaction and felt under the weather for about day. Next time I will remind myself that feeling a bit down for a day is a heck of a lot better than the possibility of being out of commission for 2 weeks. Considering what it has done in my household, it's a combination of luck and constant hand-washing that it didn't knock me out too.

Ok, we are back to the parking thing again. Some person of who is extremely lacking in intellect and social respect parked over the line in my parking space and was so close to my car I couldn't squeeze between my car and theirs. I couldn't get into the drivers side. I had to get in the passenger side, put the car in neutral and push it out to get in the drivers side. My son was with me or I would have gotten a tire iron out and gone ballistic on their car.

Did you guys get flu shots this season? The flu is preventable..

The vaccine producers miss-guessed the stains this year. I read that it's only 25% effective this year. My wife was down with it for 2 weeks... I was fortunate not to get it from her. We both had shots.

Really bites.

Be careful Bill! I know you live alone. My brother in law also lives alone and almost died from it a few years ago. It turned into pneumonia and he didn't know that. He had been to the doctor, but was just toughing it out. His sister called him and realized he wasn't making sense on the phone, and called 911. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks, we were told he was near death.

Thanks for the concern, guys. Didn't get a flu shot, never do, and usually don't get sick at all but for a little achy-tiredness and sniffles sometimes. This one is kicking my butt. I have a friend who gets pretty intense if she doesn't hear from me at least once a day, so the likelihood of being found during the spring melt, stinking up the place, is minimal. :)

Would space heaters help in your home, or is it more a matter of drafts than an insufficient heat source?

I'm running space-heaters where possible, but there are areas of the house that have virtually no insulation after finding and removing a mess of toxic-mold infested asbestos. The previous owner installed a heat-pump system, but it's not much good when the temps drop below freezing, and no good whatsoever since copper thieves stole all the wiring and lines.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy