Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

my email account got locked because some hacker made enough attempts to log in unsuccessfully that my email provider locked my email account even though I had the correct password.

then...I had to track down how to update the login password in my "over ten year old" email client.

freaking hackers!!!! (could even be one of those TLA organizations...)

much irkage happening on my computer!

my email account got locked because some hacker made enough attempts to log in unsuccessfully that my email provider locked my email account even though I had the correct password.

None of my email accounts have been hacked...yet...but I routinely get stuff sent to me from the names of friends and family who HAVE been hacked. I always check the originating address before opening anything, and when it's in Belarus or Nigeria, it's a pretty good bet it's not really from my cousin.

EDIT: And speakin' of which...I just got a bogus "notification" from one of my email accounts that someone has my password and tried to sign in somewhere else. Highly unlikely, as the "notification" has the other account name wrong.  

I'd like to personally cut a hacker up into little pieces and feed him to rats.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Had a call informing me of a sale on home security systems.  I kept telling the guy I have a system.  He insisted his is faster and kept saying no way.  Finally he asked the name of my system. I replied Smith & Wesson.  No more security phone calls.

I upgraded my system from a S&W to a Desert Eagle in 50 AE.

Had a call informing me of a sale on home security systems.  I kept telling the guy I have a system.  He insisted his is faster and kept saying no way.  Finally he asked the name of my system. I replied Smith & Wesson.  No more security phone calls.

Perfect! Same brand I have works flawlessly, and much quicker response than our "local" sheriff that's 30 minutes away if he's not busy.

None of my email accounts have been hacked...yet...but I routinely get stuff sent to me from the names of friends and family who HAVE been hacked. I always check the originating address before opening anything, and when it's in Belarus or Nigeria, it's a pretty good bet it's not really from my cousin.

EDIT: And speakin' of which...I just got a bogus "notification" from one of my email accounts that someone has my password and tried to sign in somewhere else. Highly unlikely, as the "notification" has the other account name wrong.  

anyone can get you locked out of your email (all they need is your email address or account name) if you access through "webmail" interface and possibly even if you use outlook...if they try to continually log into your email with the wrong password, the email service will lock down the account for security purposes and force you to change your password even if your account didn't actually get hacked.

Why would you want to be nice to one, let the rats do it. Per the title of one of my favorite Snakefinger albums: "Chewing Hides The Sound".

Actually paying attention and having a clue as to what you're doing is good...and increasingly rare.

Two separate auction sellers:

One states SPECIFICALLY in the auction text to combine auctions for savings on shipping. Then at checkout, there's a big RED message that says seller has disallowed combined shipping. Got it sorted after several emails. BS.

Other one sells several kits for good prices, and even though shipping is a little high, they're still under market. Tried to get a combined invoice, and apparently one kit is "lost" or "sold earlier". Thing is, it's the one I wanted most, and frankly I bought the others because the one I REALLY wanted was such a good deal....so I figured I'd give the guy more money. More BS.

And never a word like "sorry for the inconvenience".

It's obviously just too hard to get it right in the first place, and too hard to exercise common courtesy afterwards...and I'm the backside orifice for expecting either.

So...are these things really worth whining about? No, obviously not...on their own. But they're endemic of the can't read, can't write a sentence, can't spell (or bother to use spellcheck), can't return an email anyway, can't make change, can't find North Korea or England or Arkansas on a map, can't read a map period, can't change a flat, can't understand the most basic science, can't think, and can't say "thank you" or "sorry" brave new world we live in now.

Stupid, ignorant, incompetent, and proud of it. It's everywhere.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Actually paying attention and having a clue as to what you're doing is good...and increasingly rare.

One states SPECIFICALLY in the auction text to combine auctions for savings on shipping. Then at checkout, there's a big RED message that says seller has disallowed combined shipping. Got it sorted after several emails. BS.

Other one sells several kits for good prices, and even though shipping is a little high, they're still under market. Tried to get a combined invoice, and apparently one kit is "lost" or "sold earlier". Thing is, it's the one I wanted most, and frankly I bought the others because the one I REALLY wanted was such a good deal....so I figured I'd give the guy more money. More BS.

It's obviously just too hard to get it right in the first place, and too hard to exercise common courtesy afterwards...and I'm the backside orifice for expecting either.

So...are these things really worth whining about? No, obviously not...on their own. But they're endemic of the can't read, can't write a sentence, can't spell (or bother to use spellcheck), can't return an email anyway, can't make change, can't find North Korea or England or Arkansas on a map, can't read a map period, can't change a flat, can't understand the most basic science, can't think, and can't say "thank you" or "sorry" brave new world we live in now.

Stupid, ignorant, incompetent, and proud of it. It's everywhere.

It's possible that "Stupid, ignorant, incompetent" is okay as long as you have a "smart phone" to take up the slack. Now we need someone to produce a "smart and considerate phone" to pick up some more of the slack.

Telemarketing.

And I don't understand WHY it's still legal. Almost ALL of the calls are some kind of scam, and everyone in the known universe HATES them. Still, they continue unabated and the "do not call" list is a joke.

Seriously...has ANYBODY here ever actually BOUGHT anything hawked by a telemarketer?

It is not legal, but what can you do about it?  The callerID they use is spoofed so how will you report them to whatever authorities are in charge of the Do Not Call list. Are you are going to ask them for their real company name, the salesperson's name and their address and real phone number?! We're screwed!

That actually might be eBay's fault. There seems to be some settings that the seller is unaware which makes eBay reject requests for combined shipping.  That happened to me few times. Each time I contacted seller through one of the listings (after a rejected "request total") and the sellers apologized and sent me a combined-shipping invoices.

But I also agree on your other point that the smarter the phones are getting, the dumber their average users seem to become.

Double ditto.  Unpatriotic.  UnAmerican.  Pure and simple.  

Spoiled, narcissistic brats.  Maybe in North Korea they could earn millions and live privileged lives for just being entertainers for a few years before they slither into obscurity.

Extremely disappointed in their lack of respect for the nation and the veterans that gave them the opportunities to earn beyond the average American's wildest dreams.  

Kudos to the veteran who took the field to salute his flag despite the selfish antics of his teammates.

Exactly.

I really wonder how all these people have all this time to protest this and that? Are they all unemployed and just voters or what? If they don't like the current administration, so what as I didn't like the last one. All this protesting and rioting got to stop. I agree woth espo, if a person don't like it here in the USA, move!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread has gotten political. I've removed the overly political posts from view. Please, respect the board rules and don't discuss politics here. It's an important subject, but I'm sure there are better venues, and their hosts are more than happy to have you there. 

We don't allow political or religious discussions for good reasons. These rules have served us well. Your religious beliefs and the political scene is generally not relevant to building model cars, which is what most of us came here to enjoy. 

I'm going to make the charitable assumption that some people forgot the rules in the heat of the moment, and not hand out any warnings. Please do not continue to discuss either politics or religion* here. Moderating people's posts is generally annoying to both the person moderated, and the moderator. 

Thank you for your cooperation,
Dave Ambrose

* When we say religious discussions, we mean discussing or debating the merits or characteristics of various religions. Offering to keep someone in distress in your prayers is fine. 

I was involved in a vehicle crash going on two weeks ago. The responsible driver won't give a statement to his insurance company. The insurance company won't move forward without his statement. My truck can't be driven. I'm bumming rides to and from work. What do I do now? I'm seriously irked and the insurance company knows it.

Frank, I echo what Jim said! More than likely, the other driver was involved in another accident(s), and thus the dragging of the feet. Were the police called? I'd get an accident report from them and if his insurance company is listed on the report, well.........I'd be the kind of guy that would just drop them a line..........as in you sending the report as to what happened. From there, your insurance company can duke it out with his.

Which begs the question.............did the other guy even HAVE insurance??

That was done day one and several times since. I've already filed a complaint with the state Department of Insurance.

Someone on his end (or even possibly yours) is being the bottleneck on all of this. Unfortunately, if you can't get either side to budge, you might have to involve an attorney to light a fire under their rear ends. :(

Heard yesterday afternoon that there will be no more Phoenix International Raceway after the end of the year. ISC sold the naming rights to ISM Multimedia with the AZ governor, CofC and ISM going on about how this will be a big opportunity for multimedia use and enhancing the experience. Maybe making the racing better might be more important. Other then going out for Indy Car tests last year, don't think I've been to the track since the last Grand American or IRL race. The Cup stuff just got too expensive for basically a marketing and party circus with the racing almost an afterthought. Plus all my good photo sites were pretty much eliminated or fenced off. I guess they're going to completely reconfigure the track also with the finish line moved to what is now the back dogleg area and new main grandstands build there with were the front stands are now being a high dollar motor home parking area.