Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

When you are being instructed on something new by person "A", and you're a bit confused but you have the gist of it, and dismiss person "A" so you can read over everything and come back with questions.

Then person "B" comes over and says, "Don't listen to what he said, this is how ya do it". And then procedes to transform what was once a semi-cohesive idea into a possible aneurism. 

I'm positive more murders are caused by this than are actually documented.

So last week end I'm servicing my riding mower. This is a Sears mower I bought around 15 years ago. Only minor fixes thru the years so no complaints about that. The problem is that with Sears imploding business wise getting parts has become a problem. There are two drive belts on the mower deck and they are beyond frayed. I used to go to Sears and buy what ever I needed. Even for a couple of years after they closed the big retail store they had a small store for parts and so that wasn't a problem. Now that that has closed the only way to get the correct parts is to go thru Sears online. This is were everything went into the "pull chain facility". First off they wanted me to drive 150 miles to the nearest store that they would ship too, I'm not doing that.. In desperation I called their toll free number to speak to a human. There was a very big language barrier and even though I provided the part numbers she still managed to mess it up. I needed the two belt, she got those right. Needed an oil filter and that was ok also. I ordered the two part air filter. Even with the part numbers she kept talking about a gas filter which I can get locally for @2.98. I received my conformation from Sears and even though she had read the part numbers back to me she still managed to not include the air filters I needed and instead she ordered a fuel filter. Now Sears can't be reached on the phone, they aren't open yet according to the answering machine, and I'm still waiting for a reply to my E-Mail. When this ridder goes to the big composter in the sky I'll be looking at anything but a Crapsmen mower.    

You might try ordering parts from Jack's. I ran a small engine repair business part time as relief from working on computers all day. It was more of a therapy than a business. Kept me from going postal after chasing network problems down. I had a really great small engine supply house near my home and ordered most of my parts from them, but when they weren't able to provide the needed part I turned to Jack's. They usually had what I needed. It's been a few years since I ordered from there, but you can always try looking the part up to see if they have it.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/manufacturer/craftsman

My bathroom sink has begun to drain rather slowly. So last night I stop and pick up a bottle or ROOTO. I've used this with great success before. I get home, pour the rooto down the drain. It sizzles, fizzes and all those wonderful sounds while filling the house with that oh so wonderful boiled egg smell lol... After the allotted time, I turn the cold water on. Sink fills with a nasty black as oil water. This time however, it didn't magically go away. I fill the sink some more. Still nothing. So, I scooped the water out and dumped in the toilet...

I decided to try it again, so I pour some more ROOTO in the drain... sounds and smells filling the house... This time I waited double the time. Hit the cold water...... Hit the cold water again.... scoop it out to the porcelain throne.

I had a sink that drained slowly... now... I have a sink that doesn't drain, a drain pipe with the remnants of acid in it, and I'm brushing my teeth in the kitchen... yippee.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:07 PM, Phirewriter said:

Yeah, they have constant reminders to not text especially since it's illegal to text while driving here. Does no good. Until recently I had a long commute to work, could write long novels about the ignorant nonsense I'd see almost everyday.

Yeah, it's been illegal here for a couple of years now, but everyone still texts.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, smhardesty said:

You might try ordering parts from Jack's. I ran a small engine repair business part time as relief from working on computers all day. It was more of a therapy than a business. Kept me from going postal after chasing network problems down. I had a really great small engine supply house near my home and ordered most of my parts from them, but when they weren't able to provide the needed part I turned to Jack's. They usually had what I needed. It's been a few years since I ordered from there, but you can always try looking the part up to see if they have it.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/manufacturer/craftsman

Thanks for the info. I'll do that next time. The Sears saga just keeps getting better. After I recontacted Sears, since they wouldn't reply to my E-Mails or phone requests, I'm now informed that they cannot correct their mistake and I will have to return the Fuel Filter for a credit. With this information about Jack's and that the Deere tractors also use the Kohler engine I got a Deere filter at Home Depot for $17.50 instead of the $33.09 that Sears charges for the same thing.  You know Home Depot  is making a profit as they should, but Sears is out of their minds with their pricing and for a company that built their business for ever on Customer Service and competitive pricing it's a shame to see what they have become. No wonder they are imploding.    

3 minutes ago, espo said:

...Sears is out of their minds with their pricing and for a company that built their business for ever on Customer Service and competitive pricing it's a shame to see what they have become. No wonder they are imploding.    

I really used to love the fact that Sears stocked parts for out-of-production stuff, sometimes for decades..but with the advent of a more throwaway attitude towards consumer items in general, and a cheapening of products in general (and offshore sourcing), and a change-for-the-sake-of-change marketing ethic intended to encourage throwing stuff out rather than fixing it, they shut down their huge parts warehouse here many years ago.

56 minutes ago, espo said:

With this information about Jack's and that the Deere tractors also use the Kohler engine I got a Deere filter at Home Depot for $17.50 instead of the $33.09 that Sears charges for the same thing.

Just FYI. For the most part, all riding mowers and lawn tractors use either Briggs & Stratton or Kohler engines. The parts for the engines are not dependent on the brand of mower. Each engine has an identification number on it. You can do an online search for "how to find small engine identification number" that will tell you where to look for the number on different engines. Then just use that number to look up your needed part(s) on a site like Jack's. Parts for an engine are the same regardless of the brand of mower, but if you need parts like belts, blades, or any other part on the tractor you'll need to find those elsewhere.

This works fine for Briggs or Kohler. Things are a little different if you happen to have a Honda, Kawasaki, or other engine.

Yup!  I travel on the NJ and PA Turnpikes daily.   The amount of slow pokes in the faster lanes is the major issue with the commute. 

When I start out every day,  the first 20 miles of the PA Turnpike is two lanes.  Most days we zip along at 80 mph or better. Speed limit is 75. Every few days there are two numpties side by side... aka that rolling roadblock, going 60-65 mph.  Usually it's two tractor trailers, often it's some slow poke commuter riding alongside a tractor trailer.  Both of them think life is dandy because there isn't a car in view ahead of them.   That's only because the cars ahead of them were going 80 and are long gone from view.  Of course these pokes never look in their rear view mirror where it looks like they are pacing the Indy 500!   

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Every few days there are two numpties side by side... aka that rolling roadblock, going 60-65 mph.  Usually it's two tractor trailers, often it's some slow poke commuter riding alongside a tractor trailer.  Both of them think life is dandy because there isn't a car in view ahead of them.   That's only because the cars ahead of them were going 80 and are long gone from view.  Of course these pokes never look in their rear view mirror where it looks like they are pacing the Indy 500!   

Folks like that are one of the reasons that train horns on trucks (and cars) are becoming pretty popular. One two second blast at 180db tends to get the point across. Usually the slowpoke lane hogs move into over into the slow lane before a second blast is warranted.

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yup!  I travel on the NJ and PA Turnpikes daily.   The amount of slow pokes in the faster lanes is the major issue with the commute. 

When I start out every day,  the first 20 miles of the PA Turnpike is two lanes.  Most days we zip along at 80 mph or better. Speed limit is 75. Every few days there are two numpties side by side... aka that rolling roadblock, going 60-65 mph.  Usually it's two tractor trailers, often it's some slow poke commuter riding alongside a tractor trailer.  Both of them think life is dandy because there isn't a car in view ahead of them.   That's only because the cars ahead of them were going 80 and are long gone from view.  Of course these pokes never look in their rear view mirror where it looks like they are pacing the Indy 500!   

Everyone drives at different speeds but no common courtesy to pull over, I-40 is the same way....

21 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

LI and NYC drivers are some of the worst drivers in the world,just under the older folks in Florida.:P

My stereotype offender on the NJ Turnpike is a 15 year old Honda Civic, dented all the way around, with 6 people in it and a New York plate, going 50-55 in the middle lane. Oblivious to the fact that cars going 80 are whizzing around it on both sides!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

LI and NYC drivers are some of the worst drivers in the world,just under the older folks in Florida.:P

I think that just about anybody living in a densely-populated metropolitan area can easily say that the drivers in their area are the worse.  To me the Boston drivers are the absolute worse drivers. What makes it even worse is the fact that Boston street and surrounding highways are not well designed (streets follow old cow paths, not the typical grid system), the streets are narrow, and the highways undersize for the amount of cars.  No fun at all, unless you are driving in the middle of the night, and you lucky not to hit any constructions zones.

About month ago I went to the local ER about severe pain starting around my thigh and going down my leg .  They took 2 X-Rays of my back and side.  Turned out to be a pinched nerve and a disc that not aligned.  The statement arrived from my insurance yesterday showing the hospital billed $5,000.00 for the visit.  Insurance gave them $750.00 and called it even.  Ridiculous prices from hospitals!

I got a new computer, and I'm setting everything up.  I try to import to import all my correspondence to Live Mail and.....where's Live Mail?   Instead they have Windows Mail, which apparently has none of the useful features of Live Mail or Outlook., and apparently Live Mail is no longer supported.  It's annoying enough when they change things around, especially in this Brave New World when sticking to the old version is no longer an option, but at least change it to something better.

Thankfully, I knew someone who could set me up with a copy of Live Mail for this machine.

56 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I got a new computer, and I'm setting everything up.  I try to import to import all my correspondence to Live Mail and.....where's Live Mail?   Instead they have Windows Mail, which apparently has none of the useful features of Live Mail or Outlook., and apparently Live Mail is no longer supported.  It's annoying enough when they change things around, especially in this Brave New World when sticking to the old version is no longer an option, but at least change it to something better.

Thankfully, I knew someone who could set me up with a copy of Live Mail for this machine.

That kind of thing has happened over and over again with M$ products. You can count on it happening again.

Linux for freedom, and for free.

10 hours ago, crazyjim said:

About month ago I went to the local ER about severe pain starting around my thigh and going down my leg .  They took 2 X-Rays of my back and side.  Turned out to be a pinched nerve and a disc that not aligned.  The statement arrived from my insurance yesterday showing the hospital billed $5,000.00 for the visit.  Insurance gave them $750.00 and called it even.  Ridiculous prices from hospitals!

That's nothing. A couple years ago my brother-in-law got bite by a rattle snake. Three days in hospital and also had to have anti venom.. The bill was $250,000. Between what she paid and the insurance company was $10,000 total( not a typo).  $240,000 tax write off for hospital. If we peons did that the IRS would get us for tax fraud.