Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

30 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

And there are those of us with snow on the ground who are happy it's just rain this time! 😁

I had about 6-8 inches of snow over the weekend, but a couple days of freezing rain since then and rising to 50F tonight...so lots of slush and melting going on...

IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

So far, just over three weeks into January, we have had November weather, December weather, January weather, February weather, and March weather this month. Mix of snow, sun, cloud, cold and comfortably warm ( for winter ) temperatures; last night freezing rain with a bit more than 1/4" of ice accretion on everything. Not quite a week to go and we might see some April weather this month.

Still, could always be worse ;)

I swear, I just looked out the front door and then the back, the weather was different in both places ;)

cheers, Graham

A quiet day, working in my home office.  After lunch noticed my internet was out.  Rebooted the modem, nothing. Checking around, went outside to get the mail and noticed a cable hanging down and in the road.  A tall truck must have snagged my internet cable.  Called Spectrum, they will have someone out tomorrow.  Ugh.  Going to have limp along on my mobile hotspot.  Slow. 

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

In my neighborhood everything is underground. Even my Fios fiber is below surface from the box to my house

Everything was underground at my previous house...they were putting in fiber last summer when I moved to another suburb.   Love my new house on almost 2 acres, but some things aren't perfect. 

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

In my neighborhood everything is underground. Even my Fios fiber is below surface from the box to my house

Sure, it is underground in your development, but that is just last several hundred feet.  Outside of your development the utilities come back up to regular utility poles and subjected to a typical damage by the weather or careless drivers.

Wah wah wah...but hobby-item resellers who find garage-sale models with a few loose parts and decide to "fix" them prior to listing, and whose phone photos don't really show the gloo-obliterated details and finger-smears and blobs, or the 40-grit sanding scratches...they just drive me nuts.

There are some really sweet deals to be had buying models from non-modelers, but it's always a roll of the dice.

If you have the skills of a 5-year old, PLEASE just leave things alone.

And try to think through that a heavy die-cast model with tiny wire and lost-wax and plastic details won't ship damage-free if all you do is bubble-wrap it and shove it loosely in a box where it can bang around as the PO chimps play soccer with it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Rain here for the last 3 - 4 days after a spell of snow earlier in the week. Some minor localize flooding but nothing too damaging.

The biggest irk I see from folks they panic over a potential upcoming “snowstorm”  in the forcast and they rush to the grocery store to stock up on bread, eggs, bananas, and TP. Aftr all was said and done, we ended up with about 4 - 5 inches of snow. That’s nothing for Central NY. I always tell my wife, it’s winter for heaven’s sake! I never panic over an impending snowstorm….ever. It is what it is, just deal with it after it passes.

• Like 2

I posted in the "what non-car model didja get?" thread I'd recently acquired a "1/88 scale" model of a Beech 18, based on what the seller and MULTIPLE interdwerb sites quoted as the scale being...which I checked PRIOR to buying the thing.

A friend who's very knowledgeable about aircraft models contacted me, to let me know THERE IS NO 1/88 SCALE BEECH 18.

And he's correct. I dry-assembled the model and measured the wingspan at roughly 10". The REAL Beech 18 wingspan is 47' 8", or 572".

Elementary-school arithmetic shows the actual scale to be approximately 1/57.

So what I get for believing info that's apparently mindlessly rebleated widely on the interdwerbs is an expensive model I have no use for. 

I DID check multiple sources, as the interdwerbs also repeat endlessly that the old Pyro / Lindberg Gee Bee is 1/32, when in fact it's about 1/26, by measuring the wingspan...though the little pilot figure is indeed about 1/32. 

Endlessly repeated WRONG information is still WRONG.

Simple math and measuring have been too hard for the general populace for decades it seems, and it's just getting worse daily. 

Thanks fer letting me know, old friend. Now that I've assembled it and put it next to an HO locomotive, it's very obviously huge.

Looks like I won't need to fab landing gear after all. It'll get built as a desk model, on its pylon, as it was intended.
  • Like 1

we got the ring camera. it is supposed to have a long battery life, but what they dont tell you is that in reality it only lasts about a month if you keep the motion detectors on and get any decent amount of foot traffic, say 10 people walking by per day. 

last night at 4:45 am the ring starts ringing my phone because the battery is low again. apparently there is not a way to turn off this notification either. of course, with it waking me up like that, i had a hard time falling asleep again. i have since turned on bedtime mode on my phone, which is supposed to suppress all messages, but lets see if it works for the ring

18 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

we got the ring camera. it is supposed to have a long battery life, but what they dont tell you is that in reality it only lasts about a month if you keep the motion detectors on and get any decent amount of foot traffic, say 10 people walking by per day. 

last night at 4:45 am the ring starts ringing my phone because the battery is low again. apparently there is not a way to turn off this notification either. of course, with it waking me up like that, i had a hard time falling asleep again. i have since turned on bedtime mode on my phone, which is supposed to suppress all messages, but lets see if it works for the ring

When I had Ring cameras, I usually got about 6 weeks to a charge out of them.   You can adjust the zones for motion detection and the sensitivity to get longer battery life.   

At my new house I have 2 of the Google Nest wired door bells and six Nest battery cameras, I'm getting about 6 weeks out of them also.  But the Nest cameras are a newer generation than the Ring cameras I had and have much clearer images. 

mailman once again tossed a package and once again, i got a broken item. this time a 150 dollar slot car. im really mad because its not fixable, the chassis is broken, the body pieces are broken off. 

im saving the ring video of the mailman tossing it and seeing if they will refund me

• Sad 1

well my day got worse. went to kohls today to return stuff to amazon, and someone hit my truck when it was parked and didnt leave a not or anything. i contacted insurance company and i have to pay my deductible. i guess next time i will just keep the stuff from amazon, now im out 500 dollars

On 1/22/2024 at 12:01 PM, Rob Hall said:

Two thermostats... two A/C systems also.  I had it all checked out before I moved in, ducts cleaned, etc.  May need more insulation in places.    The house is unusual, it is a 1950s vintage 1500 sq ft ranch that had a 1800 sq ft addition added in the 1990s by the previous owner.   So the original part has it's own HVAC and the addition has it's own.   

I would guess that the original heat was no better before the addition was put on. Some times the size of the ducts are not correct is what one person said to me about uneven heat or cooling.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, A modeler named mike said:

Having to function with minimal sleep, 5:50am to 7:15am was all I was able to get thanks to my dementia riddled dad. He was a basket case last night with confusion like I've never seen in him before. Very uncooperative and almost combative at times. 

Prayers for you Mike. You have your hands full. Visiting Angels are not bad here. If you can afford it for your sanity. 

My father only had a stroke and he was bad enough. When watching him he would make noise like a toddler when walking or qhat ever he was doing. Leave the room and just like a toddler he would zip like greased lightning down the basement steps to put wood in the wood stove. Keep in your head the house had a basement dug after the house was built in the 1800's.  The steps were steep not standard size and rather short for your feet. Most adults refuses ro go up and down them.