Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 2/18/2024 at 2:12 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Being unable to load photos directly onto a number of other forums without having to use a hosting facility.

Loath to do this as we have all seen the results of Photobucket's watermark that all but destroys your pictures.

Not only that but the results of other hosting sites either packing up altogether or deciding to charge for the service AFTER being free to use and therefore holding the user to ransom and totally wiping out pictures loaded onto numerous threads over different forums.

Thank goodness I can load pictures directly on to this forum!

Once upon a time, we had that recommendation ourselves. Forums get to an awkward size where they don't fit well with any of the "mainstream" hosting platforms. We went through this a long time ago. Had to move our hosting platform several times within a few years.

We're fortunate to be able to support a dedicated server. That expenditure gets supported by the ever so obnoxious ads. We have 500GB of content now. That presents a few challenges too, but we can readily meet them. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 12:48 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Once upon a time, we had that recommendation ourselves. Forums get to an awkward size where they don't fit well with any of the "mainstream" hosting platforms. We went through this a long time ago. Had to move our hosting platform several times within a few years.

We're fortunate to be able to support a dedicated server. That expenditure gets supported by the ever so obnoxious ads. We have 500GB of content now. That presents a few challenges too, but we can readily meet them. 

@Dave Ambrose

I'm a big proponent of resizing photos to a size that is "forum friendly". I usually use 1200 pixels across, and file size is usually much less than 0.5MB.  Whenever I see a thread when a newbie is asking how to upload photos to the forum, I suggest resizing them first.  I've seen some photos uploaded here with large enough resolution to print out a poster size print.  It is not really necessary, and it eats up the server's storage space.  I also realize that not everybody is tech-savvy to easily resize photos, or doesn' want to be bothered to do it.   Does the forum software have a feature which would automatically resize photos to a forum friendly size?  In a long run that would lessen the amount of server's storage space used up by photos.  Another forum I frequent also hosts photos locally and has the automatic resizing feature enabled, it also increases the compression ratio on JPGs, so that further reduces storage requirement, and the photos still look decent.  We are now here at half of Tera Byte. How long  til we get to 1TB?  Something to ponder  . . .

• Like 2

I just got a water bill for a whopping 7000 gallons when my usual consumption is around 1200.

Checked the meter, no water is spinning the little triangle gizmo when everything's turned off, but if I turn on a tap, it spins like it's s'posed to.

The new billing format, by the way, doesn't show start/finish numbers on the meter anymore, just total consumed.

Think it's time to go raise some stink with the water provider.  :angry:

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I just got a water bill for a whopping 7000 gallons when my usual consumption is around 1200.

Checked the meter, no water is spinning the little triangle gizmo when everything's turned off, but if I turn on a tap, it spins like it's s'posed to.

The new billing format, by the way, doesn't show start/finish numbers on the meter anymore, just total consumed.

Your neighbor built a pool, and filled it while you were at work?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I have 1TB in my desktop...used to seem like a lot, now not so much...

Sure, but you aren't paying hosting fees like Model Cars Forum does.  I've been involved with computers for a long time (my first computer came with 1 kB (1024 bytes) of RAM, and I have always been striving to minimize storage use. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by peteski

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Have the readings been estimates (under estimates) lately with the latest bill an actual reading of the meter?

On 2/20/2024 at 3:16 PM, peteski said:

@Dave Ambrose

I'm a big proponent of resizing photos to a size that is "forum friendly". I usually use 1200 pixels across, and file size is usually much less than 0.5MB.  Whenever I see a thread when a newbie is asking how to upload photos to the forum, I suggest resizing them first.  I've seen some photos uploaded here with large enough resolution to print out a poster size print.  It is not really necessary, and it eats up the server's storage space.  I also realize that not everybody is tech-savvy to easily resize photos, or doesn' want to be bothered to do it.   Does the forum software have a feature which would automatically resize photos to a forum friendly size?  In a long run that would lessen the amount of server's storage space used up by photos.  Another forum I frequent also hosts photos locally and has the automatic resizing feature enabled, it also increases the compression ratio on JPGs, so that further reduces storage requirement, and the photos still look decent.  We are now here at half of Tera Byte. How long  til we get to 1TB?  Something to ponder  . . .

We wanted to have the possibility of including forum content in the magazine. For that, we need high resolution photos. If we resized the photos down, we wouldn't be able to have Forum Finds in the magazine. In this day and age, storage is pretty cheap, and if we need to go back and compress the photos better, we can. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:29 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Chances are that they misread the meter. Although our electric meters get read automagically, the water meters are still read by hand. Sometimes they make mistakes. Last time I encountered that, I just called the water department and asked them for their latest meter readings. They cheerfully provided it, and we got things ironed out. 

15 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

Have the readings been estimates (under estimates) lately with the latest bill an actual reading of the meter?

That was the first thing that occurred to me after I checked the reading that's on the meter now, and verified there were no leaks on MY side of the meter.

But LAST month was more than double my normal usage...which I just let slide, as it's not much money.

I've been here almost ten years, my usage is pretty consistent, and was also approximately 1200 gallons a month at my last house when I lived there alone for several years.

It's hard to believe previous "estimates" could be so far off...and I occasionally see the reader stop, get out, and read the thing on days I happen to be home in the morning.

7 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Chances are that they misread the meter. Although our electric meters get read automagically, the water meters are still read by hand. Sometimes they make mistakes. Last time I encountered that, I just called the water department and asked them for their latest meter readings. They cheerfully provided it, and we got things ironed out. 

I appreciate the input. That was the second thing that occurred to me after I verified there were no leaks on MY side of the meter. So I've been recording the meter readings myself daily since the last bill came in.

I rarely go off half-cocked with no backup information, and as soon as I have this month's tally and daily use average, the water office is only a few blocks from one of the shops I work with.

When I get THIS month's bill, we'll go from there.   :)

My sons school change systems at the start of the new calendar year and a mysterious charge appeared on his account.  Upon digging into it, the $25 charge was for his parking pass.  Wait....it wasn't on his account first semester so where did this come from.  He went to the office and explained what happened and they asked him to bring in his receipt.  I made a photocopy of it as clearly the school lost their copy or too lazy to look for it.  Two weeks later, the charge wasn't removed.  I reached out to the Assistance Superintendent (he usually sends out school wide notices) and addressed the situation.  Three more weeks and three e-mail volleys of promising to look into it/resolve it and still no action.  Last night I e-mailed the Superintendent starting the e-mail with an apology that I'm sorry it has to be escalated to this level but I'm getting nothing but empty efforts on the part of the high school office.  

I woke up this a.m. to an apology from the Superintendent and a promise it would be handled and the principal will call me.  No call but the erroneous charge is gone.

You can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility.

Edited by HomerS
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Wisdom tooth pulled today..

With the correct Rx, it's a breeze.

Three of my four had to be broken up to remove them.  Thank to Percodan I recall going in on Monday and next think I knew it was Tuesday.  My mom said I did everything the dentist told me to do and even thumbed through my Hot Rod Magazine that came that day. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Wisdom tooth pulled today..

Ouch, that will smart. I found the hardest part was relearning how to chew on a steak. If you were to ever see me in person, you would realize that I have managed to overcome that problem. 

• Like 1

New Google annoyance on almost every search now...even things like "rotary railroad snowplow"...and NO WAY TO TURN IT OFF (AFAIK). I HATE Google.

image.png.eb401123702d2c7413680c16906a3c7e.png

EDIT: Yes, I know, use another search engine bla bla bla. That's NOT the point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

They put me to sleep to pull it I had no choice.  The roots went in my sinus cavity.  My face is stil swelled and  I was givin no pain pills I was put in the car half out.   The whole thing from when I went back to being put in the car 30 minutes.  I am still hurting..

7 hours ago, slusher said:

They put me to sleep to pull it I had no choice.  The roots went in my sinus cavity.  My face is stil swelled and  I was givin no pain pills I was put in the car half out.   The whole thing from when I went back to being put in the car 30 minutes.  I am still hurting..

That's just not right.. I know they don't like prescribing pain meds due to the addiction factors but for Pete's sake what you had done definitely warrants having them prescribed.. Sorry buddy but I'd be reaching out to them and demanding something for pain relief. 

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Really hoping you'll feel better soon, Carl. Really.

I had one wisdom tooth pulled at a dental school.  The roots were wrapped around and contacted one another, it came out in pieces.  You know you're special when the class is walking through, and the dentist calls them over to show them your X-ray...

• Like 1