Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

6 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yes,I thought so too.Its gets dark,the birds are quiet,with the exception of a seagull or a crow.But I’m telling you this thing has been pecking away day and night,it seems.Just late last night,it finally took a break,& stopped,thank God.Anyway,how big do Woodpeckers get?And I always thought that they making the tree their homes.

I've never had to deal with woodpeckers although they are in the neighbors dead trees but I'd be thinking about stringing up some cheap foil pie pans throughout the tree to possibly deter it. Just a thought... Good luck with woody

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

My left shoulder that I had surgery on 6 years ago is starting to act up again with constant pain and limited movement... 

Sounds like my carpal tunnel syndrome surgery that I had about three years ago on my right hand.The surgery was a complete failure,and a waste of time.My hand hurts even more since I’ve had the surgery.And now everytime it’s the least bit cold out,my hand is completely numb.Advice to anyone contemplating about having this done…Think twice,and don’t.

• Sad 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:14 PM, iamsuperdan said:

To be fair, as soon as we brought it to their attention, they snapped to it pretty quick to get this resolved. Except for that initial response from one person, they've been pretty good.

I have a feeling that $200K price tag may have got their attention. 

40 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I have a feeling that $200K price tag may have got their attention. 

So one of these beauties actually landed here. Was too far in the process to divert. Should be the only one though.

Ford are getting it picked up. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 4/22/2024 at 1:59 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's really weird.

I live on a wooded lot, and have at least 4 species of woodpeckers because of several bug-infested dead trees, and trees with dead limbs.

I've never ever heard one after dusk. 

Yes,I thought so too.Its gets dark,the birds are quiet,with the exception of a seagull or a crow.But I’m telling you this thing has been pecking away day and night,it seems.Just late last night,it finally took a break,& stopped,thank God.Anyway,how big do Woodpeckers get?And I always thought that they making the tree their homes.

Freeze plugs….I somehow blew a freeze plug in my Jeep.🤷‍♂️.Anybody replace a set of freeze plugs?I know freeze plugs are not normally a part of an engine that needs to be replaced.And if they do need to be replaced,most times they are replaced with the engine out of the stupid car.But that’s not an optioon for me..I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee,straight six.My buddy and I got them out but that took forever,and now we are having a lot of trouble getting all of them back in.Even with a freeze plug tool I got from Summit racing.I know we have to remove part of the exhaust,but that’s easier said than done.Anyway again,I was just wondering if anyone has replaced their cars freeze plugs,and might have some advice.

I Thank you

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Freeze plugs….I somehow blew a freeze plug in my Jeep.🤷‍♂️.Anybody replace a set of freeze plugs?I know freeze plugs are not normally a part of an engine that needs to be replaced.And if they do need to be replaced,most times they are replaced with the engine out of the stupid car.But that’s not an optioon for me..I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee,straight six.My buddy and I got them out but that took forever,and now we are having a lot of trouble getting all of them back in.Even with a freeze plug tool I got from Summit racing.I know we have to remove part of the exhaust,but that’s easier said than done.Anyway again,I was just wondering if anyone has replaced their cars freeze plugs,and might have some advice.

I Thank you

If you blew one why are you replacing them all? If it was just the one you could possibly replace it with a block heater that is sealed with an O-ring…more expensive likely but easier to install. If you are running straight water in the system, consider switching to antifreeze. Not only won’t it freeze, but it has a lot better cooling properties than water.

31 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

If you blew one why are you replacing them all? If it was just the one you could possibly replace it with a block heater that is sealed with an O-ring…more expensive likely but easier to install. If you are running straight water in the system, consider switching to antifreeze. Not only won’t it freeze, but it has a lot better cooling properties than water.

Yea,thank you for the advice.Actually the only reason why we replaced all the freeze plugs,was my friends “ stoopid” decision.I just said to replace the one.I left out the fact that my radiator was mud,😖.I never checked the fluid when I bought it.And forgot to drain and replace the fluid.Again sir,I thank you for the information.

Not so much a irk but more of a disappointment. Now that I have the time to.. I was contemplating going up to the NNL East this weekend. My wife reminded me it would not be a good idea since I'm in the middle of settling my dad Estate and at this time I'm the only name on both properties and her and I haven't made a will of our own yet so if something happens to me it would be a major setback for all involved. Even though it's a bummer I still have two other shows to attend that are closer. Still disappointed and was looking forward to attending but there's always next years NNL East... God willing.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The fact that Messrs. Dunning and Kruger's research conclusions do in fact accurately describe a significant part of humanity, and there's just no getting away from them.

Wow... I believe I fall into these studies findings as do many others. Unfortunately not all studies are 100% correct due to lack of honesty with test subjects or an agenda. I can honestly admit that I know I might not the sharpest tool in the shed but I can and have been the neighborhood go to for plumbing, electrical issues and numerous other issues that's occurred over 27 years and have yet to burn down or cause a flood.  I'm a happy guy with a big heart and I seem to be getting along just fine! 

Edited by A modeler named mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

I can honestly admit that I know I might not the sharpest tool in the shed...

And that's why the D-K findings don't apply to you.

D-K fellers really believe they're way smarter than they are, and that everything they do is worthy of praise...no matter how abysmally bad it might be.

They often can't be reasoned with and are difficult in business because they're convinced their understanding of everything is perfect, and are not open to even considering other viewpoints or established facts of which they may be ignorant. This is also called "willful ignorance".

Non-D-K fellers at the opposite end of the self-awareness spectrum tend to underestimate their intellect and ability, and if anything are too humble.

A very wise man once told me that true humility was found through honest introspection, leading to seeing yourself as you really are.

He further explained that what that means is that there's nothing wrong with knowing there are things you shine at and admitting it, and there's nothing wrong with admitting there are also things you're not-so-good at.

True humility...the important word being "true".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And that's why the D-K findings don't apply to you.

D-K fellers really believe they're way smarter than they are, and that everything they do is worthy of praise...no matter how abysmally bad it might be.

They often can't be reasoned with and are difficult in business because they're convinced their understanding of everything is perfect, and are not open to even considering other viewpoints or established facts of which they may be ignorant. This is also called "willful ignorance".

Non-D-K fellers at the opposite end of the self-awareness spectrum tend to underestimate their intellect and ability, and if anything are too humble.

A very wise man once told me that true humility was found through honest introspection, leading to seeing yourself as you really are.

He further explained that what that means is that there's nothing wrong with knowing there are things you shine at and admitting it, and there's nothing wrong with admitting there are also things you're not-so-good at.

True humility...the important word being "true".

Thanks Bill for the kind perspective and your wise man is.... Wise.. Lol.

You are very well rounded in your knowledge of many topics, I am in awe and I appreciate your input. Heck I've even learned a few things from your post.. You would be a good teacher but I'm afraid you may be like the nuns and carry a big stick for those who knuckles of the less obedient.. Just kidding.. Or am I? Lol

Edited by A modeler named mike
Spelling correction

Actually irked me yesterday, but my wife and I had a VERY close call yesterday while driving. 

I had just entered traffic on a four lane divided highway (65 mph speed limit) from a side road. I was in the right lane gaining speed and had just reached the speed limit, when a group of 5 or 6 cars approach from behind at a higher rate of speed.  A couple of the cars from the left lane began to overtake us, when the first vehicle (a silver gray SUV) got just past my driver's side door, the driver suddenly cut over into my lane.  Fortunately I was as paying enough attention that I was able to avoid a collision with them. However, between the hard braking and jerking the wheel to the right I broke traction and began to fishtail and slide wildly, actually spinning and coming to a stop on the shoulder facing the wrong the wrong way...

Somehow, by the grace of God,  everyone else was paying attention and we all got stopped without anyone getting gathered up in what could have been a very bad multi car crash. Several of those other drivers got out to check that we were okay.  One gentleman even had called in the incident to the police, with the liescense  number of the vehicle that cut me off (they just kept going without stopping)

Fortunately the only damage to our car was a blown out left rear tire.... Another stroke of good luck was that, just as I was getting the jack and spare tire out of the trunk, an off duty county sheriff's deputy pulled up and changed the tire for me.

Edited by NitroMarty
  • Like 4

On 4/23/2024 at 1:28 PM, iamsuperdan said:

So one of these beauties actually landed here. Was too far in the process to divert. Should be the only one though.

Ford are getting it picked up. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've heard of two-doors and four-doors, even occasionally a "five-door,"  but this is the first time I've ever seen a "No-doors!"

• Haha 1

Why is it always the cool looking parts that are junk?  One of the few things I wanted to bling my '68 Chevy pickup with, was this Summit aluminum differential cover.  The positrac gear set is gorgeous, wanted to give a hint that I'm improving my survivor sleeper.  Soon as the first bolts held it in place, the humongous lack of following specifications showed up. 🤬  When building a model, it's not a big deal because there isn't oil and needing to function.
IMG_8575.thumb.jpeg.48fbd64d9a14bf18b8103ce05c6752dd.jpeg
IMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.81c3d64f3bd10bdf613b84b04d3b2475.jpeg

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Why is it always the cool looking parts that are junk?  One of the few things I wanted to bling my '68 Chevy pickup with, was this Summit aluminum differential cover.  The positrac gear set is gorgeous, wanted to give a hint that I'm improving my survivor sleeper.  Soon as the first bolts held it in place, the humongous lack of following specifications showed up. 🤬  When building a model, it's not a big deal because there isn't oil and needing to function.

Welcome to my world.

People who don't make things that have to function just have no idea what it's like.

EDIT: And it's particularly disappointing that in many cases, like THIS one, ZERO spec-compliance verification was done by the importer/retailer prior to selling the dammmmed thing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

Is it just Arizona, or is it happening everywhere?  I've been seeing more fatal accidents, more stupid drivers being a menace on the roads, humanity is making the movie 'Idiotcracy' a reality.

On my return from Desert Scale Classic, wanted to take the back way home.  Got stopped at this scene, had to turn around.  This was one of THREE in one week ORV wrecks that killed the drivers.
IMG_8488.thumb.jpeg.9bd1a554506155e09e8e34d33e86a96f.jpeg

I live off a busy highway, every time I go anywhere, I have to U-turn at two traffic lights.  There are "smart lights" which are stupid, so people are running red lights more.  This fatality was one of TWO in one week, the other happened at 2:30 AM, drunk driver blew through a red light while someone was doing a U-turn.  I will admit to having a lead foot, but I could get snuffed out waiting to turn left.
IMG_0711.jpeg.9e3fe99b8fea5cbe5c60442afed0bfab.jpeg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

IMG_8575.thumb.jpeg.48fbd64d9a14bf18b8103ce05c6752dd.jpeg
IMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.81c3d64f3bd10bdf613b84b04d3b2475.jpeg

That seems to be par for the course for offshore sourced aftermarket parts, especially the stuff that is relabeled for sale by places like Jegs and Summitt.  You should see the fake Mopar ECU ignition boxes with the fake transistor on the front so it looks like the reliable ECU that Chrysler used to sell.  

That may be just one bad piece... I would expect that they are machined flat and then drilled in a CNC... Or they are drilled with a clamp on jig with a drill press. Either way, something moved mid process.  

• Like 1

How about a model car related "irk". 

I was painting a '34 Ford truck and it popped off the spring loaded stand I was holding. It went directly into the trash can underneath...  

My fault completely... I need a better area to paint and I should have taped the body to the stand. I know better. 

1BayZK9.jpg

At least it was before clear coat and I can fix it fairly easy. 

19 hours ago, NitroMarty said:

Somehow, by the grace of God,  everyone else was paying attention and we all got stopped...

The things that remind us to look up and say 'Thanks!' once in a while 🙏

Sure good to hear you made it through all right, Marty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big_John said:

That seems to be par for the course for offshore sourced aftermarket parts, especially the stuff that is relabeled for sale by places like Jegs and Summitt.  You should see the fake Mopar ECU ignition boxes with the fake transistor on the front so it looks like the reliable ECU that Chrysler used to sell.  

I know some of you guys watch Uncle Tony's Garage on YT. Check out his vid from 2 days ago (4-23-24).

I'd put up a direct link, but even though it's true history and the simple facts that any of us in today's American independent and aftermarket automotive businesses deal with daily, I'd probably be banned for making a "political" post.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2024 at 7:01 AM, NYLIBUD said:

Yea,thank you for the advice.Actually the only reason why we replaced all the freeze plugs,was my friends “ stoopid” decision.I just said to replace the one.I left out the fact that my radiator was mud,😖.I never checked the fluid when I bought it.And forgot to drain and replace the fluid.Again sir,I thank you for the information.

It has been a few decades since I have had to deal with "soft plugs". A couple of suggestions that may help: They used to offer replacements that had a hard rubber bushing the size of the opening in the block that had a bolt of sorts passing thru the center and screwed into a metal plate on the water jacket side of the plug. After inserting the plug into the block as far as the plug would go you would tighten the bolt and it would expand the rubber plug from the inside of the engine. As for an installation tool, we used to use a socket that would fit inside the outer surface of the metal soft plug and with an extension on the socket extending into a part of the engine compartment that you could use a hammer to ease the plug into the block. A good liquid sealer would help the soft plug into place and act as a sealer as well.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I know some of you guys watch Uncle Tony's Garage on YT. Check out his vid from 2 days ago (4-23-24).

I'd put up a direct link, but even though it's true history and the simple facts that any of us in today's American independent and aftermarket automotive businesses deal with daily, I'd probably be banned for making a "political" post.

Funny you say that, I was going to watch his video on that subject last night and decided I would wait. 

I have a tee shirt from him that says on the back "This is sketchy even by my standards"  it's great to wear to the docs for the prostate exam. 

• Haha 2

image.png.5baba6e1ec5f94a1d78bc73f02747238.png

Just noticed the cross hanging on the fence and what appears to be another on the ground. That makes me presume this is not the first fatality at that particular site. The world is in too much of a hurry. This morning I was going into town cruising along the interstate a bit above the posted (77 in a 70). I was passing cars, looked in my rearview and saw the top of another car. First chance I had I moved over and allowed it to pass. No sooner had it got past me when another car sped past me, whipped into the right lane passed the first one, then back into the left lane and took off down the interstate.

Edited by TarheelRick