Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I'm hearing and reading that FedEx is busier now than they are during a "normal" Christmas season.  I'd imagine USPS is no different.  Patience, patience.  Actually I'm surprised that items I have bought lately have arrived so quickly.  Last Tuesday or Wednesday I ordered a set of interior kick panels for my Fairlane...they were on my porch early Saturday afternoon.

Yea, I’m seeing trucks of all colors delivering in the neighborhood on Sundays. Would be nice if there was one day a week without hearing trucks all day!

The Amazon deliveries are very uncoordinated. My daughter is a big Amazon Prime person and when we are at her house different deliveries will arrive all day long.  They don’t have any coordinated routes or daily deliveries like the regular carriers.

I've heard they're all busy too. What irks me is the tracking system. It's supposed to keep us informed where the package is and when it will arrive which is all good but don't tell me it's going to be on my porch on a certain date and then it isn't and the tracking report goes blank. Uhhhh what have you done?

Had a weird delivery with the post office last week.  Got an email that a package had been delivered at my front door, but nothing was there and nothing was seen on my cameras (front driveway and 2 front door cameras).     So I called the post office and spoke w/ someone.   Maybe 15 min later, the package was delivered.   Strange...

Edited by Rob Hall

USPS tracking is hit and miss.  In my neighborhood, all of the mailboxes had bar code stickers that the mail carrier would scan upon delivery.  The sticker on my mailbox lasted about a month.  I think they're somehow tagging the deliveries in bunches, probably one block at a time.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

17 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Had a weird delivery with the post office last week.  Got an email that a package had been delivered at my front door, but nothing was there and nothing was seen on my cameras (front driveway and 2 front door cameras).     So I called the post office and spoke w/ someone.   Maybe 15 min later, the package was delivered.   Strange...

It's amazing how fast the local post office will change their tune when you mention that you have a doorbell/security camera. We got a message two days in a row that said "delivery refused". My wife called and explained that we had nothing on our camera to show that a delivery had been attempted. Like you, our package showed up pretty quickly after she hung up.

2 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

It's amazing how fast the local post office will change their tune when you mention that you have a doorbell/security camera. 

My daughter lives in a condo and her door is in a covered space that’s open at either end of the building.  Her Ring camera caught a couple of turkeys strolling through. 

I'm not allowed the medicine that helps myconstant  pain because someone deemed it illegal long before I was born. Instead my only option is opiate painkillers and diazepam and to be unable to work because of the many side effects. I'm not ready to retire at 45 and i want to keep working but to get the thing that helps i have to be dying first which I'm not planning any time soon.

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My daughter lives in a condo and her door is in a covered space that’s open at either end of the building.  Her Ring camera caught a couple of turkeys strolling through. 

Wow. Turkeys in the hall of a condo. I see 'em at the federal park sometimes, but not in this neighborhood. Just a reminder that Thanksgiving is closer than you think.  ;)

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  Lubys has filed for Chapter 7, which means Fuddruckers will be going away!  While on vacation in Myrtle Beach last year, I would have off-roaded the rental car to get in there (fortunately the wife was driving).  I teach the teenager the joys of clogging an artery and later a toilet but soon they will be gone......

Edited by HomerS

22 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!  Lubys has filed for Chapter 7, which means Fuddruckers will be going away!  .

Yup. Fudd's in my neck of the woods is already gone. Went by there a few days back....one of THE best chain burgers I've ever had, now forever lost to the winds of time. Tragic.

Somehow, soy and kale just don't get it. But hey...the UN will have us all eating bugs in not too long if things keep going the way a certain element is pushing. Yum.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-22508439

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's some recipes for rat...

https://bertc.com/subfive/recipes/cookingrats.htm

Does one of them make it taste like chicken? If so, I'm good. 

I know lots of people eat squirrel, which is just a rat with a furry tail and a better PR team, so I guess rat might be edible. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

"...we hereby offer you five ways to know you’re eating rat.

1. It smells like rat. Rats secrete an oil onto their skin that gives them their distinct "rodenty" odor. Some compare the smell to that of a warm tortilla, says Ginn, while others compare it to urine. Regardless, it’s distinctive. While it’s true that the odor lessens after the rat is skinned, and again after the rat is cooked, no amount of cooking can ever completely get rid of the smell.

2. It tastes like rat. The oil rats secrete gives them a distinctive taste as well. Ginn describes it as quite pungent and gamey — most similar to raccoon or rabbit. Blended with other meats, rat becomes a lot less distinctive, so you’d have to be rather discerning to notice it.

3. It tastes delicious when brushed with a moonshine glaze and barbecued. Of all the ways Ginn has eaten rat, this is her favorite preparation. A close second is smoked rat jerky served on brioche French toast. So, if you happen to be savoring a moonshine-BBQ dish, or think there is something slightly "rodenty" about the gamey and delicious jerky you are consuming, you might want to check the ingredients.

4. It looks like lamb. When it’s raw, pinkish/red rat looks very much like lamb. Unfortunately for the Chinese, when ground, rat can look a lot like any generic ground meat. When cooked, rat looks more like rabbit, Ginn thinks, just because of the shape of the cuts.

5. You’re in Asia. According to Ginn, rats are most commonly eaten in Asia because of the rice crop. In areas where rats feed off rice paddies rather than garbage, the rodents are considered safer to eat. Of course, it isn’t clear whether the rats marketed as mutton in China were healthy, rice-fed rats or sewer-dwelling, garbage-eating, Templeton-esque rats. The New York Times reports that the arrest announcement "did not explain how exactly the traders acquired the rats and other creatures." Rats are also disease carriers, so when Ginn organized her meal she ordered hers from a company that supplies specially raised, grain-fed rodents to zoos.

Bon appétit!"

And then we have this... "Rat meat really tastes like chicken. The tail, however, is not as tasty. It’s kind of crunchy — like a rat cracker."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I know lots of people eat squirrel, which is just a rat with a furry tail and a better PR team, so I guess rat might be edible. :lol:

My dad and his mates had a few days leave in Delhi during WW2. They went for a curry, but something was not right, 'This isn't chicken, this is rabbit!'. 'Oh no no no sa'ab. Him not rabbit. Him cat!

Maybe we'll have to get used to some different sources of protein. Pass the chilli sauce!

52 minutes ago, DonW said:

My dad and his mates had a few days leave in Delhi during WW2. They went for a curry, but something was not right, 'This isn't chicken, this is rabbit!'. 'Oh no no no sa'ab. Him not rabbit. Him cat!

Maybe we'll have to get used to some different sources of protein. Pass the chilli sauce!

I was in a similar situation overseas. Really good food, but we all joked about the yard-lamb, street-beef, and sewer-chicken in the vindaloo...probably accurately. 

There was an ethnic restaurant in town here I used to frequent that served a thin broth with bits of meat and occasionally bones in it. Mighty tasty, but after I got a bowl with a little rodent-sized pelvis, I never went back.   :D

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was in a similar situation overseas. Really good food, but we all joked about the yard-lamb, street-beef, and sewer-chicken in the vindaloo...probably accurately. 

There was an ethnic restaurant in town here I used to frequent that served a thin broth with bits of meat and occasionally bones in it. Mighty tasty, but after I got a bowl with a little rodent-sized pelvis, I never went back.   :D

Ratatouille, anyone?

What's for afters?” “Well, there's, uh, rat pie, rat pudding, rat sorbet or ..."

After all, people eat Spam. Free range rat sounds almost good!

We've fattened and eaten snails from the garden, ok with garlic butter but a bit gritty.

Only did it the once, but if that were all there was...

Edited by DonW