Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

53 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

A friend hasn’t had a car in a few years and has been looking at. 2013 Taurus SEL (3.5l V6, flex fuel, FWD) and the used car lot is asking just under $13k “w/tax” for a lease on the car, with his down payment will nearly cover 1/3 of that amount, they still want $360 a mo for 48mo, which should be just over $17k AND then a fee of nearly $2500 at the end of the lease to buy it outright. Just the monthly payments and end of lease purchase amount is nearly $20k before factoring his down payment into the purchase of the car! I don’t think that would be far from the car cost new, maybe more if it was a rental at the beginning of it’s life.

He can due better at a dealer or buy one that someone is selling .  There is good.deals on cars turned in that was a lease he can buy..

1 hour ago, slusher said:

He can due better at a dealer or buy one that someone is selling .  There is good.deals on cars turned in that was a lease he can buy..

Yup, the monthly is what I paid on my 200 for 6 years after a $5k downpayment back in 2012, and I got a new car that is kind of a factory Sleeper and with a lifetime extended warranty outta that! I checked the  BBB site for this dealer, seems that those kind of shenanigans are about normal for them.  I wish I could be there to help him out on this, but he’s the friend we met up with when we went to Lansing, MI to get that generator 2 weeks ago!

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

What irked me today?, being careless and basically severing a couple of finger tips,  needless to say I wont be getting a lot of building done for a period of time.

Yikes Jonathan, That is not good!  I hope that heals up as quick as possible for you!

8 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

What irked me today?, being careless and basically severing a couple of finger tips,  needless to say I wont be getting a lot of building done for a period of time.

Sorry to hear that Jonathan. Hang in there I know it’ has to be painful...

19 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

hope your recovery is speedy, that's a hard lesson in being careful.

20 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

A friend hasn’t had a car in a few years and has been looking at. 2013 Taurus SEL (3.5l V6, flex fuel, FWD) and the used car lot is asking just under $13k “w/tax” for a lease on the car, with his down payment will nearly cover 1/3 of that amount, they still want $360 a mo for 48mo, which should be just over $17k AND then a fee of nearly $2500 at the end of the lease to buy it outright. Just the monthly payments and end of lease purchase amount is nearly $20k before factoring his down payment into the purchase of the car! I don’t think that would be far from the car cost new, maybe more if it was a rental at the beginning of it’s life.

your friend could come to arizona and probably buy one of those outright for the amount of the down payment, just have to be able to drive it home and get it registered.

25 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wish you a quick and complete recovery. Really bites to injure your hands.

What were you doing?

Thank you Bill

I was being careless with a running a lawnmower,   was having issues keeping it running, was trying spraying carb cleaner into to while it was running , lifted up the side to help stop the cleaner running back out( lost the red straw) first time that worked, second time did not and put my hand to far under.   

3 hours ago, blunc said:

your friend could come to arizona and probably buy one of those outright for the amount of the down payment, just have to be able to drive it home and get it registered.

He had joked about going to California to find a car then road tripping it home a while back!

Luckily, he took the car back today and they gave him is down payment back in full too, I was expecting that not to happen, considering the rest of their sales practices. He’s been looking mainly at flex fuel, V-6 sedans, with a major plus for the Taurus, 300, and 2nd gen 200 all having an AWD option since he lives in MI.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, Joe Handley said:

He had joked about going to California to find a car then road tripping it home a while back!

Luckily, he took the car back today and they gave him is down payment back in full too, I was expecting that not to happen, considering the rest of their sales practices. He’s been looking mainly at flex fuel, V-6 sedans, with a major plus for the Taurus, 300, and 2nd gen 200 all having an AWD option since he lives in MI.

He will end up giving more then I did for my 2016 Dodge Carivan in 2017 and most Chrysler products are flex fuel.

53 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I am gonna take that in a good way ?

LOL, it was meant that way. You review stuff that is different, I didn't mean that the reviews themselves were different.

You don't want to now what I did to myself the first time I used my mandoline slicer.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:57 PM, slusher said:

Yep, dealers like that one are primarily dealing with high risk customers that cannot qualify for a regular car loan so they sometimes are carryng the note themselves.  

They are insuring they are not going to lose money.

Dealers like Kia and even Ford usually can get you financing but if you score is too low the interest rate will be quite high.

Just got around to testing a nice old Crosman 38C pellet gun I bought off eBay a couple months ago. All the CO2 blew right through the barrel, so it's got one or more seals somewhere that need to be replaced. :(

Shortly after I bought it, I got the shop manual for it, which should cover how to do this. 

Now I just need to find the seals. I'm hoping they're available. 

I've now collected five or six of these things. Last time I tested them, some held gas, some didn't. I need to test them all again and see if I have one that will shoot, and then set about re-sealing the rest. 

And I had SO hoped to do some shooting in my basement today! :angry:

Illustrations in my old crash-books and online parts sellers don't clearly show a couple of the minor structural parts I need for the '96 Miata project I recently took on as a "quick turnaround" deal (or call out correct part numbers)...though I was lucky to find OEM front-end structural parts I definitely need, brand new.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Illustrations in my old crash-books and online parts sellers don't clearly show a couple of the minor structural parts I need for the '96 Miata project I recently took on as a "quick turnaround" deal (or call out correct part numbers)...though I was lucky to find OEM front-end structural parts I definitely need, brand new.

try contacting mazda dealers, they are remaking a lot of parts to restore them now