Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, charlie8575 said:

Yes. Especially odd considering I've said nothing negative, and have publicly praised the work I've seen and his casting. Mine had a small issue, but appears fixable (thin spot), but the work...very nice. I know I couldn't do it, and have it come out even 10% as well.

Charlie Larkin

EBay sellers can block certain bidders from bidding or contacting them.  I suspect that this is what happened to you. If you done business wit that seller in the past and did or said something they didn't like, they could have blocked you.  It might be something that you didn't think was a reason enough for them to block you.

I got blocked from a member here who was selling a friends models. After I contacted him and asked if he would wave the postage shipping fee and pick up the models due to the proximity of him if I won the bid he blocked me from his store.  

greg

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

EBay sellers can block certain bidders from bidding or contacting them.  I suspect that this is what happened to you. If you done business wit that seller in the past and did or said something they didn't like, they could have blocked you.  It might be something that you didn't think was a reason enough for them to block you.

Possibly? I'm thinking of seeing if anyone I know knows this guy, and see if I can get some kind of intermediary set up. If I said/did something, I want to at least try to make it right.

6 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I got blocked from a member here who was selling a friends models. After I contacted him and asked if he would wave the postage shipping fee and pick up the models due to the proximity of him if I won the bid he blocked me from his store.  

greg

Talk about petty.

Charlie Larkin

40 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, I went through my feedback, and found this as a review. Nothing derogatroy or mean, and an honest assessment. We all know resin is prone to manufacturing issues. And I'm very serious, this thing will be killer once it's together. If we get another cool/dry spell in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to probably paint it and get it ready to assemble.

Two large air bubbles inside, should fill easily. Will look great built.

If this is what triggered it...wow.

Charlie Larkin

7 hours ago, peteski said:

That guy PJ would block people for buying to much of his stuf in his listing and other stupid stuff..

12 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Parents also weren't afraid to say "no" back when we were kids.

But, then again, I'm a 53 year old man with a 19 month old son. I buy him all kinds of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. I guess I'm going to be a weakling parent myself when he actually starts asking for things.

I seldom ever told my kids no...

Had new rotors/pads put on my Rav-4 a week ago.

first long drive noticed some squealing which I thought was due to new pads.

now today it became extremely loud on another long (for my vehicle) drive.

With the windows down I could tell it was from the rear PASSENGER side.

At home I checked the rotors w/heat gun. One brake rotor was well over 450 deg.

the others much less. The hot one was on the rear DRIVERS side(not the side the squeal 

was coming from) this makes absolutely no sense to me. Arrrhhgg.

back to the shop.?

We had the power go out from that Derecho that hit yesterday, still no power and due Covid rules, I can’t work from the office across town  since I haven’t been approved go back and work from there!  This may be a days long issue from what Dad has been able to find too!  Well, at least the weather is decent vs a blizzard like when this happened in 2018.....

6 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

At home I checked the rotors w/heat gun. One brake rotor was well over 450 deg...

That's undoubtedly because the brake pads aren't retracting from contact with the rotor, obviously.

This is often caused by the inner lining of the brake hose having collapsed, allowing pressurized fluid to apply the brakes, but being so resistant to flow as to inhibit fluid moving in the other direction when the brakes are released.

When this occurs shortly after brakes having been "worked on", it's almost invariably because the chimp doing the work failed to adequately support the caliper, let it dangle from the hose, and caused a sharp bend resulting in internal failure. I've seen it dozens of times.

Squealing immediately after brake "work" is almost always due to improper assembly of one kind or another.

This seems to be a fairly recent phenomenon, at least for me, but a number of my current ebay purchases are still sitting at the sellers' locations.  They print a USPS label but drag their feet actually mailing it, yet somehow ebay allows them to call that item "shipped".  

USPS initiates tracking as soon as the shipper notifies them that the sticker with that tracking number has been applied to a package, and is ready for pickup.  I'd guess the seller doesn't want to bother having them pick up packages until they have several of them ready.

EBay has sellers jumping through hoops like trained poodles!  They have to ship immediately and the fact they’ve printed the label or hit the “shipped” button satisfies that. I’ve paid for something 10pm on a Sunday and immediately got the “package shipped” email

Not a good day at the Snakepit. 

Internet was out in half the county half the morning. That was the HIGH point of my day. 

Then we discovered that the license plates on The Lovely Mrs Snake's car were out of date. Like since last November. Started trying to sort that mess out. My state's DMV is nearly shut down due to Coronavirus. Enforcement has been put off on all new renewal due to that, but ours predates it, so we're in more trouble. It can be handled with enough money and papers, but by appointment only, and the first appointment we could get is two weeks from today. So she can't drive it until then. It's minor miracle she hasn't been stopped so far. Yikes.

BTW, she never got any mail notice about the plates. I didn't either this year. I just happened to notice a couple weeks ago that mine expire end of this month, and ordered them online, but hers are such a mess they can't be handled this way. 

I had hottest registration notices on both our cars and renewed registrations on line here in Pennsylvania. They did say there was no leeway on that since it could be done without any contact or even interaction with their staff. Inspection was another matter so my two March expiration stickers were good through end of July.. I haven’t check to see if that was extended since my garage was open and they were happy to help.

That sucks! We’ve dodged that bullet here in PA , while neighborhoods around a were out for days.

Many of my NJ peeps, including my daughter, had been out for days. She packed up her dog and perishable refrigerator / freezer stuff and stayed with my other daughter. 

My friend John near the Jersey Shore bought a whole house natural gas generator right after the chaos of Hurricane Sandy many years ago and hasn’t had the opportunity to benefit from it yet. Talking with my NJ friends all complaining about how long they were out this time.. so I asked if John finally got to use his generator. Nope! He was the only one who didn’t lose power!

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's undoubtedly because the brake pads aren't retracting from contact with the rotor, obviously.

Precisely what the problem was Bill. This vehicle spent too much time in the Midwest so

salt carroded the calipers. They cleaned them up and appoligized for my inconvenience.

All good now?

Hey...wasn't there a Neon race series? I seem to have a vague memory of that.?

18 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

...Hey...wasn't there a Neon race series? I seem to have a vague memory of that.?

Yup. They are remarkably competent little cars.  https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28067326/new-face-of-vintage-racing-dodge-neon-acr/

Kinda sad...to a lot of dwerps out there, they're thought of as being as disposable as beer cans. But they have a strong following among guys who understand what they can do...particularly the SRT-4.

Glad your mechs got your brakes sorted too.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Internet was out in half the county half the morning. That was the HIGH point of my day. 

Then we discovered that the license plates on The Lovely Mrs Snake's car were out of date. Like since last November. Started trying to sort that mess out. My state's DMV is nearly shut down due to Coronavirus. Enforcement has been put off on all new renewal due to that, but ours predates it, so we're in more trouble. It can be handled with enough money and papers, but by appointment only, and the first appointment we could get is two weeks from today. So she can't drive it until then. It's minor miracle she hasn't been stopped so far. Yikes.

BTW, she never got any mail notice about the plates. I didn't either this year. I just happened to notice a couple weeks ago that mine expire end of this month, and ordered them online, but hers are such a mess they can't be handled this way. 

You don't get mailed registration notices in Styrenestan? Here at the other end of US 50, they mail out notices about 2-3 months in advance. And I kind of remember March, July, and January as our registration months anyway. CA DMV has also put kiosks in several retail locations so if you can't/won't/didn't renew online, you can renew at the grocery store.

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Can you muddle through your DMV situation via smart phone connection?

Here in Idaho I understand the police have relaxed some of these registration 

problems do to c-19. 

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

That sucks! We’ve dodged that bullet here in PA , while neighborhoods around a were out for days.

Many of my NJ peeps, including my daughter, had been out for days. She packed up her dog and perishable refrigerator / freezer stuff and stayed with my other daughter. 

My friend John near the Jersey Shore bought a whole house natural gas generator right after the chaos of Hurricane Sandy many years ago and hasn’t had the opportunity to benefit from it yet. Talking with my NJ friends all complaining about how long they were out this time.. so I asked if John finally got to use his generator. Nope! He was the only one who didn’t lose power!

Before this happened, at least one of my neighbors added solar to their houses, to be honest, ifI were in the position to do something like that, I would probably use Solar, Vertical Wind Turbine(s), battery back up, and a generator like that. Already decided that after that outage we had in November of ‘18, at least if one renewable couldn’t work, I’d have another, a battery backup, AND a Natural Gas alternative to boot!