Model Cars Magazine Forum

Read A Good Book Lately?

Tom Geiger

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. I read The Lion's Game in high school. He's my 3rd cousin twice removed or something like that. Never met him, but some of my family has talked to him. I decided to start at the beginning of the John Corey books, which are his main character series. If you like police detective/terrorist/dark humor action type of stuff, you will like these books. 

Nelson DeMille's books are excellent. The Charm School is still my favourite of his.

I usually have two books on the go at one. Some sort of fiction, and a music biography of some kind.

I'm just finishing Sekret Machines by Tom Delonge. Yes, the guy from Blink 182. The book is excellent, all about Dreamland and reverse engineering alien technology. It's a big one, 700 pages, but it's good. Apparently the first book of a trilogy.

Also recently read Adrenalized by Phil Collen from Def Leppard. Pretty good book. Before that, it was Lita Ford's Living Like A Runaway. Not a great book. She really glossed over a lot of things. Much like Tommy Lee's book, this just seemed really definesive.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I work in Atlanta and live in the ‘burbs so my Audible account really gets to stretch its legs for 2-3 hours each day. I recently re-read The Dark Tower series. Re-read 1984. The 2 best new (to me) reads of late were Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephensen and Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

Just finished "My Tears Spoiled My Aim" by John Shelton Reed.  It is a serio-comedic sociological study of reflections on the Southern culture.  Reed is a professor of sociology and American studies at UNC Chapel Hill.  I have recently picked up "The Lost Airman: a True Story of Escape from Nazi-occupied France" by Seth Meyerowitz, looking forward to getting into that one.

I recently finished listening to all of the Dune novels on audiobook. I've read the original six by Frank Herbert twice before but I wanted to see how the other books by his son turned out. They're a bit hit or miss but not as terrible as the internet would have you believe.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, Rob Hall said:

Just started 'I'll Be Gone in The Dark' by Michelle McNamara (about the Golden State Killer...

I just recently finished that one.  Outstanding. I especially enjoyed it since I saw the 3 1-hr. programs about the GSK on the ID Channel. I lived in Calif. when that was going on and remember the panic.

At a flea market recently I picked up some cheap aviation-history books. Just finished "The Northrop Story 1929-39" by Richard Sanders Allen.  Next on that list will be "The Thunder Factory: An Illustrated History of the Republic Aviation Corporation" by Joshua Stoff.

Also working my way thru "Case Red: The Collapse of France" by Robert Forczyk.  Very big and detailed history of that subject, with descriptions of individual weapons, aircraft etc. and how they worked (or didn't).  Also destroys a lot of old myths about the fall of France, which is always interesting to read.

Just finished re-reading Who Built The Moon by Christopher Knight and Alan Butler.

Most people will write it off as nonsense, but this stuff fascinates me.

The authors of Civilization One return, bringing new evidence about the Moon that will shake up our world. Christopher Knight and Alan Butler realized that the ancient system of geometry they presented in their earlier, breakthrough study works as perfectly for the Moon as it does the Earth. On further investigation, they found a consistent sequence of beautiful integer numbers when looking at every major aspect of the Moon--no such pattern emerges for any other planet or moon in the solar system. In addition, Knight and Butler discovered that the Moon possesses few or no heavy metals and has no core—something that should not be possible. Their persuasive conclusion: if higher life only developed on Earth because the Moon is exactly what it is and where it is, it becomes unreasonable to cling to the idea that the Moon is a natural object. The only question that remains is, who built it?

Currently reading This Is The Noise That Keeps Me Awake. It's the autobiography of the band Garbage. Pretty awesome so far. I read a lot of music biographies, and very few do I really feel like they've given me insight into a band. This one is like a genuine glimpse into the band. It's great.

I just finished two books recently by R.J. Ellory. The first, "The Devil and the River" was outstanding, so I read "A Quiet Belief in Angels" as well. Both outstanding and the various aspects and themes of each are deeply explored.

RIP Tom Wolfe...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/obituaries/tom-wolfe-pyrotechnic-nonfiction-writer-and-novelist-dies-at-88.html

Interesting and insightful writer to say the least. Prompted me to dig out and reread his essay on the mid-sixties socal custom car scene; Ed Roth et al; 'Kandy colored tangerine flake streamline baby'.

mike

• 4 years later...

I read a lot in bed in the evenings to unwind from the day and put me to sleep.

Bought one of the middle books of David Weber's "Safehold" series on a bargain table some time back, just got around to reading it a month ago.

Liked it so much I bought the earlier ones and the later ones, working my way through.

It's science fiction at its best, ripe with insightful social, political and philosophical commentary, but enough battle sequences and intrigues to keep any action junkie entertained.

The story is primarily about the struggle to overthrow a repressive and corrupt government run by power-mad, insanely hypocritical religious zealots, on the last Human-inhabited planet in the galaxy, after the rest of the species has been wiped out by hostile aliens.

It's well written, with the military and tech elements well researched and plausible, and characters that inspire genuine emotional reactions.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Read the one on the Conjuring house by the eldest daughter, Andrea Perron. I also like a lot of rock and roll documentaries. "Trouble Boys" is all about the life of the infamous Minneapolis band The Replacements. If you're a fan, that one is pretty good. Written by Bob Mehr. Another Rock one was "Please Kill Me" by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain. A timeline of the history of punk rock starting with the Doors then on to the Stooges and MC5. Then on to the Ramones NY Dolls, Blondie and everyone in between. I'm in the middle of short ghost stories. I'll let you know how that one went.

• Like 2

Since I last posted, I've read James Ellroy's two most recent novels, This Storm (sequel to Perfidia) and Widespread Panic (a "from-beyond-the-grave autobiography" of famous L.A. private eye Fred Otash). Also hunted around and found a first-edition copy of Henry Gregor Felsen's Cup of Fury (the sequel to Street Rod); I'd heard its ending was changed when it was re-released under the better known title Rag Top. Sure enough, the ending was more bleak than the later version, which had a happier ending tacked on.

• Like 1

Just finished re-reading Astronaut Michael Collins' book, Carrying the Fire. One of the finest astronaut autobiographies written. In my opinion! I first read it 10-12 years ago figured it was time to give it a revisit. 

Started in on a book about the Avro Lancaster by John Nichol. Like his other books it is well written and isn't a dry history book, it's more of personal accounts of the people that flew the aircraft. Recommended if you're into WW2 aviation like I am.

91kOkLNjk2L._AC_UL900_SR615,900_.jpg

8117pWCsJ2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1