Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many of you participate in contests ?

I've only recently got back into building, and luckily Jim B is close to me location-wise and clued me into a few shows. until he told me, I really didn't know such a thing existed [ya, I don't get out much, lol], but since, have been to two shows to see what it's all about, and what kind of builds show up. I think eventually I will actually enter a build, as I saw some builds that were awesome, and some that were not, and after seeing what was entered, I feel at this point in my short career I fall in between stunning and why bother, lol. I also realize after doing the 1:1 car show thing, someone always has a nicer/better detailed/spot on/perfect stance build, so i'm used to the competition thing, but I also try to take something away from the experience, as previously posted, try to make yourself a better builder.

My buddies give me the stink eye and threaten to twist my arm off if I don't enter a build.

I seriously don't believe my skill level is up to par with the entries.

Time period inbetween awards is 9/10 years...LOL

Just being with old/new friends and raiding the vendors parts bins is what I enjoy the most.

I do go to contests and NNL-type events/shows. I didn't for a few years due to a relocation and some economic issues, but I got back into it last year. I have won my fair share of awards over the years (since 1969, I think), having left contests with multiple awards on occasion and empty-handed on occasion. That's life ("ridin' high in April and shot down in May..."). It's a good feeling to bring home the hardware but it's even better when people- i.e., other modelers- take pictures of and ask about my builds. Then, there's the magazine photo ops... THAT'S cool! But all of the events are about camaraderie, actually meeting fellow modelers and learning about modeling- all facets of modeling, from all types of modelers. Each has something to share and we can all learn from each other.

As far as pictures on or in the Forum- I think I have some in my gallery and I am working on getting some more here or there soon. I just consolidated them on "our" laptop; now I just have to get them here somehow.

Once,when they had one competition going with this car meet for US cars. I won second place with this AAR Cuda,not even super nicely done but the competition was a joke as well. Kinda always wanted to go to some bigger contests in Sweden or Finland. Actually what made me into model cars was builders from Finland,they used to have this model car section in the Swedish magazine Wheels,so impressed with the builds. Not even sure if this magazine excist today,they where focusing on hot rods and 50s and 60s US cars.

I have entered, I have sponsored awards and helped judge local contests but that was about twenty years ago due to life events. I am resurrecting my unfinished builds and getting ideas stocked up in order to give the local judges something to pick apart. ;)

I try to enter the ones I can attend. I'm motivated by competition, so for me it is fun to compete against other builders and see what they have created. At the same time though, I still like NNLs even though it is not a contest, so I guess I just like showing off my work! It gives you a good feeling when someone stops to take a picture of your build, and makes you proud of your work.

I attend pretty much (some exceptions due to scheduling conflicts) every show/contest thats within reason to being close to me, I don't build specifically for shows, I don't go in intending to win anything, It's as my friend Danger put it, a way to showcase what I have been up to. I never show the same model more than once.

Biggest reasons I attend, The VENDORS :D that and shooting the breeze with my friends and frequent acquaintances, Sometimes I don't get to chat with some people very often and really only run into them at shows/contests.

I participate in a couple of local contests each year. I don't build for the contests. I use the contests as a showcase to show what I have built over the previous year. I only get 4-6 builds complete each year and I find it enjoyable to showcase them.

Danger

Was that the OSSM show at the Denny's in Clackamas by any chance? I was there and won 1st and 2nd place in Box Stock, and 1st place in motorcycles.

One of my fellow club members was ribbing me afterwards, asking if I needed a box to carry all my awards...

I told him "No, I brought a grocery bag..." :lol:

Yep, I was there. We had to make 3 trips out to the car because we kept circling the room and buying more kits than we could carry.

I try to go to 5 shows each year 2 of them are 4 hour trips one way and another is 2 hours away from me. A couple of them are along with car shows so get to see some cool cars along with the contest. I don't go to win the trophies though. I just go to the shows to meet new people nad usually spend money at the swap meets to get stuff and kits I can't get at a hobby shop. Of course my Closest well stocked hbby shop is 2 hours away.

Hey Mike ! I was there at OSSM, had a great time ! and I thought it was a great show. I got to see a lot of old friends. At what show was the above picture taken? I haven't been to a show lately with a Trophy Girl !! :wub:

Harold

Hi Harold,

That was at the Bob Paeth memorial show at the Portland Roadster show in 2010

I've been to two other shows with trophy girls since then- both at the Albany Winter Rod & Speed show which is coming up in January. Here's a link to the show flyer, my clubmate and friend Stan Reeser puts it on. http://laneautomodelers.org/AlbanySpeedShow2014.JPG

Never been to a contest as I don't think there are any locally.

Greg, do you know about The Big Sit? The local Philly club holds a meeting for car modelers at Mainline Hobbies in the Plymouth Meeting Mall on February 22nd. It's not a contest, just a get together that they've invited all modelers from the region. People display their work, no contest. It's usually well attended and fun.

My motto is "Support your local Gunfighter!"

We are losing so many contest in So Cal area. Either to lack of support or local goverment making it too costly to have a show. I make the shows when I can and recently they have been great for thinning out what I don't need and finding replacements for them! I usually enter models just to help fill out tables since I never expect to win anything. I am happy with just a thumbs up!

And the social aspect is great for catching up with folks you only see at shows or once in a while.

Hey, Jesse!

Phoenix isn't that far from you. C'mon over!

There are four great contest/shows every year:

GoodGuys Spring Nationals in early March.

Desert Scale Classic in April.

Modelzona in early November.

GoodGuys Southwest Nationals in mid-November.

Quite a few Southern Cal builders make the trek and have a great time. If things are dwindling in your back yard, you may need to broaden your horizons a little and check us out!

Jesse,

Unless the communities is southern California have no other options for halls (which is what it sounds like may be the problem you're running into with expense, which, from MassCar's experience, is usually the major cost), try checking into places like churches, VFW/Legion/AMVETS halls, fraternal orders (Masons, Odd Fellows, Eagles, Elks, etc.,) and see if they'll let you rent their dining rooms or function halls. You can usually get those at pretty reasonable rates, and it'll cut costs substantially.

Charlie Larkin