Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 5 weeks later...

I've never seen it in any other box so I've always assumed it was original to Nichimo. It's not exactly what one would call a masterpiece, is it? ;)

The engine is bad (use the MPC 427 Cobra) but the body isn't that bad for a 68 Shelby.

http://public.fotki.com/vamach1/mustang-model-cars/68-shelby.html

Edited by vamach1

• 1 year later...

I LOVED Renwal models when I was a kid!

The George Washington was one of my proudest possessions for years. It was a great model!

Built by my pipe smoking Dad and I! He smoked a pipe 'cause he was quiting Winstons!

And, you got out the magnifier to see the toilets and urinals molded into the bulkhead.

Last year I bought the Renwal USS Shangra La    1/500 aircraft carrier! I'm a total sucker for their box art.                                                                                                             

Some of us are guilty of looking at these Renwal kits with a jaundiced eye. We keep comparing kits of that era with what we have available today. Just remember how much fun you had building one of these when you were a kid. If you happen to run across one of your old favorites, just build it and enjoy. 

The Revival cars come in color flips. Seems like they molded kits in all one color, then another, and mixed interior and exteriors. 

I've got all the flips. Red body and white body Mercer, tan and brown bodied Duesy, pale blue and white bodied Bugattis, etc. took a long time to find a Jordan flip but they're light blue and dark blue bodied. All have the contrasting color interior. 

Ive got a couple Pierces, but no color flip there I've seen. Just burgundy plastic. If anyone has seen a flip on a Pierce please let me know

Cool kits, the military stuff was fun to build too. 

Boy I remember building a lot of Renwal, had the V8, Chassis, radial engine, Visible women, Shangri La, Atomic Cannon, Bulldog tank, wrecker, Ontos, and Patton tanks. The chassis had sandpaper clutch, neat transmission and differential, Kit was huge, Always wanted to build a body for it. One memory was the kits came with a reorder list for parts that you could purchase parts, I went through a lot of camshafts in the V8

greg

At one time they had a line of 1/72 WWI and earlier biplanes with what they called "Aeroskin." The airframes were molded as skeletons, and they came with a tissue-like paper printed with all the paint and markings. You'd lay the Aeroskin over the framework and paint the ribs and structure with Testor Liquid Cement, which would soak through the paper to the plastic beneath and cement them in place. You'd then trim around the edges with Xacto or even a nail file. It was a VERY cool idea that could result in a very professional looking model with relatively little effort. I wish someone would re-introduce the idea today in 1/48 scale.

At one time they had a line of 1/72 WWI and earlier biplanes with what they called "Aeroskin." The airframes were molded as skeletons, and they came with a tissue-like paper printed with all the paint and markings. You'd lay the Aeroskin over the framework and paint the ribs and structure with Testor Liquid Cement, which would soak through the paper to the plastic beneath and cement them in place. You'd then trim around the edges with Xacto or even a nail file. It was a VERY cool idea that could result in a very professional looking model with relatively little effort. I wish someone would re-introduce the idea today in 1/48 scale.

I remember those "Aeroskin" things. I built a bunch of them. They were tiny, but they were cool!

Although balsa frame and tissue, Guillow's makes some really nice kits. The B-17 is humongous! Instead of doping the tissue, you can spray a couple fine mist coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic to seal the pores and stiffen the tissue.

The Renwal airplanes were sort of a cross between those and conventional plastic model airplanes.

Did someone say Renwal?

Awesome. Like the box art too. That an ssr roof on the towncar?

Paint does amazing things to these, and wheels. The SSJ conversion cool, like mine that sits 80%. Messing with lower body to get chassis less visible. Like the Pierce too. 

Cool builds. These kits smell different too when you open them. Odd but unmistakeable. 

The airplane stuff was really innovative. And really fun to build. The cars went together nicely without paint, and looked great on shelf. Pretty amazing the number of builts that survive well. 

Edited by keyser
Forgot

For RC aircraft they make a thin mylar skin. You put it over the aircraft frame and use a heat gun to shrink it into place. I built one years ago before deciding RC aircraft were too much work and expense for what I got out of them. I've never built a balsa and tissue aircraft, but would think the mylar might be an option in place of the tissue and dope.

Yeah, you can use Monokote instead of tissue since it already has a heat activated adhesive on one side. Instead of doping the tissue, you can spray Krylon Clear Acrylic, as I mentioned previously. Some guys use a 50-50 mixture of white glue and water, which is brushed over the tissue in order to stiffen it. 

Yea, that display is over the top!   Great stuff.  I love those old Revival cars, unfortunately I discovered that after they got expensive  :angry:  Even if the tooling exists, I doubt they'd sell today. They sold poorly back in the sixties.

When I was an army brat living in Germany, opportunities to get models were few and far between.  We lived through the Sears Christmas catalog, and they had the Renwal  Visible V8 and Chassis.   Being 12 years old, and believing the printed hype,  I misunderstood that "really works" meant the engine would propel the chassis... possibly with me aboard.  So I asked for those for Christmas.  As with most parents, the chassis was too expensive so I got just the V8 for Christmas that year.  Disappointed, but my father and I built it together over a few evenings.

I bought both the large scale Mercedes and Ferrari back when I was young and foolish.. I figured, her, the price is pretty good, how bad could they be?  Suffice to say, I found out.

Boy, is that an understatement. I couldn't believe that Revell/Monogram would put their name on the reissues.