Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the weirdest kit in your stash?

Perhaps the most unusual kit I do currently own, is the Polar Lights 1:72 scale C-57D from the movie "Forbidden Planet". Unusual not so much for its subject matter, but because of its size. Measuring out at 28" in diameter (7' - 4 1/4" in circumference), it's one of the largest model kits in my stash. Whether or not I'll ever actually build it is questionable.

C-57D_zpsjlppyhty.jpg

Never knew that existed! I'd like to have one.

Does Ira know about this? :lol:

Never knew that existed! I'd like to have one.

Does Ira know about this? :lol:

I don't know why not. He seems to be into anything odd or different. My original thought was to do a large base with a depiction of the scene on the box, but that'll absolutely have to wait until I have some available space to display it.

The weirdest kit I ever saw and wish I had the money to buy it at the time, was in the late 70's. A local model shop had a Japanese model kit of a boom box. It was much smaller than a regular boom box, but had at least one working speaker which you could plug into a music source.... like a real boom box, and play music through it. That ranks right up where with the only thing I've ever been tempted to take from a motel. This one motel I stayed at had ashtrays with a no smoking symbol printed on the bottom of them! ?????? Who comes up with these ideas?

Scott

Well, it sure isn't as unique as some other offerings here, but it's different ..... I got this off a friend; Spacemen & Women by Glencoe; their about 4" tall & each comes with a clear helmet - after looking into it a bit, I found out that these were made for a short time & in a few color combos; mine is the first run, bronze & light blue - the original set ( produced in the 40's ) ..... were made by Archer

post-3336-0-89344100-1429171784_thumb.jp

post-3336-0-03381800-1429171815_thumb.jp

post-3336-0-59678000-1429171845_thumb.jp

Edited by Krazy Rick

Though I don't currently own any, years ago, LS made 1:1 scale gun and weapon kits. I had several.

LS6.jpgoriginal_zpsztpmdmls.jpg

LS%20P506%20PotatMash_zpsdif226pj.jpg

500x500_zpsxv0ltkom.jpg

I have the P.38 and the S&W M29 .44 Magnum. I wish I'd picked up several more of these when they were available...but they were expensive. The last time I saw them they were priced at $29.95 when the typical model car kit (for comparison) was maybe $6, or maybe $8.

P38Kit2.jpg

P38Model.jpg

That's interesting. Say................is that an La-7 there?

Nope, Yak-9, Eduard weekend kit. I was doing it (and a dozen or so more), as ceiling queens, like these three, but abandoned the project a few months ago when I moved out of my house.

012612002_zps9cce8b95.jpg

010712012_zps4940f760.jpg

03%2003%2012%20021_zpsfadnua6q.jpg

Nose looks inline to me...one of the various Yak family, perhaps?

Good call.

Well, if you want to see weird, look no further:

DSCF1355_zpscyxz2zuh.jpg

A few others out of my stash worth mention,

1/1 scale rhinoceros beetle

DSCF1351_zpsphp3pvei.jpg

1/72 F-19 Stealth fighter

Released in 1987. At the time there was rumors going around that the USAF had a top secret "stealth" fighter airplane. This kit was made as an educated guess of what this plane might look like. Needless to say, once the real stealth fighter was revealed this kit was never seen again.

DSCF1353_zps4omwnn3a.jpg

1/87 Bates mansion

Made to scale to fit right in on your HO railroad layout. What's not to love?

DSCF1348_zpsaavxnals.jpg

I have the P.38 and the S&W M29 .44 Magnum. I wish I'd picked up several more of these when they were available...but they were expensive. The last time I saw them they were priced at $29.95 when the typical model car kit (for comparison) was maybe $6, or maybe $8.

They can still be found on "the bay" from time to time, but as you say, they can get sort of pricey. Still, bargains can be had. I'll probably add a few of the guns and grenades back to my stash, "one of these days".

Well, if you want to see weird, look no further:

DSCF1355_zpscyxz2zuh.jpg

Odd, I've never been a fan of the Donks, yet I did buy two diecasts (Mustang and Charger) that were so cool looking in the box that I just had to have them. Now I can't seem to even give them away, not that giving them away is a desirable option.