Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda - Lime Light - Finished Pics

RandyB.

Randy I painted by back panel black last night and I am getting ready to paint the body this weekend. I have been pondering how to do the tailights and I was glad to see your post last night. I have a question on your taillights. Did you use like just a regular red paint or did you use a transluscent red for the lenses? Thanks

Randy I painted by back panel black last night and I am getting ready to paint the body this weekend. I have been pondering how to do the tailights and I was glad to see your post last night. I have a question on your taillights. Did you use like just a regular red paint or did you use a transluscent red for the lenses? Thanks

Thanks guys for all the great comments and input so far. Some of the input I have received has helped me build a better model so far such as Bill (gtx6970) brought it to my attention that the elastomeric bumpers did not have bolts as the chrome bumper does...I didn't even clue into that.

David...to answer your question regarding the paint I used for the tail lights. It was Testors Dark Red #4 brush paint in the small little bottle. Regular white for the back up lights. Gently hold a round toothpick flat to wipe off any excess red, white and black paint that will most likely slop over unto the chrome trim on the bezels. This method works good. Let the paint dry a bit before you rub it off.

Thanks guys for all the great comments and input so far. Some of the input I have received has helped me build a better model so far such as Bill (gtx6970) brought it to my attention that the elastomeric bumpers did not have bolts as the chrome bumper does...I didn't even clue into that.

David...to answer your question regarding the paint I used for the tail lights. It was Testors Dark Red #4 brush paint in the small little bottle. Regular white for the back up lights. Gently hold a round toothpick flat to wipe off any excess red, white and black paint that will most likely slop over unto the chrome trim on the bezels. This method works good. Let the paint dry a bit before you rub it off.

Randy thanks I will use your method.

Thanks again everyone!

Got the wheels finished up today. It took longer to do these than anticipated. I wanted to paint a thin black line between the inner hub and wheel to show a demarcation line indicating some sort of shadowing. The trouble is there is not a deep enough grove to get a nice black line in there to paint without looking sloppy so I came up with the idea of scribing a deeper line very carefully with my scriber and then using a fine black sharpie to make my line. I touched up the silver and steel parts and narrowed the black line down a bit to make it look more realistic. The inner hub was painted Testors Steel in the small bottle and the outer wheel was painted Testors Aluminum in the small bottle. The area around the lug nuts I also blacked out with flat black brush paint.

images_zpsbac09d15.jpeg

Pictures1334a_zpsa23631fc.jpg

I've only talked to him via the web, but after doing so, I placed an order for some decals, resin wheels, and resin tires. I'm very impressed. He has a large selection of tire decals, and I suspect he'd do something a little "custom" if you needed him to.

As an aside, your work on this kit is most impressive!

Edited by Jonathan

I bought the AMT tires and they do fit perfectly with the wheels. I will try to get pictures posted this weekend of my build. Randy, I like your look to the wheels they look more like 1:1 to me. I keep looking at the Revell wheels and thinking they don't look quite right to me. I took my Scale Equip LTD Ralley wheels out last night a set I bought a few years ago to see if they might work but I think it might take quite a bit of work. Maybe on my 2nd Cuda build I will try them. They look a little more accurate to me than the Revell wheels. I don't know why the Revell wheels look a little off from the real wheels. It is probably just me.

Well this build is coming together quite nicely. It was a bit of a trick getting the body unto the chassis but found out it is better to install the back end in first then the front. I have a set of white lettering tire decals coming but won't be mailed out until after Christmas so I might have to go back and apply the white lettering after the 'Cuda is finished. So impressed with this kit I have bought another one that will be painted in Tor-Red (Hemi Orange) in the future. Have a look and see what you think.

Pictures1340a_zpsfcdd5c35.jpg

Pictures1337a_zps90d3fe0d.jpg

Pictures1343a_zps00681acd.jpg

More to come!

Edited by RandyB.