Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the best model kit you ever got for Christmas?

I did a quick search,and didn't find this topic,so I'll start it.

As the title says,what was the best kit you ever got? Pick just one-I know it's hard to do.

For me it was 1963 when I got a Monogram Big Drag. I bugged my parents for a long time about that one. Sears and Roebucks had them in the Christmas catalog,or the 'wish book' Remember that?

If I remeber right,it was a whopping $9.95! quite a bit for then. I was a little overwhelmed by the sheer size of it,so my older brother built most of it for me. I was 11. I can still smell those tires...

What was yours?

003-81.jpg

Christmas of 1969 I got a Hot Wheels track set, the track is looong gone but I still have the two cars that came in the set and have been collecting Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars ever since.

Maybe this up coming year will be the time to build that Tamiya Honda, Austin ?? :P

The only model I ever got for Xmas was a three ship set when I was 8. They were my first models and my Dad built the freighter while I did the tugboat. My Dad showed me how to build and I got hooked! No one ever gave me a kit after that ... I think I was too focused on specific ones and usually saved and bought them myself!

Being a military brat living in foreign countries, we lived our lives through the Sears Wish Book. The PX even had a Sears desk where you could place orders to be picked up there. It was probably 1969 or 1970 and I requested that Santa bring me the Renwal Visible V8 and Visible Chassis, as shown in the mentioned catalog. In my young reasoning, they said the engine actually ran, so I figured if I had the chassis too, I could drive it around!

I did get the V8 but someone neglected to get me the chassis! As has been said by others, it was expensive and I guess my father didn't want me driving around. I was somewhat disappointed. My father and I assembled the V8 together, pretty much like all our projects together... he did the fun work and I cleaned up and handed him parts.

Christmas 1964. Before:

11544740956_ec6ce12232_c.jpg

...And my little brother and me, after. Cars, cars, cars capped off by a Crusader 101.

I don't recall ever getting a model for Christmas but I remember getting a Crusader 101 !

It was in 1964 and was the best present I ever got !! :D

Mine is a tie.....two different Christmases.

As a thirteenish kid, I got both the Garlits front engine rail and the Candies and Hughes Cuda funny car.

Then as a married adult, my wife got me both the Circus Wagon and Rommel's Rod. Proof she accepts my addiction.

Jesse I think I just relived that moment of your childhood but with the George Follmer Trans am Javelin. This puppy was sealed until this morning when I finally opened him after arguing with myself about breaking the seal. The decals are like new, the tires are almost fresh, the chrome didn't wear through any wheres, and the body is fresh from the molds.You couldn't ask for a cleaner vintage kit, much less a johan :D100_1344-vi.jpg

And here it is with it's brother

.100_1345-vi.jpg