Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need your opinions....there is no right or wrong answer

Peter Lombardo

Ok, this is not the type of question you would see here, but I need some input from you guys.

If you work in a car dealership or a related field you may have a different view on this.

My question(s), and I really want an honest answer to it, is......Buying a new car.....I am sure most, if not all of you (slightly older guys), have purchased, leased or financed a new vehicle.......so, what is the best and the worst aspect of the process?

Do you injoy it? Hate it? Have you searched on line for it? Do find the information that you need? What would you like to see changed, if anything? and would you, if you could, buy a car "on-line".....I mean by that have all the information you need to purchase a new vehicle without stepping foot in a dealership.

Give this a little thought and let me know, if I am not asking too much from you......I would really love to hear from a cross-section of the country...

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your thoughts, and I will explain all of this once we see the result....assuming I get some results........thanks.

The Worst part:

Listing how great the car is from and hour straight from the salesman.. then going into the financier's office and have him tell you just as passionately that the car is a piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and if you don't buy the extended warranty, you'll be super sorry.

we have bought 2 cars (used) in the past 3 months, one was a great experience (believe it or not), the other was just terrible. to keep it short, I can handle the "stuff" from the salesman, it's when you work out a price and then you sit down with the finance people and they hit you with this filing fee and plates and tax and any other thing they can add and the price of the car goes up 15%. second is when they try to pry every last ounce of financial info from you just to tell you no matter what the price, you can afford it.

I'm 67 for reference, so I have bought a few cars ... most were used from dealers and private sellers. The last three I got new.

The part I like best is the ability with the internet to thoroughly research a vehicle.

The worst, as I have always felt, is having to deal a price ... I always walk away feeling I haven't gotten the best deal, even after getting what I asked for. That's probably just me.

My girlfreind is a car sales man for a local VW dealership here. Shes been working there 6 years now, and she said that on they new cars they only mark them up $300 over what the dealership has in them. She says most of the time they will knock the $300 off the car and throw in window tint or some kind of deal like free oil changes or car washes for a year.

she said the dealship looses money on every new car they sell, but make a killing on selling the used (trade in) car.

Idk if thats much help to ya or not.

If you are buying (not leasing)...

Rule 1: Never finance the car through the dealer. Financing is where they make their profit. They will throw so many facts and figures at you, that you will become hopelessly confused. Believe me, even though you may have "agreed" on a selling price, the finance guy will find a very sneaky way to wring more $$$ out of the deal. The finance guy does this every day, for a living, and he/she is good at it, whereas you buy a new car once every couple of years (or more) and simply can't outplay the finance guy. The finance guy will win every time, no matter how smart or informed you are. Simply avoid the finance guy and have your loan set up elsewhere before you set foot into any dealership... and let them know you already have the loan taken care of. The dealer is only going to sell you a car... not a loan.

Rule 2: Do all your research online ahead of time. Know exactly what you want before you enter the dealership. Salesmen love people who haven't made up their mind, and will upsell you... to either a more expensive model, or more options.

Rule 3: Do not factor your trade-in into the deal. They will lowball your trade-in's value. Work your deal straight up... new car only, no trade-in. Sell your old car privately. In almost every case, you will get more for it that way than what a dealer will offer you.

The last new car I bought (before the one I currently have, which was a unique situation), I figured out what car I wanted by doing online research. I already knew the basic type of car I wanted, so I read reviews, comparisons, Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds ratings, etc. etc. I also optioned the car exactly how I wanted it, and found all the pricing ahead of time. I walked into the dealership with a manila folder full of references. I knew exactly what the car I wanted–optioned how I wanted it–would cost the dealer. I knew about holdback, the myth of "dealer invoice," etc. I told the salesman what I wanted, told him I would add $300 to my price for his trouble and to let him make a few bucks, and asked if he would sell me the car at the price I asked.

The first couple of places wouldn't do it. They said they "can't" sell me the car that cheaply. Obviously a lie... they can sell me the car for whatever price they want. Heck, they could give me the car for free if they wanted. There is no "can't"... it's really "we don't want to sell it that cheap, we want to make more money on your deal." As soon as they said no deal, I thanked them for their time and walked out. You have to stand your ground... some places, the guy will literally follow you to the door and beg you to stay and "work something out." Don't fall for it.

After 4-5 dealership visits, I found a dealer willing to sell me the car I wanted, optioned how I wanted it, at the price I wanted to pay.

Of course, this only works if you are willing to special order a car made to your exact option list and are willing to wait 6-8 weeks or whatever. I already had a car, I was in no hurry. But in the end I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted.

The VAST majority of car sales-people I've encountered have zero technical knowledge about what they're selling. Yeah, they may know it has ABS brakes and 8 cylinders....but they have no clue as to how ABS works, or where the cylinders are. You may as well ask the checkout girl in the grocery store, or a homeless man on the street if you want any hard information about a car. Your answers will be about as relevant.

And I've got to take issue with the dealers who still try to load a fast-selling car up with mandatory useless add-on BS like "dealer prep" and "paint sealant" and "undercoating". It would seem the manufacturer only finished the car about half way from all the idiotic stuff they'll try to cram on the sale.

I agree with the comment about "extended warranties" too. If the car is so bad that I'm really going to "be sorry" if I don't buy the warranty, I don't want it. Of course, they catch all the idiots on the same play on stereos, washing machines and lawnmowers too.

Then there's the instant depreciation that hits a new vehicle as it crosses the dealers curb on the way out.

i could go on and on and on about deceptive financing practices that fleece the folks who are too stupid or too lazy to run their OWN numbers, or the typical incompetence of the dealer service departments if there IS a warranty problem with the vehicle that takes some intelligence and thought to sort out. All these (and others) are reasons I'll never buy a NEW car again...EVER.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The flip side of this is that most new cars are really SO GOOD, that buying a well-cared for example that's a few years old from an individual will save you many thousands of bucks, and gets you a car that's still LIKE new and will run happily for hundreds of thousands of more miles.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Buying a car online? Nah. Researching cars online sure, but there's nothing that takes the place of getting some seat time in the real deal. I was lately thinking of getting into a Mustang, and figured only a V8 would make my lead foot happy. After driving a V6, I came away convinced that the smaller engine was entirely adequate for sane on-road use. No amount of "virtual shopping" would have let me get the real feel of the thing, nor would it have let me realize I didn't particularly like the OVERALL feeling of heaviness of the car. NO SALE.

We bought a new Nissan Rogue and a Frontier in December. A really good friend works for Nissan so we were able to use her discount. We went to the dealer looking for the vehicles we wanted and worked the best deal we could and were comfortable with. Then we pulled out the certificate for discount. The sales guy almost dropped as did the GM. So the deal is going through and they want us to finance through Nissan. Not a chance since we had already made arrangements through our bank.

I would never buy a car on line but might make a sort of arrangement to buy if one was ok once I was there...maybe. Unless I dealer puts it in writing with all stipulations I will never buy an extended warranty again...we did once on a car that was 1 year old 19,000.miles bought 7 year 100,000.mile coverage...(dealer neglected to tell me the extended warranty starts the very first day the car was put into service when it was new and that does include the factory 3 tear 36,000 mile original warranty for a total of only 4 years extra so we paid for the original warranty coverage ourselves) When the car was 6 years old to us the trans went out...was on my own to get it repaired with only 60,000 moles on it...it had passed the 7year(extended) warranty we paid for...buyer beware.

I have had the opportunity to buy a few cars, two of them new and two used. What I noticed works best in your advantage is to have the ability to walk away. The best deal we ever got was on my wife's jeep. I told them "I know you have really tried to make this work and it is a good deal, but the numbers just don't work for us. I appreciate your time." We got halfway to the parking lot and they chased us down. There's a difference between saying it's too much and actually walking away. It's not easy.

I have purchased two cars in the last year - one brand new, one used - both from dealers. Besides it being a tiring process - does it really take four hours to finish up all this paperwork? When I sell a car, money, sign, bye! - it was a painless experience.

They throw lots of numbers at you, but just focus on one number - total price. You should already know the financing specifics, so all the other stuff is just smoke and mirrors.

Tell the finance guy "no" on everything. It's a hard sell - they try and make you feel foolish and stupid, but they are just greedy little trolls! My car came with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty - I don't need to extend that for $2367. Move on, bro.

The internet is huge in researching and comparing prices.

Yes, I would buy a car online.

No, I would not buy a car online only. As others have said the internet is invaluable for research but there is no way I would buy a car without my wife and i trying it out. It has to be one that suits both of us, that we both find comfortable and useful. When we bought my current car, a Honda CRV, I set out thinking we would be buying a Ford Escape but after looking and sitting in and driving all possibilities locally we ended up with the Honda as we felt the layout and other amenities suited us better. You can't get that experience online.

I have had the opportunity to buy a few cars, two of them new and two used. What I noticed works best in your advantage is to have the ability to walk away. The best deal we ever got was on my wife's jeep. I told them "I know you have really tried to make this work and it is a good deal, but the numbers just don't work for us. I appreciate your time." We got halfway to the parking lot and they chased us down. There's a difference between saying it's too much and actually walking away. It's not easy.

exactly - there are two parts to buying a car. The emotional - that's excatly the car that I want and the financial arrangements. They have to be kept separate and if one doesn't work, it's not the right deal.

I also agree with the comment about using a credit union. Much more pleasant people to work with than the dealer.

Around here, the sales person's first question is always how much do I want to pay. I answer honestly and say "nothing". Seems to trip them up when they have to give the first number. However, over the last 20 years I've only dealt with 2 dealers that had good, smart salespeople and didn't play games so it was a pleasant experience.

hope this helps

I have been helping my son with a new car search and found something I like a lot. As a Vet, I have USAA insurance. (I was an agent for other companies but always kept their car insurance). They deal with active duty military, ex military and their families only! They are run by Vets for Vets and are a cooperative not a company owned by stock holder. Ok, it did a bit of a rant their but they are not like other financial institutions. The have a car buying service that has associations with local dealers. You call USAA up. Tell them what you want and how it is equipped and they take it from there. They search the local dealers, find the car, give you the info on what the margin is. The only reason you are in the dealer is to sign paper work and pickup the car. You just avoid the whole deal. Very simple and easy. Now I know there are other services out there like this, but these guys have build up a level of trust with their policy holders that others just can't match. I have been in insurance and investments for 30 years and I never once doubted them. I have been a customer for 42 years. They know how to take the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of buying a car. If you are thinking of setting up a dealership or the like, you would be well served to look at their model.

The last car my wife and I bought was from a GM dealer. Test drove it and they had us buying it before we talked about it. Did not want us to sleep on it and my wife was afraid they would sell it. Never buy one unless your sure. if they are pushy or to fast leave. We bought the car but think we could have got a better deal. I will never be rushed again....

The worst experience I had was when I bought a Buick LeSabre from a reputable Olds dealer. There was a problem with the ABS and they refused to fix it without charging me $945. That was when the car was first purchased and that 30-day statutory warranty was in full effect.

It took a lot of arguing and calls and letters to every single manufacturer this particular agency represented- and boy did they get squeezed. I got the car fixed, but no better. Not even an apology.

Turned out all the people I knew who dealt with these folks had dealt with the father. His kids were running the business into the ground. Unfortunately, shortly after I bought the car, it developed some other problems, and I ended up getting something else.

This was when the Internet was newish, but I still did a lot of online shopping, and ended up getting what I got.

I don't know if I've ever had a "best" experience aside from getting a couple of real good deals- from the junkyard of all places! We bought a few cars from the wreckers around here, and they gave us good service for little outlay.

I'm at the point now where there are only about five or six dealers I'd do business with, at least for a new car, and I'm so adamant about it, I'd travel 3-4 hours to buy because I know I'll be treated fairly.

Charlie Larkin

I hate salespeople who refuse to listen to the customer and keep pushing their agenda. This past year my older daughter wanted to buy a specific 2012 Ford Fusion with 18,000 miles a local Ford dealer advertised on-line. We call ahead, yes the car is available. We get there, they 'can't find the car' and try to sell us higher priced cars. We decide to leave-- suddenly they 'find' the car.

The salesman tries the "How much a month can you afford?" We tell him we're paying cash. He continues to try to sell a payment. He goes and moves the 'found' car out front of the building (we're sitting inside). He disappears. He drives up in a brand new Fusion in the same white color. Then he invites us outside and tries to sell us the new one. "Honey wouldn't you feel safer in a new car for only $200 a month more?" (The new one is double the price of the 2 yr old car) Again we state our position that we are paying cash for the used one. I add that if a Fusion with 18,000 miles on it is unsafe or unreliable, we will be buying neither.

We test drive and decide to buy the used one. It's a very nice, fully loaded car that was leased for 24 months, but was taken back in an early return / lease upgrade after 20 months with 18,000 miles on it. Verified by paperwork. Actually verified by the lady who had it when my daughter ran into her in a parking lot and she recognized the car. I negotiate the price we want. We go across the street (a branch of our bank was literally across the street from the dealer) and get the check. We get in with the F&E guy who I cut off quick about extras and junk. With the check on his desk he again tries to get us to finance the car! Do these guys ever quit?!

All in all, a trying day. Totally sucked the fun out of what could've been a nice experience.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Charging finance charges on the trade in value and downpayment is what infuriates me about the process.

You've got to be kidding me?!

I would've called the manufacturer and complained, as well as your state's attorney general, immediately after walking out and putting a stop-pay on any cheques issued and demanding return of any keys turned over- or call the police to report false imprisonment.

Absolutely unacceptable.

I've gotten to the point where there are about six or eight dealers- in total, I will even consider doing business with, at least as far as new car dealers go. Two Chevy dealers, two Ford dealers (one of which handles Lincolns,) two Buick-GMC dealers, one Cadillac dealer I'll even consider doing business with (most of the ones in this area are horrible,) and a couple of Mopar dealers, and then maybe one or two I'd keep as reserves (e.g., my first choices didn't have what I wanted, didn't get a good-enough deal, or something like that.) There are also about a dozen used car dealers I'd trade with- interesting that it's easier to find a good Class B dealer around here than a Class A dealer.

All the foreign dealers around here have reputations that would make the examples in Tom and Ken's posts blush with embarrassment; they tend to be the scuzziest of the lot. No big loss, I don't like foreign cars anyway.

My list is sufficiently fixed now that even if I move to WMass or up to New Hampshire or Maine, I'd drive back if I were looking for a new car.

Charlie Larkin

What I don't get is how much financing goes around with buying cars in The States, it is so normal to buy a car one can't afford, put a finance on it and 'buy' it.

Over here in Europe, they have financing too, but I think less than 5% of the car buyers actually use that.

Personally I never loaned money for a car, I think it is simple; if you need to finance, you can't afford. And next to that; no matter how good the rates are, with financing you always loose money.

Why not save money till you can buy a car? I know the banks over there suck big time, but still....