Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 Indy 500 winning Watson Old Calhoun signed by Parnelli Jones

I just completed the AMT Parnelli Jones 1963 Indy 500 winning Agajanian Willard Battery Special Watson Roadster that was nicknamed Old Calhoun. I posted previously On The Workbench photos under
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90890&hl=
I built this model for a friend who already had the box autographed by Parnelli Jones and now can get Parnelli to sign the model at the Pacific Northwest Historic Car Races on the July Fourth weekend where Parnelli is the guest of honor.
- The model was painted with Tamiya Pearl White and Metallic Blue
- Had to make up a template to paint the blue. Kit decals for red scallops not long enough so used red vinyl which still needs some work.
- Decals are definitely showing their age. The carrier had yellowed and was milky.
- It was a fun and interesting project and I am glad I got a chance to build this model.
photo-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki
photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 1

Great job! :) I've been wanting to build one of those for a long time so I should go view your workbench thread. That's one of the last great "manly man" race cars before the mid engine Lotus and its dainty kin took over completely a couple of years later.

Phil, I saw this on the workbench!!!! Awesome finished build, Parnelli is a hoot!!!! You will have a great time and he will appreciate the build.

He, Foyt, Ward, Mario, JR etc came up in a era that a driver or drivers lost their lives at tracks all over the county on a weekly basis. In my book these guys are lucky to be alive and all had their share of injuries.

They did it for the love of the sport not the $$$$$$$$$ The last of the Gladiators and Racing Hero's

• 2 weeks later...

I got Parnelli Jones to sign my model at the Pacific Northwest Historic Road Races near Seattle where he was the honored guest. He even said I got the blue pretty close and he should know because he actually was reacquainted and lapped Old Calhoun only a few weeks previous at the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...