Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Old British sports car day.  TR-3, an Austin Healey Sprite, and most notable of all an MGA.  What was notable about the MGA was it had British Columbia plates, a minimum of 1000 miles from home.  Single driver with zinc oxide dabbed on his face.  I have to image the space taken up by tools and spare parts had to at least equal that taken up with his clothing.  Courage and confidence personified.  Oh, and all the cars were various iterations of red.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Old British sports car day.  TR-3, an Austin Healey Sprite, and most notable of all an MGA.  What was notable about the MGA was it had British Columbia plates, a minimum of 1000 miles from home.  Single driver with zinc oxide dabbed on his face.  I have to image the space taken up by tools and spare parts had to at least equal that taken up with his clothing.  Courage and confidence personified.  Oh, and all the cars were various iterations of red.

I will be in Sonoma County next week. It is always interesting to see what is driving around up there.

3 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Ooh, I forgot: a TR-4A likewise in....red.  A really good day.  My best results are usually around the east side of Santa Rosa and around the wineries and vicinity of Healdsburg.  (When a lion looks for a zebra to take down, she hangs around the water hole.)

3 hours ago, charger74 said:

Its a plymouth valiant signet 

Look at the back half of the car.

A friend of mine worked in a Mopar wrecking yard several years ago.  On a couple of occasions they put Dart front clips 0n 64-66 Barracudas.

15 hours ago, sfhess said:

Look at the back half of the car.

A friend of mine worked in a Mopar wrecking yard several years ago.  On a couple of occasions they put Dart front clips 0n 64-66 Barracudas.

Yes, it looks like a US Dart GT with a Signet front clip. I was wondering if this was another Plodge or if someone built it.

I have been in Sonoma County, CA all week, and we ventured down to Marin County today. Sightings have been much poorer than usual. Some Jeep dealer must be having a BOGO special on Grand Wagoneers, because they seem to be the "cool" $100k SUV now. Take that, Land Rover!

Coolest thing I have seen was today in Point Reyes Station. A tan early '80s Toyota Starlet with a surfboard rack and board on the roof. No pics, the sketchy-looking owner was nearby. On the same street, was a nicely preserved Westfalia Vanagon Syncro. No pics either.

41 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I have been in Sonoma County, CA all week, and we ventured down to Marin County today. Sightings have been much poorer than usual. Some Jeep dealer must be having a BOGO special on Grand Wagoneers, because they seem to be the "cool" $100k SUV now. Take that, Land Rover!

Coolest thing I have seen was today in Point Reyes Station. A tan early '80s Toyota Starlet with a surfboard rack and board on the roof. No pics, the sketchy-looking owner was nearby. On the same street, was a nicely preserved Westfalia Vanagon Syncro. No pics either.

Mentioning of Point Reyes Station brought this to mind, found it parked on one of the side streets.  Unrestored to the point of being untouched.  The dash pad and interior were severely worn and sun-baked but still quite the catch.

lAhqh6Sl.jpg

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Junkman said:

Mentioning of Point Reyes Station brought this to mind, found it parked on one of the side streets.  Unrestored to the point of being untouched.  The dash pad and interior were severely worn and sun-baked but still quite the catch.

lAhqh6S.jpg

Wow, nice! As a 19 year old import auto parts employee, I sold about $1000 (in 1979 dollars) in engine parts to someone who was trying to rebuild a gullwing engine after an ill-fated trip to Tahoe that resulted in overheating and a blown head gasket.