Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

45 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, every time I quit exercising and hiking for a while, it takes longer and more ibuprofen to get back up to speed.

Ice baths have helped me out with recovery a lot. In the beginning they suck, but it gets easier every time I do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

This week started off with a trip back to the hospital on Monday. Because of the edema I have been having to take a lot of Lasix to get rid of the excess water. It is a tricky balance becuase the Lasix are hard on the kidneys however the edema has its negative effects on the body. My cardiologist wanted to have my kidney functions monitored and still be able to get improvement  with the edema.

Got back out of the hospital on Wednesday. Down to approx 240 from 299 lb(Jan 2). Beginning to feel a lot better as things improve. Besides having more energy i can get shoes and socks on without it being such a fight.  Looking forward to getting some bench time in.

• Like 5

Got tickets to the San Diego Surf Film Festival. We're going to spend a good chunk of the long weekend binge-watching surf movies. Festivities include two surf contests. My wife's cousin is one of the featured artists. Sometimes life is just good. 

• Like 2

Spent a rainy day here on the east coast of Florida replacing the entire electrical system on a customer's Model A Ford. One of several prewar projects I have lined up for the next few months. Any day working on vintage Fords is a good day!

IMG_20240214_112318059.jpg

IMG_20240214_112337194.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Spent a rainy day here on the east coast of Florida replacing the entire electrical system on a customer's Model A Ford. One of several prewar projects I have lined up for the next few months. Any day working on vintage Fords is a good day!

IMG_20240214_112318059.jpg

IMG_20240214_112337194.jpg

What head does he have on that engine? I have a Brumfield head on mine but it's indistinguishable from stock. That cool head is definitely different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Did you do the alternator, distributor, and fan conversions too?

No, that was all pre existing. It also has a high compression head and downdraft intake and a later model Ford transmission with OD. The current owner bought it in a package deal of the man's entire Model A collection of cars & parts. This Phaeton got a very amateur restoration, lots of corners cut. IT will be interesting to see how it drives and what surprises unfold at that stage. The current owner has not driven it since purchase.

4 hours ago, peter31a said:

What head does he have on that engine? I have a Brumfield head on mine but it's indistinguishable from stock. That cool head is definitely different.

It's a Simmons. I think they're around 6:1 

• Like 1

Actually, two things pleased me this week, 

1) My 97 Accord was in the shop on Monday for a steering issue and the time to get it fixed took just a couple of hours for my mechanic and the bill as not as big as I though. 

2) The school kids are of this week and so I'm kicking back and enjoying the peace and quiet. Meanwhile, one of the mechanics at work has my school bus in the shop for some routine upkeep. 

Edited by John M.

A few months ago, we discovered a rat making a nest in my model stash. I had to pull a bunch of models out to clean out the nest and delete the rat. Those models found their way inside, and looking at the stack, I reflected on what a cool hobby this is. That pile was stocked with all kinds of neat stuff. Our stashes say a lot about ourselves in a nice positive way. That doesn't happen very often. So, at the risk of revealing my eclectic tastes, I give you the rescue pile. 

IMG_5090.jpg

• Like 3

I got new neighbours last week. I hope they dont stay too long as they have been throwing their trash out the window instead of placing it in a bin like decent people. So due to human nature and the excitement a mystery parcel can generate, I have individually wrapped each peice of litter and posted back to them. But simple forgetful me forgot to add any postage on any of the 16 peices of mail they are about to recieve, so to find out whats inside they will have to pay the postage first which due to the ground being small rocks may be higher than it would have been. Hopefully paying out close to 100 quid to get their rubbish returned will make them think twice

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

A few months ago, we discovered a rat making a nest in my model stash. I had to pull a bunch of models out to clean out the nest and delete the rat. Those models found their way inside, and looking at the stack, I reflected on what a cool hobby this is. That pile was stocked with all kinds of neat stuff. Our stashes say a lot about ourselves in a nice positive way. That doesn't happen very often. So, at the risk of revealing my eclectic tastes, I give you the rescue pile. 

Your wide range of interests resemble mine. Who wooda thunk...   :D

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I got new neighbours last week. I hope they dont stay too long as they have been throwing their trash out the window instead of placing it in a bin like decent people. So due to human nature and the excitement a mystery parcel can generate, I have individually wrapped each peice of litter and posted back to them. But simple forgetful me forgot to add any postage on any of the 16 peices of mail they are about to recieve, so to find out whats inside they will have to pay the postage first which due to the ground being small rocks may be higher than it would have been. Hopefully paying out close to 100 quid to get their rubbish returned will make them think twice

I often think how great it would be if I could get all the cans, wrappers, diapers, and the occasional tires and furniture dumped these last few years across the street from my house fingerprinted, and send them all back to their donors with a nice friendly letter of appreciation.   ;)

8 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Oh rats.. Not good at all but look on the bright side if they didn't chew on any kits. You may have been lucky enough to have hobby rats.. Lol

2 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Oh rats.. Not good at all but look on the bright side if they didn't chew on any kits. You may have been lucky enough to have hobby rats.. Lol

The rat chewed the Stearman box, but didn't damage the contents. My cat has gotten too elderly to patrol that area anymore. We have a couple of new ones that are still getting settled in. Hopefully, one of them will take up the mantle. Otherwise, I'll just have to keep building models so I go up there and find them when they move in. 

They usually chew something toxic long before they get to my model kits. 

On 2/22/2024 at 4:39 AM, stitchdup said:

When it comes to that kind of people' I'm pretty sure you have wasted your money.

I was having problems with my sight recently which was making modelling fairly difficult. It was particulary bad doing foil and i was seeing 5 or 6 of the line i was trying to cut. Today i tried some 1.5 magnification reading glasses and the foil was a cinch. Unfortunately my prep before hand looks bad so the chrome look like it was fitted with a hammer but i dont actually mind that as i can just print another when it starts to bother me and i'll be able to see what i'm doing second time around.

Today I was in line at a local fast-food joint to get a Chocolate Milkshake. The guy behind me tooted his horn and warned me I had a brake light out. I thanked him and paid for his order when I got to the window as a thanks for being a nice guy. I went straight to the Auto parts store at the other end of the strip mall. As I left the shopping center and got onto the main drag I spotted a Maryland State police vehicle behind me. It wasn't long before the red and blue lights 🚔 were lite up. As he asked if I knew why he pulled me over I was grabbing the new bulb and receipt to show him and said because my brake lights out? I explained the story above and stated that what dumb luck? He gave me a warning and we chatted for a minute or two and we parted our ways. Big round of applause for a very professional and personable individual in uniform.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I was having problems with my sight recently which was making modelling fairly difficult. It was particulary bad doing foil and i was seeing 5 or 6 of the line i was trying to cut. Today i tried some 1.5 magnification reading glasses and the foil was a cinch. Unfortunately my prep before hand looks bad so the chrome look like it was fitted with a hammer but i dont actually mind that as i can just print another when it starts to bother me and i'll be able to see what i'm doing second time around.

As long as that hammer is to scale.. Stinks getting old, once I started wearing glasses the eye sight gets worse as the years go by.